Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1265299 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #1675 on: 2013-06-24 23:56:42 »
Achievement unlocked! :P

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: 2013-06-25 01:04:12 »
If i wasn't so broke i'd buy ya a beer! remind me to later this week :P Me and my friends can't wait to try this out, Seriously i have about 10 of em lined up to run through it :P

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: 2013-06-25 01:30:23 »
Well that took entirely too long  :D

So you up for VIII next eh Dan? ::)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: 2013-06-25 01:32:16 »

lmao in ff8 fans' dreams!   :-D :-D :-D  I'm never doing this with a game of 7s size again ever.  No way.  Only 7 gets this treatment from me and I am still a bit miffed that no one else bothered to do this.  Although, maybe they were just sane.  :P

I wonder how 8 text compares to 7 overall?  I am guessing 7 is the larger.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-25 01:34:43 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #1679 on: 2013-06-25 04:02:37 »

I'd love some help with my Greek fonts though  :|

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1680 on: 2013-06-25 04:27:47 »
You could go for IV or VI and I wouldn't complain? And they have less text! :D

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: 2013-06-25 14:05:30 »
Wow, you guys are really asking more of him? lol

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #1682 on: 2013-06-25 16:23:25 »
This is an incredible achievement. Definitely among one of the most needed modifications, and three years is an impressive commitment. With so many abandoned projects it's great to see something like this completed. Really looking forward to seeing your completed release when it's ready. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: 2013-06-25 16:30:37 »
IV could definitely use a new translation. The SNES translation was okay, but had the occasional sign of "done by a non-native English speaker" sprinkled throughout. The PS1 translation was a piece of crap that made stuff up at every opportunity. The GBA and PSP translations are modified from the PS1 translation, generally for the sake of fixing some of the more serious mistakes, but also for the sake of adding unnecessary internet jokes and references:

Mato's been doing a whole series of articles on the various localizations (in fact, reading this is the only reason I know the existing localizations are less than stellar), and I highly recommend giving it a read if you're interested in what they've all got wrong.

That said, I wouldn't even consider asking Dan and Luksy. While I'm sure they're up to the task, they need a break.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: 2013-06-25 17:52:27 »
How is the dialogue in DS IV?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: 2013-06-25 18:16:38 »
I don't know. Mato didn't look into it in his writeup, and I didn't really get far enough to see for myself (I gave up pretty early, because the voice acting was so awful, and frankly the PSP version was far prettier and included FFIV: The After Years).

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1686 on: 2013-06-25 18:33:01 »
I was mostly joking around, so sorry if it sounded like I was really asking! You and Luksy have done an amazing thing Dan, and I'll always appreciate it even if you vanish off the face of the internet for some reason after it's total completion!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: 2013-06-25 19:30:08 »
 ;D I knew you werent being that serious.  Any case, I don't have any passion for any other ff in the same way, and the ffs i love second best (10, 8, 9) are all translated pretty damn well from what I can see.  8-)  I'd consider doing Bof3 in like 5 years time hahaha

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #1688 on: 2013-06-25 23:55:35 »
Do you accept paysafe? I'll send you one but it's in euros I'm not sure if it's the same...

Xialoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: 2013-06-26 03:01:47 »
Does Bootleg use the updated retranslation from this mod, or is it using an outdated version? I ask because the link in the package thread points to the original retranslation thread, so just curious. I'm at the end of endlessly testing and uninstalling things all the way through via bootlegger and am considering doing some individual bits if anything needs to be smoothed out..

Edit: Oh wait, this was just officially completed yesterday I see, nice! That being said, that makes it doubtful that the bootlegger is up to date through to the very end. I'll have to look into finally installing a mod for this game on my own looks like =O.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-26 03:03:49 by Xialoh »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: 2013-06-27 16:05:44 »
I always hated this part as a kid even, because I knew something was wrong.  This part really is wrong.  I remember reading "I lost the last time, too" thinking "wtf, where did that come from??"

Old
Code: [Select]
------------------------------
{CLOUD}
“I can't believe you're
the one who did this…”
{CLOUD}
“Illusionary crime against Sephiroth…”
{VINCENT}
“…”
Hojo
“Heee, hee, hee!
No you're wrong!”{NEW}
“It's my desire as a scientist!
Heee, hee, hee!”
{VINCENT}
“I was…wrong.
The one that should have slept was…”
{VINCENT}
“…You, Hojo!”
Hojo
“I…was defeated by my drive
to become a scientist.”{NEW}
“I lost the last time, too.”
Hojo
“I've injected Jenova's cells into my own body!”{NEW}
“Heee, hee, hee!”{NEW}
“Here are…”
Hojo
“Heee, hee, hee!”{NEW}
“…the results!!”

New
{CLOUD}
“I can't believe you
would do such a thing…”
{CLOUD}
“So this is your way of atoning
for what you did to Sephiroth…”
{VINCENT}
“…”
Hojo
“Hee,hee,hee!
Oh,you're mistaken!”{NEW}
“I am simply following
my instincts as a scientist!
Hee,hee,hee!”
{VINCENT}
“I was… wrong.
The one who should have slept was…”
{VINCENT}
“…you,Hojo!”
Hojo
“I have been… ughh…
overwhelmed by my
drive as a scientist.”{NEW}
“Just as I was back then.”
Hojo
“I have injected Jenova cells
into my own body!”{NEW}
“Hee,hee,hee!”{NEW}
“Allow me to…”
Hojo
“Haw,haw,haw!”{NEW}
“…show you the results!!”
« Last Edit: 2013-06-27 16:10:11 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: 2013-06-27 16:18:02 »
I can see where "lost" came from, when put side by side with "defeated", but it doesn't really work.

That said, is "back then" really the best way to put this? That expression only really makes sense when you've already got a contextual timeframe mentioned beforehand (i.e. "I remember when I was younger. Back then, I...").  In this case, "before" might work better.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: 2013-06-27 16:23:38 »
“I…was defeated by my drive
   to become a scientist.”{NEW}

is completely wrong to begin with...  He wasn't defeated by his drive to become a scientist.  He is saying his scientific curiosity got the better of him in the past when he injected Sep with Jenova cells, and that it has done so again by injecting himself.  He does what he does on impulse and on drive.  He is basically a FF7 Mengele.

Defeated by my drive to become a scientist is totally bogus.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-27 16:26:08 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1693 on: 2013-06-27 17:33:36 »
“Illusionary crime against Sephiroth…”

This line alone is just "lolwtf" I NEVER understood this.  I don't remember being too bothered by it because I chalked it up to one of VII's odd... 'quirks', but it's just like "Cloud you're supposed to be sane now what are you talking about".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: 2013-06-27 17:47:09 »
Yeah that made absolutely no sense at all... and I remember it well.  I remember also thinking "What is he on about??  What illusionary crime??"

Hojo
“Hee,hee,hee!
Oh,you're mistaken!”{NEW}
“I am simply satisfying
my scientific curiosity! <<
Ha,ha,ha!”

I am going to run that by Luksy as well.  A lot of things will be needing tweaks in the days to come.  I have only 4 maps left now to localise.  Things are subject to change for a while, and I will be needing another Japanese speaker to run through all the maps at some point (just skimming over the new localisaion v japanese).  I am gonna need luck with that hahaha.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-27 17:54:38 by DLPB »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: 2013-06-27 18:48:09 »
I am interested in beta testing your installer when it is ready. I am prepared to play through the entire retranslation and I want to test to make sure the Americanized versions and fanboy options work as you originally intended. Thanks for your consideration. Are your PMs blocked for everyone?

Edit: Not wanting to critique your dialogue for the retranslation, per se. I just like obsessively testing installers that are complex and interesting. I would, however, be prepared to give feedback about idiomatic or localization issues for the Americanized version. I have seen it working in the MO05 translation and it's pretty good.   
« Last Edit: 2013-06-27 23:13:54 by Template »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: 2013-06-27 18:50:48 »
Mostly everyone.  We can work here anyway, when it is done.  I call the options "incorrect" now as opposed to "fanboy" :P  The American option will certainly have a few niggles. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: 2013-06-28 15:11:26 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCnP1Eyhy4

FF7 has now been relocalised and retranslated.   8)

Status
  • Debug (Maybe not being edited): 13
  • No text: 17
  • Non dialogue: 122/122
  • Dialogue (by maps): 554/554
  • Dialogue (by size): 1363KB of 1363KB (100%)
  • ff7.exe: Completed
  • Kernel.bin: Completed
  • kernel2.bin: Completed
  • scene.bin: Completed

Around 150,000 words.  This is comparable to The Two Towers, and more than Return of the King.

It seems fitting to show you where the project began its life...
Right here:  http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8230.msg101265#msg101265

And here we are years later, finally it has been realised.  The following things now need to happen for the Reunion release:

1. touphscript recoded and fixed, with additional changes made. [Luksy has already started on this]
2. Check through all 676 text maps. Fix any grammar errors, spelling errors, and awkward dialogue.  This will then be the first draft.
3. Send the remaining Cait Sith parts, and other Scottish parts to Prince Lex to update.
4. Finish Submarine minigame
5. Finish updates to Menu Overhaul

After that I can release it.  The translation will still not be finalised at this point.  It still requires Luksy to go through 676 maps and see if he is happy, Covarr (and perhaps others) to do the same, me to go through entire game making corrections, and if possible, another fluent Japanese speaker to go through all maps.  After this is done, I will consider it completed.  Although other changes could always be made after this point should people find them.

« Last Edit: 2013-06-28 18:14:24 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1698 on: 2013-06-28 20:06:20 »
Ya know, this may actually motivate me to play through the game again AS A GAME! :O I never liked the script and I'm eagerly anticipating a new take on it.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1699 on: 2013-06-28 22:31:28 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCnP1Eyhy4

FF7 has now been relocalised and retranslated.   8)

Status
  • Debug (Maybe not being edited): 13
  • No text: 17
  • Non dialogue: 122/122
  • Dialogue (by maps): 554/554
  • Dialogue (by size): 1363KB of 1363KB (100%)
  • ff7.exe: Completed
  • Kernel.bin: Completed
  • kernel2.bin: Completed
  • scene.bin: Completed

Around 150,000 words.  This is comparable to The Two Towers, and more than Return of the King.

It seems fitting to show you where the project began its life...
Right here:  http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8230.msg101265#msg101265

And here we are years later, finally it has been realised.  The following things now need to happen for the Reunion release:

1. touphscript recoded and fixed, with additional changes made. [Luksy has already started on this]
2. Check through all 676 text maps. Fix any grammar errors, spelling errors, and awkward dialogue.  This will then be the first draft.
3. Send the remaining Cait Sith parts, and other Scottish parts to Prince Lex to update.
4. Finish Submarine minigame
5. Finish updates to Menu Overhaul

After that I can release it.  The translation will still not be finalised at this point.  It still requires Luksy to go through 676 maps and see if he is happy, Covarr (and perhaps others) to do the same, me to go through entire game making corrections, and if possible, another fluent Japanese speaker to go through all maps.  After this is done, I will consider it completed.  Although other changes could always be made after this point should people find them.

I can't wait! :D Finding another Japanese speaker might be rough. I only know a few, but they'd want to be paid, even for a proofreading job (especially given the scope of this). None of them are VII fans to my knowledge, either, so no luck there. XD It'll probably be easier than finding a translator turned out to be, though! Good luck!

I'll probably play the initial release and note any awkwardness, grammar, and spelling problems for you, though. It's not much, but it seems the thing I'm most capable of doing. I'm getting several friends to play it, so they can keep an eye out for you as well.