Author Topic: An interesting, but unecessary observation  (Read 3740 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
An interesting, but unecessary observation
« on: 2010-11-04 05:18:43 »

I know everyone is aware that most people don't read the rules, but I noticed something that really puts it in perspective.  I understand why Aali's driver gets so many views, but thats a ratio of 82:1  When someone comes in from google does it count as a view?  Probably.  In that case, even Halkun's Ultra Sticky has more than 3 times the views of the rules.

Good move removing the pedia, maybe stick some threads related to the former member in the trash
« Last Edit: 2010-11-04 05:22:11 by xLostWingx »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting, but unecessary observation
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-04 05:29:59 »
The custom graphics driver thread was around LONG before the new rules.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-04 06:39:32 »
I figured as much.  I'm sure there are better examples.  My PSX mod thead has 1/3 the number of views as the new rules and it has only been around for a few days. 

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-04 09:46:31 »
To be fair, the New Rules threads are posted in multiple places.  It's only valid to compare it to other threads if all the views are added up.

EDIT: That's exactly what I've just gone and done.

Frequently Asked Questions >> The Rules:     423 views
General Discussion >> The New Rules:           320 views
Tech-related Discussion >> The New Rules:    208 views
Tech Support >> The New Rules:                   288 views
Projects >> The New Rules:                        2,056 views
Feedback >> The New Rules:                         349 views
Completely Unrelated >> The New Rules:       243 views

TOTAL: 3,887 views

Keep in mind that unlike most threads, nothing new is posted in those rules threads, so people only ever have to look at them once.  Other threads are prone to getting so many more views because people reply to them, the content of the threads change, and more and more people view and re-view them to see what's new.  In fact, the reason why the rules thread in Projects has an oddly high number of views (compared with the others) is because there were several replies in there.  Without the replies, the rules threads would only have roughly 2,000 views between them.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-04 10:01:16 by The Seer of Shadows »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-04 18:44:24 »
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/lostwingx/Viewsinteresting.jpg[/img]

I know everyone is aware that most people don't read the rules, but I noticed something that really puts it in perspective.  I understand why Aali's driver gets so many views, but thats a ratio of 82:1  When someone comes in from google does it count as a view?  Probably.  In that case, even Halkun's Ultra Sticky has more than 3 times the views of the rules.

That doesn't put it into perspective at all. There are still over 2000 views; that's a lot. Easily enough for several views for every person who has posted since the rules were made.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-04 19:06:52 »
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/lostwingx/Viewsinteresting.jpg[/img]

That doesn't put it into perspective at all. There are still over 2000 views; that's a lot. Easily enough for several views for every person who has posted since the rules were made.
Good point. If people aren't posting, I don't really see much reason why they should need to read the rules, and my guess is neither do they.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-04 19:33:56 »
Hmmm, I've been enlightened.  But now the question becomes, "If so many people are reading the rules, why do so many break them?"  The answer is probably as simple as, "They don't care."  But I like thinking about this type of thing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-04 20:00:15 »
Hmmm, I've been enlightened.  But now the question becomes, "If so many people are reading the rules, why do so many break them?"  The answer is probably as simple as, "They don't care."  But I like thinking about this type of thing.

People have a funny habit of thinking that rules don't apply to them. You see, their situations are always exceptional, so it's OK to break the rules. As long as their intention isn't malicious, they think it doesn't count.