Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] FFNx - Next generation modding platform for FF7/FF8  (Read 80952 times)

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
Here are the mods I have enabled which aren't out of the norm. Animations is already set to 0:15FPS so that isn't the cause of my headache with this setup.

regardless, you can confirm you have completely turned the animations mod off and the same thing happened?

if it does, the next step is to turn ALL the mods off and try to see if it works

if it launches but crashes when the game becomes responsive, its almost certainly a mod compatibility issue
« Last Edit: 2020-10-13 00:51:58 by -Ori »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
That screenshot is just which mods you have active, not the options within them.

TrueOdin

• View Profile
It is with great pleasure that I would like to announce the newest FFNx 1.8.0 release :)

Improved rendering performance, super-smooth Vulkan and DirectX 12 support, astonishing Audio Engine and much much more are waiting for you to be explored in this new release.

Feel free to know more about it in the official changelog: https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/wiki/Changelog_v1.8.0

A special thank you to all the people who have worked together with me in this new milestone.

Looking forward for great new achievements in the future.

Until then, enjoy!

AuthenticM

• View Profile
It is with great pleasure that I would like to announce the newest FFNx 1.8.0 release :)

Improved rendering performance, super-smooth Vulkan and DirectX 12 support, astonishing Audio Engine and much much more are waiting for you to be explored in this new release.

Feel free to know more about it in the official changelog: https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/wiki/Changelog_v1.8.0

A special thank you to all the people who have worked together with me in this new milestone.

Looking forward for great new achievements in the future.

Until then, enjoy!

Congratulations! Looking at the changelog, this is a very sweet release indeed!

I have a question. Would FFNx 1.8 allow a mod that tries to implement a menu layout similar to FF7 Remake?

By that I mean having the menu entries on the left, full character portraits in the middle, and even having the menu transparent so that the player can see the gameplay screen behind it.

I believe that I have read, in the past, that the menu screen layout in FF7 is pretty hardcoded into the game, which makes it difficult to be modified. That's why I'm asking; I'm curious if advances have been made on that front.

Thank you
« Last Edit: 2020-10-23 05:17:04 by AuthenticM »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
It is possible, but as always with UI layout changes it requires knowing the memory/executable addresses to modify, and in some cases custom code may need to be injected into the game.  On my mod ESUI, I did document the address modifications I did so you can extract the mod to find some of these addresses, I do not know all the addresses required to achieve this though so some effort is required to pull it off.  The bit I am unsure off is if the game background can be visible behind the menu, the game very likely does not keep the field rendered, when the menu is on screen, the frame rate is changed as an example when the menu is drawn.

Salk

• View Profile
Congratulations on this newest release!

The change-log is indeed impressive and if I understand correctly now it will be possible to have the animated background working also when using upscaled background textures?

Cheers!

Zera

• View Profile
Did you manage to implement proper analog support? Also, is it possible to use Tonberry with this driver (I think it wasn't last time I checked)?

EDIT: Never mind, the answer is no to both. I got hopeful when XInput support was mentioned.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-24 23:19:33 by Zera »

andreasaspenberg

• View Profile
i have no issues running final fantasy 8. it actually works better in my version of windows 10 than it did in windows xp(that goes for both steam and disc versions). even the installer worked perfectly. the steam version of final fantasy 7 also works perfectly. i have tested them recently. final fantasy 7 and 8 on steam i tested while i was writing this.

TrueOdin

• View Profile
Congratulations on this newest release!

The change-log is indeed impressive and if I understand correctly now it will be possible to have the animated background working also when using upscaled background textures?

Cheers!

Thank you :) Yes, Satsuki is working hard on it and a new release is going to be released. Stay stuned!

TrueOdin

• View Profile
Did you manage to implement proper analog support? Also, is it possible to use Tonberry with this driver (I think it wasn't last time I checked)?

EDIT: Never mind, the answer is no to both. I got hopeful when XInput support was mentioned.

What do you mean by proper analog support? Also about Tonberry it will never work as FFNx is a custom rendering engine, while Tonberry hooks the internal game rendering engine. But the same feature may come one day as soon as texture replacement will become a thing.

TrueOdin

• View Profile
i have no issues running final fantasy 8. it actually works better in my version of windows 10 than it did in windows xp(that goes for both steam and disc versions). even the installer worked perfectly. the steam version of final fantasy 7 also works perfectly. i have tested them recently. final fantasy 7 and 8 on steam i tested while i was writing this.

Glad to hear that :) Feel free to follow the development as more is going to come. We're not done...yet!

Salk

• View Profile
Thank you :) Yes, Satsuki is working hard on it and a new release is going to be released. Stay stuned!

Well, then this is indeed a great accomplishment.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys are putting into this.

Zera

• View Profile
What do you mean by proper analog support?

Analog movement is broken in FF8 and FF9 (FF7 never supported it because it was released before the PS joypad with analog sticks). It doesn't support sensitivity (so you can walk without needing a dedicated button) and only allows 8 directions as if it was a D-Pad. I believe the Moguri mod fixes it in FF9, but no such mod exists for FF8.

olearyf2525

• View Profile

Looking forward to it, thanks for all your hard work.

TrueOdin

• View Profile
Analog movement is broken in FF8 and FF9 (FF7 never supported it because it was released before the PS joypad with analog sticks). It doesn't support sensitivity (so you can walk without needing a dedicated button) and only allows 8 directions as if it was a D-Pad. I believe the Moguri mod fixes it in FF9, but no such mod exists for FF8.

I see what you mean. Actually I did never try this personally but on FFNx I've reimplemented completely the gamepad support, by writing my own layer and supporting DInput and XInput out of the box, and additionally D-Pad works on both ways OOB too. Analogs works as always, but please feel free to try if the sensitivity is fine or not on the latest canaries. I'll be happy to support if not ( as far as I can go ofc as having no source makes the task a little harder :) )

Salk

• View Profile
Hello TrueOdin!

After a very long pause I have decided to revisit FF VII with all the new improvements and I wanted to test FFNx. After failing to simply install the game from my original discs on Windows 10 I opted for buying it again on Steam, hoping it would make things generally easier.

After the installation, I downloaded the latest canary and followed the FFNx installation instructions you kindly provided.

The installation itself was of course just a matter of dropping some files into the FF VII directory but I was wondering if you may consider creating a proper installer in the future?

When I run the game I noticed that FFNx seems to override the Full Screen choice I have selected in the Square Enix settings menu because it runs in a window.

I take this opportunity to again thank you and your team for FFXn, hoping that one day the community will be able to experience the best version of Final Fantasy VII yet (as a side note and knowing it is a sore subject I believe that not being able to include the Reunion translation is an unfortunate obstacle to that end).

Cheers!

TrueOdin

• View Profile
Hello TrueOdin!

After a very long pause I have decided to revisit FF VII with all the new improvements and I wanted to test FFNx. After failing to simply install the game from my original discs on Windows 10 I opted for buying it again on Steam, hoping it would make things generally easier.

After the installation, I downloaded the latest canary and followed the FFNx installation instructions you kindly provided.

The installation itself was of course just a matter of dropping some files into the FF VII directory but I was wondering if you may consider creating a proper installer in the future?

Hi, thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it :) Regarding your question: at the moment there's none planned because there's in plan a new mod manager that will take care of this. Meanwhile as most of the mods are distributed using 7th Heaven, you might want to consider our new beta releases which do include FFNx integration and update mechanism and would make the overall installation experience a matter of two clicks. Feel free to join the Tsunamods discord to know more about this.

When I run the game I noticed that FFNx seems to override the Full Screen choice I have selected in the Square Enix settings menu because it runs in a window.

You can configure FFNx through the relative "FFNx.toml" file. I do not provide any integration with the Square-Enix launcher as it has a proprietary protocol to talk to the original driver and I really don't have time, nor interested, to reverse engineer that part too. Therefore, feel free to tweak you experience changing what is available in the "FFNx.toml" file.

I take this opportunity to again thank you and your team for FFXn, hoping that one day the community will be able to experience the best version of Final Fantasy VII yet (as a side note and knowing it is a sore subject I believe that not being able to include the Reunion translation is an unfortunate obstacle to that end).

Cheers!

Compatibility with Reunion is not on me, but with its author. I've always been available to help and support what was required to make it compatible, but the author has to tell me what is needed. As long as this doesn't happen, I have no way to add support for it.

Said that, It's just a matter of time until someone else will come with a retranslation of the game that maybe will work on top of FFNx and 7th Heaven. It's just unfortunate it's not available today.

Cheers,
TO

Higgenbobber

• View Profile
Any progress in 60fps battles for FFNX/7th Heaven?  I'm trying to avoid Reunion even though it has working 60fps interpolated.  I appreciate your work on this!

Salk

• View Profile
Thank you for your detailed answer.

Best of luck!

HAL

• View Profile
Thanks for the great tool.
Im a Japanese player and I understand that Japanese fonts are not rendered properly in the current version.

So, are there any plans to support Japanese in the near future?
For example, if you plan to support it within a few months, I will wait. On the other hand, if the answer is more than a year away, I will try to do the mod in some other way.
I'm sure you're busy, so I don't mind if you don't answer. Thank you very much.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Any progress in 60fps battles for FFNX/7th Heaven?  I'm trying to avoid Reunion even though it has working 60fps interpolated.  I appreciate your work on this!
60fps is already possible with FFNx, it's the underlying game engine and (lack of) animation data that are in the way.  7H will not be the solution to the problem, either, as it's just a mod loader/manager.  There is work being done in this realm, but it'll be a completely separate mod, and won't be released until the animations are built for it (otherwise you'll see very janky motion and trying to hit Tifa's reels will be even worse).

So, are there any plans to support Japanese in the near future?
For example, if you plan to support it within a few months, I will wait. On the other hand, if the answer is more than a year away, I will try to do the mod in some other way.
The Japanese version is really weird... it isn't the original original (that is, fresh from the factory), but rather the original text laid on top the English executable.  Efforts are being made to figure this thing out, but there's no telling when it'll be solved.

SunDragonXiii

• View Profile
Hi, I'm having some trouble getting this to work with texture mods in FF8. I checked the github and through the forums but couldn't find an answer.

It seems this is compatible with texture mods yes? I have my mod paths installed correctly in the textures and Tonberry folders and I think Tonberry is installed correctly but none of the texture mods are working!

FFNx is working for sure, I've got the version number and render mode displaying. Any help would be appreciated.

Higgenbobber

• View Profile
60fps is already possible with FFNx, it's the underlying game engine and (lack of) animation data that are in the way.  7H will not be the solution to the problem, either, as it's just a mod loader/manager.  There is work being done in this realm, but it'll be a completely separate mod, and won't be released until the animations are built for it (otherwise you'll see very janky motion and trying to hit Tifa's reels will be even worse).

I see.  I was thinking of Smoother 60FPS Battles mod that no longer worked and has to be integrated into FFNX.  Hopefully someone can put something out!

Bynyl

• Vinyl sucks...
    • View Profile
I just read the changelog for the 1.8 release... hooooly fuck this is awesome; that integration with SoLoud gives me a biig smile.

dammit im gonna have to make my music mod in 7.1 now xd

TrueOdin

• View Profile
I just read the changelog for the 1.8 release... hooooly fuck this is awesome; that integration with SoLoud gives me a biig smile.

dammit im gonna have to make my music mod in 7.1 now xd

Looking forward into it :)