Author Topic: Standard RPG's just not cutting it anymore  (Read 16037 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Standard RPG's just not cutting it anymore
« on: 2011-04-23 05:07:16 »
I'm wondering if I'm the only one doing this. In the last couple of years, I've steered more away from the standard rpg and more towards open ended rpgs. Meaning you create your own characters, stories (that go along with the main quest) and sometimes mod it.

Stuff like FF7, FF8, FFX was what I originally played and favored. Now it's more like balders gate, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout, etc.

Maybe cause there is more option to break the standard mold of being emo characters (cloud, Squall) or super hyper kid characters (tidus, Vaan). Maybe cause you have an option of going with the spunky fun girl(yuffie, selphie, Rikku) or the mature woman(tifa-ish, Quistis, LuLu) rather then a homely young woman(aerith, Yuna) Or maybe cause I could have the option to hack the game and fix the story to stop the girl from dying (FF7 with Aerith)

IDK, what do you all think, Railroad RPG's or Open Ended?

Mako

• View Profile
Re: Standard RPG's just not cutting it anymore
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-23 06:08:13 »
I think you mean Western RPG's vs Standard JRPG's.

If so, then yes I have found myself enjoying Western RPG's more often then I would like...Cause' square ain't giving up the goods this generation on the consoles. :P

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-23 06:08:35 »
I somewhat agree, lately all I've been playing is Rpgs that let you make decisions, decide how you look etc, mainly Fallout 3/New vegas, Oblivion and KOTOR, I guess when your life gets boring enough, being able to somewhat place your conscious on a game character helps. But I won't go as far as saying other Rpg's don't cut it anymore, Just play the Life stealer that is:  legend of Heroes, Trails in the sky, or Golden Sun Dark dawn, all great
It's just that being able to mold my characters personality and have my decisions affect the overall outcome is just something that's way to appealing, now if only the Esrb would die and then they add immersive sexual activity into these kinds of games...one can dream.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-23 06:23:35 »
I've found JRPG's to be too cliched story-wise this gen.  I still enjoy them, but not as much.  I have yet to play Lost Odyssey which I've been told is stellar though.  It's my next one.

I have found more enjoyment out of WRPG's lately but only the ones that are somewhat on rails as well (Mass Effect comes to mind).

I've always liked RPG's for their stories so I use the term RPG loosely here.  Japanese stories are more and more rehash of past titles.  WRPG's seem fresher to me.  Maybe its cultural differences.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-23 07:38:27 »
Open world where everything gets repetive and you start to feel like there is nothing to do, Bad character designs (Or ugly character parts for creation), bad story, clichéd drama (This is everywhere), usually bad gameplay elements..

So yeah.. Most WRPGs are bad just like any other game. It does not matter what genre, all it has to be is a good game.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-23 13:23:29 »
I somewhat agree, lately all I've been playing is Rpgs that let you make decisions, decide how you look etc, mainly Fallout 3/New vegas, Oblivion and KOTOR, I guess when your life gets boring enough, being able to somewhat place your conscious on a game character helps. But I won't go as far as saying other Rpg's don't cut it anymore, Just play the Life stealer that is:  legend of Heroes, Trails in the sky, or Golden Sun Dark dawn, all great
It's just that being able to mold my characters personality and have my decisions affect the overall outcome is just something that's way to appealing, now if only the Esrb would die and then they add immersive sexual activity into these kinds of games...one can dream.
If by immersive you mean can control the action. Umm, Second Life(roleplay areas), Oblivion, and Fallout you get to choose poses/animations. On Dragon age it's more like a movie.
And yes I'm talking about the PC versions with mods out there.
I believe there's some for the mass effect series as well. Probably, again, cinematic like dragon age.

Open world where everything gets repetive and you start to feel like there is nothing to do, Bad character designs (Or ugly character parts for creation), bad story, clichéd drama (This is everywhere), usually bad gameplay elements..

So yeah.. Most WRPGs are bad just like any other game. It does not matter what genre, all it has to be is a good game.
Depends, as I've pointed out, I tend to play the PC versions over platform just cause I can mod them. I usually do an original playthrough with vanilla and then mod it however I want.
EX made FallOut3 into Duke Nukem Fallout3D, mainly for fun while waiting on the next duke nukem game.

It's actually fun to make my own quests, and follow other peoples created quests. Go treasure hunting. Modded in farming, jobs, crafting etc. All the "naughtay" mods. The idea of making in game movies. etc.
For example, in Oblivion I had fun making Tristim from Diablo and 5 levels of hell (what expecting me to do 50. Not unless I'm paid.) And yeah, remake/refollow of the diablo story but still interesting to see from oblivion graphics versus diablos graphics.
Original quest I used to have in the works (jobs and job hunting has given me a poor excuse to be lazy on game modding though I've done more art) was one in oblivion based on everyone falling into dream/nightmare world. You have to take yourself and a priestess to the temples to try and get the deities to awaken Morpheus (god of dreams) Sorta think FF10 with more options and no "death" at the end
« Last Edit: 2011-04-23 13:35:26 by Furzball »

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-23 22:37:38 »
I know Oblivion and fallout has some pretty detailed and interesting mods for sexual content, you can do almost anything you can imagine to your female characters, I use the ones for Oblivion Regularly actually, just shows how much good comes when Japanese/Russian/American modders join forces, Though I'm more referring to officially released content, If there's a Brothel in game, I want to be able to actually have sex with the prostitutes, not some black screen, It'll never happen though, Rockstar did it and look what it got them into, people are just blinded my morals for something like that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-23 22:52:32 »
It is nothing to do with emo characters.  For a starter, Squall was sociopath.  It does not mean it is a bad story because the character has a character trait.  The reason I am sick of modern JRPG and games is the reliance on graphics instead of substance.  Liek FF12,13,14, MGS4, RE4, RE5. etc.

It is now just a graphic fest and gameplay plays second fiddle to it.  The dumbing down is ridiculous.  The stories are also getting more bloated and ridiculous.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-24 00:38:34 »
and how cliché and corny do these damn JRPGs have to get nowadays?

Examples I have are all that Hero shit Snow says in FF13, and CC, with Zack "EMBRACE YOUR DREAMS"

It's getting to be a little much. And all the fans of this crap, it's like they don't know what a story is anymore, or realize that these have been said before and take these overused words and phrases to heart, just because it's a character they like.

IMO new Jrpgs are clichéd and new Wrpgs are repetitive - if not in looks, in gameplay. The only repetitive wrpg I enjoy as much as the old jrpgs is daggerfall, and that's also an old Wrpg with a more in-depth story.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-24 01:28:28 »
It is fanboyism.  On a place like this forum, you will notice that a lot more people are agreeing with those sorts of sentiments.  Venture out of qhimm to general gaming sites and you will notice that you are made to feel stupid by saying the same things.

The grip of final fantasy is so tight, that a lot of people lack the ability to see past their own eye balls, and realise that something is very wrong.  They lack the ability of free thought, because their fanboyism is blinding them to the obvious. 

If people could look objectively at this franchise, FF13 would not have been anywhere near as popular as it was, especially with reviewers.  It seems that action and graphics are popular with a shit load of people.  They see things that are not there, see positives in clear negatives ("Oh I didn't like world map, so I am glad it isn't there anymore" etc).  They equate evolution in what is actually reduction. 

Quite simply, there are too many stupid people about.  Thanks to them and the corrupt magazines that review games, we now have to suffer the consequences.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-24 01:56:35 »
/\ sounds like what started out affecting the FPS market has branched out to everywhere now.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-24 02:55:12 »
reliance on graphics instead of substance.  Liek ..., RE4, ... etc.
iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-24 03:21:23 »
I stand by it...  All of those games turned against what they were about and started down the path to mindless graphics and action.  Re4 is nowhere near as good as Re2 imho.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-24 03:26:27 »
It seems true about most games nowadays sadly.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-24 03:42:07 by BloodShot »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-24 03:58:15 »
I stand by it...  All of those games turned against what they were about and started down the path to mindless graphics and action.  Re4 is nowhere near as good as Re2 imho.
I wouldn't at all mind RE2 remade in RE4's engine. Something about the fake difficulty from unfair camera angles and awful controls made it a less than pleasant experience for me.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-04-24 04:02:05 »
I wouldn't at all mind RE2 remade in RE4's engine. Something about the fake difficulty from unfair camera angles and awful controls made it a less than pleasant experience for me.
RE4's storyline never really hooked me, but for whatever reason the game sure did.  And if a game can make me look forward to playing it, whatever the reason, then I think it's done its job.

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-04-24 04:55:17 »

This, same goes for all Re games up till 3, which are the ones I have played, they were not the extremely challenging games that everyone made them out to be, 95% of the time I died in those games, I was yelling F@ck these controls as I tried desperately to figure out what arrow would take me forward and not have me run unintentionally into a hoard of zombies, at least in Re4/5 when I died, It was due to my own stupidity.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-04-24 08:37:45 »
It is nothing to do with emo characters.  For a starter, Squall was sociopath.  It does not mean it is a bad story because the character has a character trait.  The reason I am sick of modern JRPG and games is the reliance on graphics instead of substance.  Liek FF12,13,14, MGS4, RE4, RE5. etc.

It is now just a graphic fest and gameplay plays second fiddle to it.  The dumbing down is ridiculous.  The stories are also getting more bloated and ridiculous.

This x 1000. Me (being a huge FF, Resident Evil 1/2/3 and Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3 fan) completely agrees. Sadly, there is not a single next gen game I'm looking forward to, except from The Last Guardian. And, as great as they are, you can't say the Team ICO games are full of gameplay. They're more some kind of emotional experience.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-04-24 09:15:30 »

*PICTURE*

Given that I looked at the image for all of 2 seconds, and went "OH, that's DooM 1, E1M1" and then saw the other one and thought "well that's awful bland......and exactly like how games are now"  shows you bad the situation has gotten, and how lasting an impression games used to make, you know, when devs actually tried.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-04-24 11:36:25 »

hahahaha ;)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2011-04-25 00:26:35 »
No contribution, I just wanted to moan about everyone in this thread using apostrophes to pluralize everything.

That is all.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-04-25 02:23:26 »
No contribution, I just wanted to moan about everyone in this thread using apostrophes to pluralize everything.

That is all.
I wouldn't at all mind RE2 remade in RE4's (possessive, apostrophe appropriate) engine. Something about the fake difficulty from unfair camera angles (plural, no apostrophe) and awful controls (plural, no apostrophe) made it a less than pleasant experience for me.
I wouldn't say "everyone". At the very least, I know how to use apostrophes.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-04-25 02:26:07 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-04-25 04:23:37 »

Pfft. I still win because the only apostrophes I've used are for contractions.  :mrgreen:

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-04-25 04:55:34 »
You aren't skilled in the ways of quotation marks yet. When there are quotes at the end of the sentence, the punctuation mark comes before the closing quotation mark.