Author Topic: Forum rule calification  (Read 8280 times)

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« on: 2002-03-19 03:01:00 »
i've been wondering about a few things and i'm sure others have too.
here are the things i'm curious about:

1.Why are signatures disabled?
2. Is it ok to manualy out in your own signature? with a graphic?
3. Why is HTML disabled in posts?
4. Why don't we have more smilies? and avatars?

edit: post 666

umm i'm sure i had a few more i thought of but i have temporarly forgotten them. if i think of them i'll post them here.  :naughty:   :evil:   :naughty:   :evil:   :naughty:
[edited] 275 2002-03-19 04:12

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Forum rule calification
« Reply #1 on: 2002-03-19 03:10:00 »

3. Why is HTML disabled in posts?

You could probably do some bad stuff with HTML and maybe even get into Java if that was enabled.

4. Why don't we have more smilies? and avatars?

You can use the BBCode's image command to link to extra smilies, and you can upload your own avatars to a web server somewhere to use them if you feel that you want to use one not already here.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Forum rule calification
« Reply #2 on: 2002-03-19 03:24:00 »
1. becuase qhimm said so (and it takes less bandwidth)
2. Yes. Seph3d does it all the time
3. So people like you wont post crap :)
4. i personally dont think we need any more.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #3 on: 2002-03-19 03:33:00 »
so it would be ok for me to include this in my posts?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #4 on: 2002-03-19 07:31:00 »
Honestly speaking, I find your signature a little big.
I'm personally just waiting for Qhimm's opinion on this...

J*** H*******

Forum rule calification
« Reply #5 on: 2002-03-19 08:03:00 »
Message.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Forum rule calification
« Reply #6 on: 2002-03-19 09:34:00 »
1. Because signatures break the layout of the page. Because they use up precious bandwidth, both on the server and for the modem users. And because I said so.
2. If you have some insane need to add a tiny text as signature, then by all means. No images (see above). And quite frankly, there is hardly anything you'd need to write in a signature that users can't see by clicking on your user profile. Your posts are meant to be posts, not autobiographies.
3. With HTML you can easily break the board. Every time I've tried having a board with HTML enabled, trolls have done their best to annoy everyone using HTML's full capabilities. Practically every serious content-enhancement you can do with HTML, you can also do in BBCode.
4. Why don't people post more serious stuff on the board? Why do General and Spam account for more than half of the posts? Some people can't resist playing with smilies, and it doesn't exactly help bring the conversation to a serious level. Personally I think there are too many (and the wrong) smilies on the board, so I'm certainly not going to promote playing on the board by adding more. If you really want more, use custom ones. Unless you're too lazy, in which case I certainly don't feel it's necessary to accomodate your requests.

(Just got out of bed, feeling extraordinarily  :evil: )

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Forum rule calification
« Reply #7 on: 2002-03-19 12:09:00 »
3. I dont see any usage for HTML in discusion board.   :-?

On 2002-03-19 05:34, Qhimm wrote:
4. Why don't people post more serious stuff on the board? Why do General and Spam account for more than half of the posts?

Probably there is nothing interesting to discuss. And IMHO i think that it is better when there are posts in spam & general, as if there would be no posts at all. Dead board is not a good thing.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Forum rule calification
« Reply #8 on: 2002-03-20 09:32:00 »
2. ... Is my sig an eyesore? I can stop using it if you guys want... I'd... kinda miss it for a while, but I could live with it.

3. One word: PHP. With HTML enabled, someone who is PHP savvy could mess up the board. Correction: Someone who knows nothing about PHP could screw it up and totally ruin the board.

4. I have to side with almost eveyone else in saying that we already have enough smiles. I still think we need an evil-grin smile, but other than that, I think we have all the smiles we need.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

J*** H*******

Forum rule calification
« Reply #9 on: 2002-03-20 10:38:00 »
Message.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Forum rule calification
« Reply #10 on: 2002-03-20 12:18:00 »
Maybe you could make that purple smurf your avatar
  :P

[Edit] My smily didn't work!  Grr...
[edited] 44 2002-03-20 13:19

chowderhead

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocites.com/bigchowderhead
Forum rule calification
« Reply #11 on: 2002-03-20 13:06:00 »
Being a 56k'r myself, I'm quite pleased that Qhimm keeps rather 'tight' restrictions on the board.  The difference (these pages look to be around 140k and The MO page I checked was 300k).  Makes all the difference in the world-for me, anyway.  I like the ability to use avatars, although honestly I could live without them.  The only other board I post regularly on doesn't have any of this-no images, no smilies, you can't even edit!  A text sig?  You write it in.  But it_makes_you focus on the content.

If you want to *wow* people, wow them with your interesting, intelligent and insightful posts.  People don't pay attention to noise.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
Forum rule calification
« Reply #12 on: 2002-03-20 17:49:00 »
I'm a 26k person (because I live in the middle of nowhere) so I appreciate Qhimms strickness.  There really is no point of having HTML coding because you can use the buttons above the posting box.  And a one word signature is cool.

Kendrilian

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #13 on: 2002-03-20 18:36:00 »
i too am a 56k'er also, and i don't mind waiting for websites to load. although this tolerance might be from download 100+meg files basicly all the time   :naughty:   :naughty:   :naughty:   :naughty:

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
Forum rule calification
« Reply #14 on: 2002-03-20 22:53:00 »
you're crazy Smurf!  When I downloaded that FFVIII file it was about 30meg, that was the largest I've ever done, and I NEVER want do something like that again on this kind of modem!

Kendrilian
[edited] 299 2002-03-20 23:54

[edited] 299 2002-03-20 23:55

M0T

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #15 on: 2002-03-21 14:51:00 »
I have never before seen the need for signitures, when you click a thread you click it to see what the post  is about, not what the persons signiture says. IMO it should go in the profile box.

Qhimm: The reason most of the posts are in the spam/general board is because most of us who came here came because of the programs we wanted to use and then we found these boards as well, but most of us have no idea about some of the tech issues and programming that go on. Plus at the moment there is no pc FF which makes it hard to discuss that so there isnt really much to talk about seriously.

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #16 on: 2002-03-30 04:16:00 »
Qhimm, you COULD give us something to talk about by releasing program or 2.... Sheesh.  :z

Edit: Just noticed MOT has 777 posts. Lol.
[edited] 264 2002-03-30 05:18

M0T

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #17 on: 2002-03-30 12:54:00 »
Hey Qhimm has a life too and I am pretty sure he doesn't want to spend most of it coding.

I missed the time I had 666 since I posted like 5 messages in a row and didn't realise.

Darkness

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #18 on: 2002-03-30 17:48:00 »
qhimm spends the time to keep this board going. be happy.

Ant

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #19 on: 2002-03-30 17:55:00 »

qhimm spends the time to keep this board going. be happy.

In the announcements box at the top of the screen it says from Qhimm that he's working on the new design,

I thought this was the new design? Is there another one coming?

Darkness

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #20 on: 2002-03-30 18:50:00 »
yup. theres another one coming. this is the nextff design.

Jedimark

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #21 on: 2002-03-30 21:06:00 »
Weren't we expecting that design at Christmas... i just thought that Qhimm had given up or somet.

M0T

• View Profile
Forum rule calification
« Reply #22 on: 2002-04-06 11:15:00 »
I can't remember when he said it but he said he was temporarily stopping in order to sort his life out, personally I'm not the slightest bit interested in a new design since I come here to read peoples posts so eye candy isn't important.