Author Topic: Is there a way to extract files from FF8DISC1.IMG ?  (Read 3365 times)

darknesshah66

• View Profile
Hey. I'd like to work a mod on ff8 with DOOMTRAIN but I'd probably need to extract the contents from the .IMG file in order to get my hands on the KERNEL. I tried to get the GARDEN tool but the link for it is no longer available. Can someone help me out here? And to clarify I'm talking about the NTSC-U PSX version.

-Darkness

darknesshah66

• View Profile
Re: Is there a way to extract files from FF8DISC1.IMG ?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-11-18 11:46:00 »
Update:

I read that the kernel data is not crypted or anything. It can be be accessed directly from the game image. But I only managed to access the data on Doomtrain by using the .IMG file of the game which I extracted using CDMage. I'm using the NTSC-U version of the game and the kernel section in the .IMG starts at 2800 (h) point. But I'm unsure where it ends. Someone here said that it ends after about 38000 bits but I'm unsure. I keep getting some weird messages on Doomtrain once in a while but at least the info is correct, I'm able to change the values and save. I still need to figure out how to insert the data back into the game image.

darknesshah66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-11-19 11:39:53 »
Update:

I figured out what to do and it was quite simple.

Just compare the unedited and edited kernel section files and find the differences (I used "010" hex editor to do this). And then insert the edited differences into the original game image (not .IMG file). In hex editor search for the unedited file's string of code so you know where it is in the game image and then copy paste the edited's string of code into it.

Basically you don't need Doomtrain tool since the kernel is not crypted or anything but it helps you understand where certain code is located in the game's image.

You can do the same thing in PAL version, however the kernel section starts at 5000(h) instead of 2800 in that version's .IMG file.

I'm not sure if you are able to use the kernel created from the game's original image in Doomtrain. You'll probably have to create the kernel file from the extracted .IMG file instead (my guess is there's some difference in code).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-11-28 20:09:15 »
darknesshah66, the "Tools" and "Releases" sections are clearly marked as being only for released things, i.e. something with a download link. They are not the correct place to answer questions. Additionally, please do not post the same thread in multiple places. Once is enough; if it is in the wrong place, a moderator will generally notice and move it within a few days.

darknesshah66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-02-19 17:14:04 »
I'm sorry I was tired and created the topic to 3 places where I should've only made it once and to right place. I edited the other 2 topics and wrote "remove this" or something along the lines.