Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1265261 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS. Read first post for updates.]
« Reply #1700 on: 2013-06-30 05:12:03 »
I had not noticed that... the reason you can is because of the black background.  I did use black background in testing but not with Felix.  It's likely caused by something on the texture.  All I will do is delete it :)  Thanks for that.

I have since tested this with other background colors and they have no effect. Including white.

Edit: Yah, that is true. I just can't figure out how to fix it on my own and it's pissing me off lol :?
« Last Edit: 2013-06-30 13:34:49 by Template »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #1701 on: 2013-06-30 12:26:44 »
Black would show it up easier.  I find it much harder to see those specs on lighter colours

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: 2013-06-30 16:07:44 »
The game continues to throw up surprises.  Today one I thought we had translated right turned out to be wrong.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKl04es5qkqdHFKVjF1SVY2RjlKUGNzSU1Db0tzenc#gid=0

千年霜柱の洞窟
Original translation:  Frostbite Cave
New Translation: Cave of Ice Needles

"Lit. Cave of Ancient Shimo Bashira
[Cut due to space limit. 霜柱 is the
Japanese term for Needle Ice.  This can
also be Cave of the 1000 Year Old Shimo
Bashira]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_ice
« Last Edit: 2013-06-30 16:10:52 by DLPB »

Template

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS. Read first post for updates.]
« Reply #1703 on: 2013-07-01 08:12:13 »
Sorry for my noob question, but when I replace the 5 b_l files from your .rar file to the bootleg/menu folder, everytime I launch the game, they are owerwritten and replaced by the original files.
Is it the normal behaviour ?

I believe the reason for this behavior is because Bootleg installs Avalanche GUI, which conflicts with the Menu Overhaul 05c. The alternate materia files I uploaded will only work if you use Menu Overhaul and you haven't installed avalanche GUI.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-01 12:10:41 by Template »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #1704 on: 2013-07-01 14:02:58 »
Consider of Type-0 translation if this is in any way possible...  :|

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: 2013-07-01 14:09:37 »
Consider of Type-0 translation if this is in any way possible...  :|
There is a english patch for it in the works here:
http://skybladecloud.wordpress.com/projects/final-fantasy-type-0-english-translation/
That reminded me to get this game for my psp which i recently fixed :)

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #1706 on: 2013-07-01 14:15:46 »
No freaking way! How the heck wasn't I aware of this earlier!!! Type-0 stands for the predecessor of the FF's new age battle system! I'm going to look through it right away! Please keep me updated about this project! Thank you so much!!!

For anyone willing to help:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/
« Last Edit: 2013-07-01 14:22:01 by LeonhartGR »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: 2013-07-01 21:17:54 »
I'm now goign through all maps proof reading and correcting.  Can't help but notice how much better the translation is now, even if I am throwing bouquets at myself  ;D  Not sure if I already shared this one...

Old
Code: [Select]
------------------------------
{RED XIII}
“I can't leave you like this,
Grandfather!”{NEW}
“It's the duty of…
Seto's son, to guard this
canyon and her people…”
Bugenhagen
“…listen, Nanaki.
I think you may already know.”{NEW}
“If you have any mission in life,
it is not to defend this valley.”
Bugenhagen
“Look at the withering mountain grass.
Listen to the warble of
the new born chocobo's.”{NEW}
“Look always to the eternal flow of time
which is far greater than
the span of a human life.”{NEW}
“It will teach you more,
than staying here in the valley…”{NEW}
“What you will see will eventually
become a part of the Lifestream.”{NEW}
“For my children…
And for your children…”

New
Code: [Select]
{RED XIII}
“I can't leave you like this,
Grandpa!”{NEW}
“My duty… my duty as the son
of Seto is to protect everyone in
this valley… Everyone in Cosmo
Canyon!”
Bugenhagen
“…Listen to me,Nanaki.
And I think you may know this already…”{NEW}
“If you have any duty at all,
it is… not to defend this valley.”
Bugenhagen
“Look at the trees withering on the mountain.
Listen to the warble of a new born Chocobo.”{NEW}
“Fix your eyes upon a span of time… far,far
longer than that of a single human life.”{NEW}
“These can teach you much more than
staying here in the valley ever could…”{NEW}
“Before long,all that you see around you
will become one with the Lifestream,and
will be succeeded…”{NEW}
“…by our children.
And by your children,Nanaki…”

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: 2013-07-01 21:26:41 »
Listen to the warble of the new born chocobo's.
THIS SERIOUSLY MADE IT IN?! I can't believe nobody caught that in the original translation.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: 2013-07-01 21:27:44 »
Yup. But then, no one caught Beacause.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: 2013-07-01 21:32:25 »
And by your children,Nanaki
I ever wondered where they come from. :?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: 2013-07-01 21:33:20 »
They come 500 years later, he's talking about the future.  He obviously believes Nanaki will find more of his race. Actually, thinking about it, 500 years is too great a number in a way.  He is around 15 or 16 by his tribe's standard when he is 48.  That would mean 500 years later he is 167 by human standard.  Oh well.  Maybe humans err... live longer on Gaia haha

I don't usually nitpick that sort of thing with a plot...  but there it is.  :P
« Last Edit: 2013-07-01 21:38:44 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #1712 on: 2013-07-01 22:14:07 »
Yup. But then, no one caught Beacause.

That remains a classic!

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: 2013-07-02 00:14:12 »
THIS SERIOUSLY MADE IT IN?! I can't believe nobody caught that in the original translation.

On a scale of 1-10 of what's wrong with the original translation, this ranks at maybe a 2  :D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: 2013-07-02 01:08:29 »
On a scale of 1-10 of what's wrong with the original translation, this ranks at maybe a 2  :D
Maybe overall, but it's a hell of a lot more visible to someone who isn't familiar with the original than mistakes with the translation itself.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #1715 on: 2013-07-02 01:12:23 »
They come 500 years later, he's talking about the future.  He obviously believes Nanaki will find more of his race. Actually, thinking about it, 500 years is too great a number in a way.  He is around 15 or 16 by his tribe's standard when he is 48.  That would mean 500 years later he is 167 by human standard.  Oh well.  Maybe humans err... live longer on Gaia haha

I don't usually nitpick that sort of thing with a plot...  but there it is.  :P

Not that I accept a damn bit of the Compilation as canon, but apparently in one bit of extra material a female of his race is talked about? Vincent and him have a chat about how they'll both be alive in the future in one of them too, and I think it directly references the ending as Nanaki coming to visit Vincent in the Midgar ruins.

I've always held a fan theory that something about Holy's influence at the end depetrified Seto and maybe there were other stones too or something?

As for the age thing, it's possible that the rate of aging between human and fireliondogs changes as the fireliondogs get older.  I know that the rate of age equivalency varies on dogs, the seven = 1 year thing only applies to part of the lifespan, and I think they age quicker when they're younger so that would apply here too.

Not that I think this much real thought was put into it by the writers, it just sort of worked out. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: 2013-07-02 01:38:15 »
Yeah truth is, writers fucked up.  :P

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: 2013-07-02 02:06:35 »
Maybe overall, but it's a hell of a lot more visible to someone who isn't familiar with the original than mistakes with the translation itself.

Well visible to you beacause your a literate individual, possessive's and plural's are easily overlooked by you're average Joe.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: 2013-07-02 02:10:31 »
Well visible to you beacause your a literate individual, possessive's and plural's are easily overlooked by you're average Joe.

Haha, also, there is some dialogue that sounds plain bad and wrong to anyone... that Yuffie dialogue on the main post is one good example.  That is far far worse than a misplaced comma or apostrophe.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: 2013-07-02 02:12:16 »
10/10 would read again.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: 2013-07-02 02:20:16 »
you missed a your that should be you're :P  and I say a comma after the well.  :evil:

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: 2013-07-02 04:01:18 »
Just goes to show how easy it is to overlook these kind of misteakes, especially if you're reading quickly.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: 2013-07-02 04:05:44 »
misteakes

Great now I'm hungry.

Yarow12

• I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
    • View Profile
Re: BEACAUSE - Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #1723 on: 2013-07-02 08:21:41 »
Guess who's back.
The information presented has been copied from the BEACAUSE - Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project Non-dialogue documentation.

Names to consider changing.

Row 60: Elmyra > Elmina
Row 84: Mr. Coates > Coates // [There are hundreds of possible influences]
Row 111: Village Headman > Mayor
Row 270: Rocket Launch Pad Area > Launch Pad Area // Lit. Rocket Port Area [Likely some sort of misunderstanding with how the English works]
Row 273: Woodlands Area > Woodland Area
Row 301: 4th Street Plate Int. > Inside Plate // Lit. District 4, Inside Plate
Row 305: Aljunon > R-Junon // [Not seen in play due to menu access being disabled on Junone2/3]
Row 387: Gate of Naught  > "Useless Door" // Lit. In front of "Useless Door"

Names that could have been a simple attempt by translator(s)/developers at being subtle, but since it's a mod you can choose the opposite path and make the references more obvious. Personally, I find subtlety to be precious.

Row 63: Gast Faremis > Gusto Faremis // [Gusto is a restaurant, Faremis comes from anagram of ファミレス Family Restaurant]
Row 64: Godo Kisaragi > Godot Kisaragi // [Very likely from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot]
Row 66: Hart > Hut // [Likely named after Pizza Hut according to Ultimania]
Row 69: Holzoff > Holzhoff // [It is possibly German.  Holz and hoff. Both are related to surnames]
Row 118: Yamski > Yamaski // [Yama is Mountain in Japanese. Ski, the English word.  Giving Mountain Skier]
Row 115: Zack Fair > Zax Fair // [Zax, old English for Knife]
Row 362: Da-chao Statue > Da Zhao Statue // [Pinyin romanisation http:\\en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Zhao_Temple]

Reasoning.

Row 60 - Elmyra was changed to Elmina instead of the way it would (probably) be spelled in English, "Elmira". I'm not asking about Row 59 because it was apparently "Verified by the Official Establishment File."
Row 69 - Would you really combine both words exactly without making any attempt at being creative or less obvious?
Row 84 - Why remove "Mr."?
Row 111 - If the location is a city, then you did well. If it is more of a village, then I'd recommend giving the NPC a villager's title like "Chief".
Row 270 - Or "Launch Zone".
Row 273 - Or "Woodlands".
Row 301 - Or "Interior Plate".
Row 305 - Explanation?
Row 387 - Gate of Naught is a lot funnier and non-generic.

Nice call on everything else, though. Hard works pays off eventually.

I left off on Row 387 and will continue down the line at some later time.

By the way, the Gorkii error may have been a joke.

misteakes
Great now I'm hungry.
FFFUUUUU~
« Last Edit: 2013-07-02 08:33:43 by Yarow12 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: 2013-07-02 10:30:59 »
The names can be changed back to their incorrect forms via the installer options. Since they are incorrect, they won't be changed in our official release.  The installer allows you to keep the original names. Coates won't be changed to Mr. Coates, it isn't necessary.  If the dialogue demands a title then it will be used :)  The Japanese makes no reference to mister in his box title.  Elmina is a Japanese sounding name, and it really is likely Elmina, same with Mina. It is still possible that something else was intended, but certainly not Elmyra.  There is no myra sound in the character's name, it is definitely meena, mina).  A place where rockets are launched from is a Launch Pad.  Holzhoff is possible, but given it is a snow mountain area, it may be a russian thing, Holzhov.  One name here is as good as another since there is no way to know. The mayor thing is probably best as chief, you're right.  I didn't know what to use here in place of it, but Luksy told me that villages don't have mayors.  Gate of Naught is flat out a very bad translation that misses the whole point of Bugenhagen's door (which is not a gate anyway in any sense).  The gorkii error was not a joke, and was translated correctly outside of battle.  In any case, it is Gorky, from Maxim Gorky.

Thanks for your input.  I have to tell you though, that the vast vast majority of that document is permanent.  Things that need real input are the entries marked in red or green, those are the only ones that are likely to be incorrect/possibly incorrect.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-02 11:29:49 by DLPB »