Author Topic: ...um, wow.  (Read 15631 times)

Korb

...um, wow.
« on: 2002-01-13 11:12:00 »
I stumbled onto this place tonight and I have to admit I'm pretty surprised that there is actually a group of people out there that are still playing and enjoying FF7.

A few days ago, a friend of mine got FFX.  I hadn't played an FF game since FF7 on my PC, and I had since given my copy of that to another friend who wanted it.  It wasn't until I started seeing commercials and got to watch him play FFX that I really wanted to play it.  Problem was, I lack a PS2, plus I had just spent over $1000 on a new computer and was flat broke.  Boo.

Last night I was at my local software store looking through the bargin bin and I spotted a copy of FF7PC for $15.  I figured it was better than sitting around for another month longing for $400 to drop in my lap to make FFX a reality for me.  So I bought it, brought it home, dug up my old saved games, and started playing again.  Tonight I went looking for a saved game editor, and found Jenova, and subsequently this place.  It just blows me away that FF7 still has people playing it like it was a new game.

So, now that you've suffered through all that backstory, I've got 2 questions.

1. How do I know if my FF7 is version 1.00 or 1.02, and how can I upgrade it if it's 1.00?
2. Where might I be able to find a saved game editor for FF7PC that can change the levels and stats?  It's pretty strange to have lvl 13 characters with 9k hp on them.

Ok, I'm shutting up now.  This place is cool.

--Korb

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
...um, wow.
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-13 11:32:00 »
It's nice that you decided to play at a time like this. FFVIIPC has to be at it's most lowest time ever. Players with beautiful nVidia GeForce-based cards have to fiddle around with 8-bit Palettised Textures and different Detonator drivers. Players with the new OSs such as Win2k and WinXP can only play the game up until the chocobo race. I've never experienced this before because I run Win98SE. I should be getting XP soon, so I can experience this atrocity myself... What I don't know is is the game runs after the chocobo races. ???

1. You have to ask yourself: Do you have a nVidia-based graphics card? If so, download the nVidia patch, if not, download the normal patch. I got mine from http://www.ffonline.com but that was a long time ago. It maybe there still.
2. A save game editor, I think the best all rounded is FF7CHE, found last at http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/7176/ff7.html If it isn't there anymore, email me and I'll send you it. 415kb.

-Dan

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
...um, wow.
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-13 13:36:00 »
To find out what version you've got, run the config program and look at the title bar. It should tell you.

Goku7

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-13 23:24:00 »
Welcome to Qhimm's Forums, then, Korb!

Now, like he said, if you have a GeForce-based video card, then most likely you will have some problems with both graphics and game stability.

Or, if you're like me and have both Win98SE and a 3dFX card, you can play the game with practically NO worries about crashing or graphics.  There is a slight game lock-up problem with the DX7.0 compatible drivers for the Voodoo3 (AKA "V3"), but the driver disk that came with my V3 has the DX6.0 compatible driver set, which seems to run it perfectly.  I've managed to zip the driver install archieves to where I can simply e-mail them to anyone who is having problems with their V3 and FF7.  There's a guy on this board named gazemuth who can vouch for that.

Dgp9999: So you're getting winXP, huh?  Well, if you already have an SB Live! card, then upgrading to XP will unlock the Hardware DLS ability on the card, allowing you to run FF8 with Samuel's DLS in hardware, with less burden than the MS synth already gives! Geez, I'm envious......  :).  Darn win98SE's lack of WDM driver support!

Anyway, I suggest you do a dual-boot configuration so you can still play FF7 in Win98SE, and run FF8 or any other game in XP.
[edited] 239 2002-01-14 00:31

Korb

...um, wow.
« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-13 23:41:00 »
I've got a GeForce3 Ti200 (MSI brand card, but using the most recent detonator drivers) at the moment, and I've had very few problems at all with FF7.  Soon I hope to be running a Ti500 on my new computer that is in the process of being put together.  I'm not sure if I'll be going with 2k or 98SE on the new system.  I know there's no way I'll touch XP.

--Korb

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
...um, wow.
« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-17 01:59:00 »
From what I can tell...from the old Eidos board, and this one. The G3's and the new XP drivers (I mean Nvidia's Detonator XP Drivers, not moneysoft's new  and deproved OS.) work fine with FF7. But If you combined those XP drivers with a G2, you'll have problems. There are workarounds....but they don't come easy.

As far as WinXP/2000, If the game worked fine before the Chocobo Races, it will work fine after them. For some reason that side game, crashes. Some others and I have tried to get Eidos to release something to fix the Chicken-race sidegame, and they basicly said to go to Squaresoft for any solutions.....Guess what Squresoft tells you to do......     Yup.... go to Eidos for your solution. As far as the Corp heads are concerened, the game is dead.

As for the version number....doesn't really matter, it's still the same. The only difference is that one is called Platinum and has the TNT patch on disk, as a zip file. And the original...you have to go online and download the zip file yourself (well, that's what I've been told, anyway) .....There is also the thing of the mislabled disks...that right there should set off your light bulb.

Since your using a G3....you shouldn't need to do anything to play the game. At least I don't think you do. No one else with a G3 has had any Driver compliants. (maybe a few FMV complaint, though) The G2's are a totally different story. Easiest solution is to use the 6.50 drivers. That goes for FF8, too.  I have no idea how well the G3's and FF8PC get along.
[edited] 65 2002-01-17 03:03

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
...um, wow.
« Reply #6 on: 2002-01-17 02:46:00 »
*Makes mental note to buy G3 sometime soon...*

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Threesixty

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #7 on: 2002-01-17 23:10:00 »
Oh...didn't see Korb's post.

The only difference between Win2000 and WinXP is that Win2000 is considered the beta version of WinXP. (well there is that registration thing...but I hear that the Pro version of XP doesn't have that feature)

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
...um, wow.
« Reply #8 on: 2002-01-18 04:31:00 »
Yeah, one damned expensive beta! ;-)  WinXP Pro and Win2K are VERY similar, except features that didn't seem to work at all in Win2K (like the Win9x compatibility mode) seem to (keyword: seem .  . . this is an MS product, we're talking about) work on XP.

Three:  XP Pro does require activation . . . I think it's the corporate version (basically, site liscenced version) that doesn't.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
...um, wow.
« Reply #9 on: 2002-01-18 17:46:00 »
Calling Win2000 a beta for WinXP is a bit daring... especially since Win2000 is superior to WinXP in several key aspects. XP is not as stable as Win2000, uses twice the amount of RAM, and *lots* of stuff that works in Win2000 does not in WinXP. The new "compatibility wizard" feature is practically useless, and it's not new either (was in Win2000 too). WinXP's strongest advantage seems to be that it looks nicer on the outside.

Threesixty

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #10 on: 2002-01-18 22:37:00 »
:D

....uhh...should we talk about WinME, now? ;)

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #11 on: 2002-01-19 00:23:00 »
what you mean the buggy win98 clone with f***ed up networking and "new" options?

Goku7

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #12 on: 2002-01-21 00:08:00 »
Not to mention WinME's habit of "re-writting" the config.sys and Autoexec.bat files so that you can't do ANYTHING different than what MicroSoft wants your comp to do, DOS--wise.  -_-

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
...um, wow.
« Reply #13 on: 2002-01-21 01:30:00 »
The most I've ever done with the copy of WinME that my uncle sent me, was putting it on a shelf where almost no one can see it, along win my Win98 and Win2k boxs. Not to mention the "Bill Gates 2000" software box I had to make for school...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Anonymous

...um, wow.
« Reply #14 on: 2002-01-21 10:48:00 »
Well, not to span, or advertise or defend XP or anything but, IMHO

Although what Qhimm says is right, but XP *still* has a few advantages....
1) The drivers used is quite nice.
The driver for my modem worked sweet.

Original driver = 13MB per hour
XP's Driver       = 20MB per hour
Also, I no longer have to search for those driver diskettes and CDs.

2)More detailed and less cluttered ctrl-alt-del.
Not like Win2000's, XP dosen't have that much buttons to choose.

I don't know about you guys, but that's what XP's done for me.

Joey

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #15 on: 2002-01-21 10:49:00 »
That was me, in case anyone's wondering.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
...um, wow.
« Reply #16 on: 2002-01-21 17:21:00 »
Well, I just got WinXP Corperate Edition at a LAN party I was just at. I haven't loaded it yet, but I'll let you guys know what I think when I do load it.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

M0T

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #17 on: 2002-01-21 22:01:00 »
I have had Winxp since may(or june) and the compatibility wizard is total sh*te. It never worked properly until the release edition  and even now you can't use it on games because they just crash. There is some strange thing with windows xp though; I installed THPS2 in august(on the e: dirve) and since then have formatted and reinstalled windows about 4 times, yet to get the game to run I have never had to reinstall it, weird.

Simon

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #18 on: 2002-01-23 00:58:00 »
i jus DL win xp pro of the net. Its good but it dont recognise my sound card :(

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
...um, wow.
« Reply #19 on: 2002-01-23 02:52:00 »
Oh, don't get me wrong.  I loved Win2K.  I thought it was the best OS MS put out until I installed XP.  WinXP actually runs FF7 for me (except for the Chocobo races, of course.) Win2K didn't (although I think installing Service pack 2 would have fixed this . . . but every time I tried to download it, my connection was cut in between 60 -85 of the 100 meg file.)

I never said the compatibility mode was useful in WinXP, just said that it worked (well, I don't think it makes a pinch of sh*t difference running things in compatibility mode . . . but things actually run.  When I tried running anything in compatibility mode in Win2K, it just crashed.)  Not that it's a big deal, because the compatibility mode just doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.

So far, Windows XP is working pretty good for me.  If I start having problems with it, I'll switch back to Win2K . . . but for now, it's fine.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #20 on: 2002-01-23 05:43:00 »
hmm.... well what i've seen of XP i've liked. i would have it but its been on backorder for the last 3 WEEKS damn compaq. anyway the only real problems i've heard about were the plug-and-play mistake (classicly microsoft) and the fast that compatability mode doesn't work.

i currently have win2kpro i like it except it does some werid sh*t with my 3d card, and the fact that my mom is a controling b*tch:
me: look i'm not going to hurt the computer. i LIKE it working just fine thank you.
her:well maybe but you might screw it up and have to rebuild.
me: so, I religiously do that every 3 months anyway. and you have YOUR OWN COMPUTER
her: *walks away*

good lord it's horrible. and with winXP the user rights go out the widow :)
[edited] 275 2002-01-23 06:43

J*** H*******

...um, wow.
« Reply #21 on: 2002-01-23 07:58:00 »
Message.

Joey

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #22 on: 2002-01-23 08:35:00 »
XP is #%^%.

PartitionMagic trashed the FAT and XP refuses to start, even with the $#%&* CD, forcing me to reformat my comp.

XP does NOT have a "true" safe mode, unlike win9X

Question: why do they say that XP is unstable? I don't get it.
[edited] 39 2002-01-23 10:02

Ant

• View Profile
...um, wow.
« Reply #23 on: 2002-01-23 10:10:00 »
Gotta agree with you there joey, XP crashes far more than ME.
You may want to turn off the "restart if program not repsonding" option.  That way it'll go to the blue screen instead of just restarting...and you can then if you're lucky get back to explorer.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
...um, wow.
« Reply #24 on: 2002-01-23 14:11:00 »
XP crashes *more* than ME? What on earth have you been *doing* to your computers?!

I didn't think it was possible for *anything* to be more unstable than ME. Especially not something running on an NT kernel.