Author Topic: [FF7] Text editor - Loveless (v2.5)  (Read 182479 times)

Squall78

• View Profile
Loveless - a FF7 text editor [v.1 - 2.5]
« Reply #75 on: 2006-12-30 09:00:26 »
Yes I know all about that. That's not a problem. I've just forgotten to manage this special codes lol.

In Cosmo special codes begins with "[Code:", in Loveless with "{MODE}". It's just a syntaxal difference ("[Code:" is the same special character than "{MODE}").

I will add Chocobo's special characters support in the next version (which will be available at the end of the next week, I think).

:)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006-12-30 17:09:35 »
Hey Squall78 you've been a very busy person!

Regarding special characters, apart from the original FF7 engine not supporting the characters being entered, you should be careful with special encoding formats.  This could become a bit of a nightmare, is what I'm concerned about.  Right so what I'm talking about is unicode versus the internal encoding in FF.  The original engine is limited to < 256 characters.  If you have the US version of FF and an Official translation, you might be able to find out what Square did for adding more or special characters.  I assume you are using UTF8 (Unicode 8) characters? Then encoding them into FF?  Do you have a guarenteed 'map' for all symbols?  What you may need to consider is twiddling with the internal font map.  In the mean time any symbol entered that does not actually map to a legal symbol that FF7 can display (in the current font map being used with the editor) display as a hex tuple
Code: [Select]
IE <8F>.  Instead of using strange symbols that look confusing for special things such as 'chocobo' information, use a similar encoding scheme that fits the width of what is being presented
a character (Cloud for example) has up to 8 symbols right? A chocobo is limited to 6 I think.  So have some symbolic presentation for those like
Code: [Select]
<PC_NM1> = Player Character 1 Name
<CH1NM> = Chocobo 1 Name
<CH1CL> = Chocobo 1 Class

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #77 on: 2006-12-30 19:58:19 »
The Japanese FF7 had a *MUCH* larger window.bin file that used banked sections and apporx 1,500 characters. I've never seen the VRAM in action in the Japanese version, but the extra kanji took up that huge blank spot under the roman text. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say the Japanese system worked by banking in a font bank at the bottom, copying the needed characters into the bank above and then banking in another set to copy more.

I've only played with the Japanese version of FF6, but that worked in a method similar. The sentince that needed to be renderd was copied into a scratchpad from a series of font banks, then rendered in the speech box via a kernal command.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006-12-31 03:58:36 »
Interesting.  I was wondering about the encoding in FF8 a while back for the Japanese version.
Hmmmm it sounds to me they used the PS1's VRAM pages. Technically speaking the 64x128 section that contains the english font data is tiny.  (it's really 256x128  section likely 9x10 tiles maybe?) 21x10 or 210 symbols? you can pack quite a few symbols into the system and switching between tile swatchs for the PS1 is QUITE an easy task.

I noticed someone altered your VRAM.jpg in the wiki, do you have the original PNG? The JPG there is now ...  distorted by the use of JPEG dct (wrong type and low quality, in fact it's the wrong size too, I wondered why it looked odd).  FYI for people making a JPEG image that needs to be relatively close to the original 3 things,
  • 90% qaulity
  • floating point DCT
  • 1:1:1 pixel encoding ratio OR 2:1:1
Do not rely on Microsofts or anyone elses default settings on saving JPEG images, that require a high detail (such as a VRAM shot would).

Cyb

_Ombra_

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
« Reply #79 on: 2006-12-31 06:47:07 »
Hey Squall78,

i just wanna ask if you received my email, the one with the de/compression code and the table for the text in the EXE since you didn't reply :P

On a side note... why Borland C Builder? With VC6 you can compile and distribute only the exe without an overweight DLL (actually 2), and if you integrate the compression i sent you, you don't even need qhimm's DLL... that's 3 files down :P

Can't wait to see the windows resizing working :wink:

Take care
« Last Edit: 2006-12-31 06:55:33 by _Ombra_ »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006-12-31 17:38:54 »
I believe _Ombra_ it's written in Delphi.  As for your assertion about 'distributing a single exe' it was discused quite a while ago in this thread (looking back with his time machine Cyb discovers) right here and here I believe is it.

_Ombra_

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006-12-31 19:44:38 »
Whoops! My bad, i quickly checked the DLL on google and came up like it was from BCB.

Well... then just check your email Squall78 ;)

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 2007-01-01 22:01:54 »
I noticed someone altered your VRAM.jpg in the wiki, do you have the original PNG? The JPG there is now ...  distorted by the use of JPEG dct (wrong type and low quality, in fact it's the wrong size too, I wondered why it looked odd). 

No, I lost the original PNG files. I do, however, have higher resolution jpgs that are in "full size"

(keep in mind, the true surface of the PSX VRAM can't really be rendered as it can hold mutipule colordepths at the same time. Nothing short of a posting a 2 color bitmap @ 8192x512 would give a real representation.)

Pictures are below....
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/gears_img_3.jpg
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/gears_img_4.jpg
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/guesswho.jpg

I also re-uploaded the winbin.zip file that broke down window.bin
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/winbin.zip
« Last Edit: 2007-01-01 22:09:49 by halkun »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007-01-02 02:09:28 »
Excelent!
That JPG will work I'll make a quickie fix too it. Although I suppose I could try to make another with the same scene shown on the wiki. Hmmmm things to do :D

I've been adding things slowly into the wiki.  Whenever I remember too. Current project is FF8 so it might be a few weeks before that happens.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #84 on: 2007-01-02 06:04:40 »
Here's all the image files I used for making "Gears" in full resolution.

I think you may find what you are looking for in there.....

http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/lab/images.zip

Have fun.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007-01-02 19:33:12 »
Hi !

Sorry I wasn't at home !

About FF7 special characters, FF7 have 256 available spaces but only about half are used. Others very special chars (like colours, characters' names, ...) are used with a combination of 'normal' characters.

I have almost implemented windows resizer but _Ombra_ told me there were windows with the "choice opcode". I didn't think this :). I've only implemented Windows Opcodes (using Message opcode too, in order to retrieve which Windows are used for a text). Thus, I think new version will be available in few days.

_ombra_ & Cyberman :
yes I'm coding in Delphi. I like this language and I think it's almost as powerful as C++ and it's easier. I don't really code in C++ but if I code into C++ I will use C++ Builder because it's a RAD and I don't like Visual C++ :(.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-16 14:53:34 by Squall78 »

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007-01-08 22:24:47 »
Loveless 2.3 is available !

What's new ? Well, now you can resize/reposition windows :).

Have fun.

Download links :
English version : http://stforever.free.fr/Projets/Loveless23ENG.zip
French version : http://stforever.free.fr/Projets/Loveless23FRA.zip
« Last Edit: 2007-01-11 21:51:04 by Squall78 »

Braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007-01-09 01:33:35 »
nice work!!!!!

thank's a lot, before i can't translate correctly from my language because space from dialog box was littlte short
« Last Edit: 2007-01-09 02:46:30 by Braveheart »

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007-01-09 09:23:07 »
:)

if you find any bug or problem just let me know :)

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007-01-09 10:24:59 »
WOW! Awesome resizer!
And the saving is now almost instant! How's that even possible??  :lol:
Great work! And thanks!

Now about those bugs or suggestions you're expecting.  :-P
  • tooltip of window resizer icon is displayed in French even in English version
  • would be great if the resizing was possible directly in preview area, you know, not after opening another window
  • there is this "Window x/y" switch which purpose is a mystery to me... I thought it will switch the windows that has those {NEW PAGE} tags. Yet it won't.  :|
  • Chocobo codes still don't work for me
  • I know this one would sound crazy but it's worth mentioning. There are those texts that repeat themselves on more levels..and most of them are useless except for one. Your multi-line replacer already saves me much time that I don't have to check which text exactly is displayed in which location but instead replace all of them in one shot. Well, not entirely. Some of those texts are not quite identical. You know, they differ in one coma or something really absurd like that. I can't imagine how did they manage this but it's really unnerving to see something untranslated in game that I've already translated...then searching it..comparing with the translated text, etc... What I'm suggesting is..wouldn't it be possible to implement an option in replacer to search for 90% matches and alert to them? I understand that would demand a very intelligent searcher..but.. if that wouldn't be a problem for you... Otherwise you may laugh me down.  :wink:

Keep up the great work! It is becoming the ultimate text editor for ff7 out there.
« Last Edit: 2007-01-09 10:27:00 by miracle.flame »

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007-01-09 11:34:55 »
I've fixed tooltip. You can redownload Loveless :)

- About window resizer, I tought to resize window directly from the preview, but Loveless GUI will be more "heavy" :/
- About Window x/y, it's very simple :). Y means there are Y windows for this text, and X is the current window selected :). I know... it's weird but some texts have several windows...
- About search engine, huuu.... it must be very intelligent ^^' lol. I see your problem, I have the same in French version of FF7 (for example with texte : "you have too much materia, you have to drop some materias... etc") but I don't think Loveless will manage that. However I will examine this problem :)

Thanks for your constructive remarks :)

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007-01-09 12:09:13 »
What about the Chocobo codes? Am I doing something wrong?

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007-01-09 12:10:58 »
Yeah I've forgot to mention it in my previous message ^^' sorry.

I've not implemented in this version because...... I forget too è_é lol
I will implement then in the next version (I will try to release it tonight) :)

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007-01-09 12:18:46 »
Well then I'd like to mention that it would be nice to have the feature to switch {NEW PAGE}-tagged windows in preview as well.  :wink:

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007-01-09 12:21:07 »
Well, in fact, {NEW PAGE} tag don't use a new window. It use the same window but all the text is cleared before the following text is displayed.

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007-01-09 12:25:19 »
Yes but I can't see in the preview if I didn't exceed the window size with the text on new page(s).

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007-01-09 12:28:42 »
Yeah, indeed...

I didn't think about that ^^'. You can delete previous 'page' and see if the next hold in the window, then rewrite (past) the previous before... but it's not useful ^^'.

I will examine this...

_Ombra_

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007-01-09 19:58:57 »
Hey Squall78,

i have a big big feature that could sign the 3.0 milestone for your program. Pointer recalculation for the expansion of the text in the rooms. We did that by figuring out all the pointers used in rooms and recalculate them based on the new inserted text. It's a very useful feature when the translated text occupies more space than the English one. If you are interested in adding this feature send me an email so i can explain you what the program needs to do.

Take care

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007-01-09 20:05:06 »
Huuu ? Loveless can use longer text ? What is the problem ? :)

If the original text uses 20 chars, you can replace it by a longer text without any problem.

Squall78

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007-01-09 22:31:10 »
IMPORTANT :
It seems there is a problem in last version (2.3) so avoid to save your work (or if already saved) keep a backup.

I let you know when I have some news...