Author Topic: Question of curiosity, FF7 remake and qhimm?  (Read 2446 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Question of curiosity, FF7 remake and qhimm?
« on: 2014-07-03 08:19:30 »
Ok with the G-Bike demo teaser supposedly test running the idea for a remake to FF7, I started to nostalgia for FF7. Thank you steam for making it easier to install. Anyways I got to thinking about the remake. I know I havent been on the boards or contributed for a long time so this post is out of the blue. Let's say that SE makes the new FF7 to be everything we dreamed for. Open world, moddable, Pc plus playstation, hq graphics, the works. Would Qhimm community switch over to modding the remake or continue working on the original? Most likely both I'd wager. What types of projects would you all enjoy bringing to both versions if there were the tools/resources for both?

Glad to still see things going on healthily here :)

Shard

• View Profile
Re: Question of curiosity, FF7 remake and qhimm?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-03 10:43:38 »
Square won't remake FF7, and even if they did, they wouldn't make it moddable.

They're too busy scaring their stockholders to death with new, untested ideas, rather than release a product that literally every square fan has been asking for for over a decade.

All that being said, Q-Gears is a big step in that direction. It's an engine rewrite that works off FF7's file formats, but since we'll have the source code, we'd be able to add lots of cool stuf to it that we currently can't via modding alone.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Re: Question of curiosity, FF7 remake and qhimm?
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-03 16:35:12 »
@Shard:Yoshinori Kitase was recently asked in Weekly Famitsu (during an interview about the G-Bike game for mobile devices) about possibility of a remake. He states that the G-Bike game would be watched and could "pave the path". It is still a Schroeder's cat of if or not it will be remade but yet again gives SE a look at the customer base for such a game. Just crossing my fingers on it. And yes most likely they wouldn't make FF7 moddable. Most likely if it is at all moddable it is because we figure out how to.

Really wish they would quit with untested ideas for awhile and catch up on HD updates/remakes. Aside from FF7 I'd want FF8 update.

Q-gears is an exciting project and yes I do know of it. I used to frequent the boards and even made some attempt at adding a mod. Though needed help and completely failed especially once a laptop overheated and I tended not to make backups. I'd be excited if Q-gears got to the stage of an usable tool like Elderscrolls Construction Kit. If there were ways to convert the FF7 files into updated resources and more easily moddable because of that, it'd be fun to poke around in it again (for me). Alas it'll be a long while before any such thing happens.