Author Topic: xg sound font  (Read 6489 times)

fabdub

• View Profile
xg sound font
« on: 2003-06-03 16:39:22 »
I am using the XG softsynth and I heard there are sond founts for that
anyone can post a link to them...

thank you

Mofokubik

• View Profile
xg sound font
« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-03 17:03:39 »
never heard of a soundfont for yamaha xg soft synth

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
xg sound font
« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-03 22:11:02 »
You cannot use soundfonts with the XG SoftSynth.

fabdub

• View Profile
well..
« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-03 22:26:40 »
i read a post from here and it says that the guy modified the xg.lgp or sumthin and it sounds nicer ?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
xg sound font
« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-04 01:49:02 »
If you want the nicest sound out of your XG SoftSynth that comes with FF7, go to its control panel and switch it from "XGLite" to "XGSoft."  Then select "Yamaha XG MIDI" as the MIDI Data in the FF7 config program.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
xg sound font
« Reply #5 on: 2003-06-04 02:36:21 »
and check in reverb

Goku7

• View Profile
Re: xg sound font
« Reply #6 on: 2003-06-09 02:06:29 »
Quote from: fabdub
I am using the XG softsynth and I heard there are sond founts for that
anyone can post a link to them...

thank you

I think I know what he's talking about:

The DirectMusic upgrade that's on the FF8 Install disc, since it'll give the S-YXG50/70/100+ softsynths the ability to load DLS files, but only for programs written to recognize that part of it, like FF8pc or Winamp.

Add onto that the fact that on the FFSF site, the DLS files are referred to as "Soundfonts" several times, and you can see where the confusion can come up.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
xg sound font
« Reply #7 on: 2003-06-09 02:09:34 »
so your saying i can convert my soundfont to dls (downloadablesynth) and load it on any computer using the synth?

Goku7

• View Profile
xg sound font
« Reply #8 on: 2003-06-09 02:21:41 »
If the conversion survives, then yes.  All the computer really needs is DX6.1 or higher installed, since DLS is usually a software-based solution for soundfont-type capability, though some sound cards (like the Aureal Vortex line, if I'm not mistaken) support complete hardware based loading (like how the SB AWE32/64, Live!, Audigy, etc.  support soundfonts "in hardware"), and still yet others have the capability to acclerate it like it would a DirectSound stream (this capability is usually found in cards that use WDM drivers), resulting in reduced latency even though its not actually done in hardware.

But, there's a decision to make.  DX8/8.1's version of the M$ DLS Synthesizer (on Win98 it's just called "MicroSoft Synthesizer", but I use the name from the later versions of windows to distingush it from the craptastic M$-GS softsynth that nearly every computer has), allows support for "DLS Level2" which supports a lot of the same features that SF2 does when compared to DLS Level-1 (which is important because SF2 is generally a better format than DLS Level-1 feature-wise, and a conversion from SF2 to DLS Level1 may cause some glitches in the resulting DLS file), but often it appears that soundcards that can do DirectMusic acceleration or complete Hardware DLS support, can only handle DLS Level-1.

Geez....I write way too many run on sentences... I gotta cut that out, LOL. :P

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
xg sound font
« Reply #9 on: 2003-06-09 03:36:07 »
Speaking of DLs and stuff
I have some huge 90 MB DLS someone from this board once made. I forget who it was. Its not complete, the volumes on samples are way off. If anyone wants to have it so they can tell me who made it (or even better, fix it) PM me ^_^

Mofokubik

• View Profile
xg sound font
« Reply #10 on: 2003-06-09 04:15:39 »
when i feel like working on my small 4mb soundfont again, ill save it to dls and message you. or just post another topic or something. im only going to do this if its done though.