Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3048772 times)

Bryan244

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03e)
« Reply #2225 on: 2015-12-29 04:13:19 »
Haha maybe that is what he intended. I did swing by chaOs post and it seems like it is not a problem with his models. I was relieved to see that and I hope to get your mod soon. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. I'll definitely donate money to you for your hard work.

ArtVandelay

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: 2015-12-29 20:38:17 »
I didn't post here with any ill intend.
I'm aware of this project for a long time and just couldn't find any answer to my specific problem, not even people that seem to have the same trouble I have with the game lately.
It's just so weird that I'd thought I'd ask you guys who are obviously very knowledgeable about the various FF7 PC releases and their interactions with Reunion/New to Old Converter.

The sound bugging out the way it does at various cutscenes, some sounds only coming from the speakers while the music is playing through the headphones, etc. is something that renders the game not being all that enjoyable and thus I asked for help.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to do so and thanks to everyone involved in the retranslation and menu overhaul project, for reviving my interest and enjoyment in this game.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-29 20:40:47 by ArtVandelay »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: 2015-12-30 02:35:25 »
The problem is that that has nothing to do with the Reunion.   Or, at least, nothing you've said indicates it.  And nothing I do should touch sound.  You'll need to take this problem to its own thread.  This is for Reunion bug reports only. 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: 2015-12-30 02:41:38 »
Latest news:

Because I've bypassed the global timing function in order to deliver true frame based fps, certain things need a rewrite:

Countdown timer (seen in battle and field only) : fixed
World map texture animation (yup... it's handled by the main global timer): fixed
Main game timer: Pending.

Each module in the game needs an update to keep track of the game time and to pause when game is paused (from what I can see, the original global timer will keep counting regardless of pause, which is sucky).  These are:

Field, World map, battle, menu:  All fixed and all come with a new limiter and ability to increase frame rate with Select + up/down
Submarine minigame: fixed and comes with new limiter and ability to increase frame rate with Select + up/down
FMV: Fixed and comes with ability to skip using Select + Start

To do:

Fort Condor, Coaster minigame, Snowboard minigame, G-Bike

Fort Condor already has a faster speed option, but coaster snowboard and Gbike are all handled by Aali's driver in both 1998 and Steam.  As such they will not get any frame speed up but any timers have been made frame based and the main game timer will be incremented properly.

Steam is still going to be a small nut to crack with regards to delivering correct frame rate in Coaster and Snowboard.  But I'm on the case.  :-o
« Last Edit: 2015-12-30 02:44:30 by DLPB »

Bryan244

• View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: 2015-12-30 02:57:29 »
Great detailed report! I can't wait for this to be replaced. Global timing function? I apologize if I am not familiar with the terminology lol

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: 2015-12-30 03:01:13 »
It's the function that runs globally, all the time.  It's just a name I've given it.  It's main job is to make sure the game timer is kept up to date as you enter minigames, FMvs, menus and so forth.  Each module has its own code and without a global timer, you'd have to do what I am doing.  This was not an issue with PSX because it's running at 60fps across all consoles.  It is an issue with PC since the timer would be real time, regardless of if your comp was handling the frame rate properly or not.

This was most easily seen at the start of the game in Bombing Mission... In the past, people with slower comps had a much harder time getting out in time because the counter was counting down in real time, while Cloud was running/animating at slower rate than the game was designed for.  This is still an issue in PC with time-critical games like Snowboard (each play through will have differences in time, even if you play the exact same).  But I've fixed that issue now.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-30 03:03:19 by DLPB »

Bryan244

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: 2015-12-30 03:20:02 »
I never knew about that and I'm glad you explained it to me. I'm glad I read that article about you and your project. You are quite knowledgeable.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: 2015-12-30 04:03:46 »
Two questions:
What's with the Chocobo minigame? Its FPS system is very buggy. Sometimes the frames doubles for no reason and the game speeds up.
Does the new 'global time' fix the misplaced objects (the Condor model as example) on the world map?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: 2015-12-30 04:11:01 »
No, model positions wont be fixed by a timer.  I also forgot about chocobo minigame - I'll see if a new limiter can be added for it.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: 2015-12-30 04:17:20 »
No, model positions wont be fixed by a timer.

To bad I hoped that this would have been a nice side effect. However it is only visible in the distance I guess that this is a problem in the collusion data.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: 2015-12-30 05:36:23 »
To bad I hoped that this would have been a nice side effect. However it is only visible in the distance I guess that this is a problem in the collusion data.

I can fix the chocobo limiter too.  It's also broken.

Now... about this world map issue?  Got a pic?

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: 2015-12-30 06:04:28 »
I currently defrag my system so it's bit hard for me to make some pics for you.  If you work from Fort Condor to Junon and keep an eye on the condor, you will see that he levels earlier down as the reactor when the earth rounding effect kicks in, so it looks like as if the Condor sits in and not on the reactor. I remember that this also happens with Chocobos as well.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: 2015-12-30 06:22:59 »
The chocobo minigame limiter is fixed.  I've added the speed up option to it also.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: 2015-12-30 06:47:15 »
If the new limiter of Aali's driver is disabled in the settings wouldn't then the game not use its default timer. So you could patch Snowboard and G-Bike? Or is that new timer needed for your timer to work correctly?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: 2015-12-30 07:03:29 »
Aali's driver always patches snowboard, coaster, and g-bike.  Regardless of any option you can set.  This has been left in place for Steam, except different limiter. The option you set for "default timer" is not related to the limiters at all.

Dark Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: 2015-12-30 14:41:54 »
I've heard about this mod and seen the progress, as well as the "controversy", and I wanted to join this board JUST to say "thank you".  I eagerly await the next version so I don't need to bother with virtual discs and version downgrading, but I can safely say this game has ALWAYS needed a better translation.  Square in particular only really got good at translating their own games with FF8 onwards, and even then that's debatable.  Even their retranslations try too much to appeal to fan demand for what they THINK an accurate translation should be than what an accurate translation actually is (the fan retranslation of FF4 was a joke, the SNES version with all it's censoring was actually more accurate, and that was called FF2!).  While I applaud Square's consistency in naming (from FF8 onwards at least), I don't much like their insistence on keeping in-joke lines from bad translations in their new translations.  Yes, "spoony bard" is a classic mistranslated line, but a retranslation of FF4 should have made that scene more emotional and not a comedy act, so they really SHOULD have changed it.  Leave the past in the past and enjoy the bad lines with the original copies of the game like I do.

Even with those projects though, I'm confused to no end by those who insist that all the mistranslations BECOME the "official story" of the US version.  I've never seen anything like that with other game retranslation projects, and I wonder if there's some sort of generational gap to blame.  Compared to the praise that Mato has received over his Mother 3 and Mother 1 translation projects, you've received the short end of the stick.

By and large, I share your point of view on what a translation should look like and am disgusted by how much hate mail you've been getting over this.  Consider this a small attempt to give credit where it's long overdue.  Thank you for doing what SE didn't bother doing themselves.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: 2015-12-30 15:55:03 »
A lot of the "controversy" is due to people believing they are being forced into using the correct/updated character names, like Zax.  I've done my best to notify people that the installer allows the original names, but there you go. For some, however, even the option in the installer isn't enough because they believe the changes, even if reversible, are a violation of some sacred code.  :P

Thanks for your kind words :)
« Last Edit: 2015-12-30 15:59:15 by DLPB »

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: 2015-12-30 16:03:13 »
I've heard about this mod and seen the progress, as well as the "controversy", and I wanted to join this board JUST to say "thank you".  I eagerly await the next version so I don't need to bother with virtual discs and version downgrading, but I can safely say this game has ALWAYS needed a better translation.  Square in particular only really got good at translating their own games with FF8 onwards, and even then that's debatable.  Even their retranslations try too much to appeal to fan demand for what they THINK an accurate translation should be than what an accurate translation actually is (the fan retranslation of FF4 was a joke, the SNES version with all it's censoring was actually more accurate, and that was called FF2!).  While I applaud Square's consistency in naming (from FF8 onwards at least), I don't much like their insistence on keeping in-joke lines from bad translations in their new translations.  Yes, "spoony bard" is a classic mistranslated line, but a retranslation of FF4 should have made that scene more emotional and not a comedy act, so they really SHOULD have changed it.  Leave the past in the past and enjoy the bad lines with the original copies of the game like I do.

Even with those projects though, I'm confused to no end by those who insist that all the mistranslations BECOME the "official story" of the US version.  I've never seen anything like that with other game retranslation projects, and I wonder if there's some sort of generational gap to blame.  Compared to the praise that Mato has received over his Mother 3 and Mother 1 translation projects, you've received the short end of the stick.

By and large, I share your point of view on what a translation should look like and am disgusted by how much hate mail you've been getting over this.  Consider this a small attempt to give credit where it's long overdue.  Thank you for doing what SE didn't bother doing themselves.

Dark Jaguar for president!!  You said it all man.

I think your postulation about a generational gap is especially interesting.  You might be onto something.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: 2015-12-30 19:21:42 »
An appreciation/question post;

Huge thanks to DLPB and his crew for working on The Reunion. Super nice modpack, and wild dedication to make it available for steam users as well.

I just have a question regarding the model overhaul however, is it possible to use Bloodshot's alt field model for Cloud, the one with the Buster Sword on his back? Like the overworld model.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: 2015-12-30 19:24:15 »
Not in Reunion, but it's fairly simple to add it manually using ulgp.

PeanutReaper486

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: 2015-12-30 19:39:16 »
Not in Reunion, but it's fairly simple to add it manually using ulgp.

:o

Capital news! It's the only model I really wanted besides what you already included into the overhaul.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: 2015-12-30 21:04:36 »
Yeah agree with dark jaguar, actually im still being buffled w some materia names and dialogue as i play anew. Im like what was its name before...? I can understand why some are freaked out, but thats just rigidity and idiotic fear of change, basically its the BEST SIGN YOU ARE DOING SMTN GOOD! hell yeah, for me i see it as a challenge and a new experience of an old dear game. I mean come on you get a fresh view on your favorite game! Like playing baldurs gate with new ruleset graphics etc! Only stuck up asses get pissy about it. DLBP your work is epic. Period.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: 2015-12-30 21:05:39 »
Fort Condor also needs a new limiter - so it's getting one.  Seems it runs at 60fps too.  I always thought it was 30.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: 2015-12-31 00:16:23 »
Heidegger is worse... he walks like he's pissed his pants.

I agree, it looks like he shat himself days before. It's like he's emptied the slot machine right in there.

I actually cooked up a sort of better walking animation for him way back when. It's not much to be honest, I simply took the common walk animation and edited it only slightly. It doesn't have the "fat bastard who thinks he's boss" appearance, but if you want to see how it looks you can grab the file here.

Edit: Actually, I think the original version of that animation was made by BloodShot. Just a fun fact.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-31 00:18:55 by Ansem Darkseeker »

Lilpuddy31

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: 2015-12-31 23:46:41 »
so who else is sitting here, hitting the refresh button? lol :P