Author Topic: Extending the integral value (approx. 65535) to 99999+  (Read 3013 times)

Mortael

• View Profile
Are there any hex geniuses out there who can perhaps try and find away to modify the game? If I remember hearing correctly... The game only allows up to approximately 65535, which would be the maximum for damage to be displayed, or something close to that? Is it at all possibly to change this to reach 99999? Or even beyond that? What about statistics.. Beyond 255? (But maybe have it only possible for bosses to have them above 255, or again strength can be the only stat to be modified above 255, you may need str ups to get it past 255 and percentage%+ above 255 could be considered going above 9999 at this point.)

I can imagine a number of glitches/errors or whatever may occur. With this, could a new break damage/hitpoint limit be created? Would it then be possible to give bosses more HP, higher stats - similar to the requiem mod, but recreated for PC/steam? I wonder if it would be possible to make it so the other character's ultimate weapons allow for break damage..? Because at the moment, they seem pointless to get, rather than Squall's lionheart. This would also give the player an option, making the game even more challenging...

My biggest question is... Where to begin? Is this all achievable?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Extending the integral value (approx. 65535) to 99999+
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-24 22:13:23 »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: 65 535 in decimal is FFFF in hex, which happens to be the maximum value for two-bytes values. To raise it higher than that would require changing a lot of things; too many to count. It MAY be doable, but I don't think anyone's willing to go to such lengths for such small benefit. There's too much work involved, and honestly, I doubt it's even possible. At any rate it's most likely not happening.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-24 23:34:41 »
Dziugo wouldn't consider it, and if he wouldn't then the answer is no.  In my brief time looking, the task would be enormous.  It's not impossible, it's just too much work.  And having large numbers does nothing other than have large numbers.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-24 23:36:08 »
As this is qhimm, I guess you are talking ff7?

First of all, the displayed damage is 16 bit but holding negatives so we can go up to 2^15 -1 which is 32767.

Now extending this is technically possible, there are multiple variables of different size holding the damage during the calculation. With a strong missing score shot the game must be able to handle several hundred thousands of damage which it is, on psx the threshold for base damage goes as far as 2^18, on PC, though I'm no expert for the port, should be even more.

Now the tough one is altering the code. One has to change the memory assignment for the specific battle routines to make it use larger variables for the whole calculation. That should be damn. hard and afaik require a pretty complete rewrite of the battle system.

For starters take memory dumps to get to the files needed to execute the damage calculation. If you rock you will find the correct code, disassemble it, rewrite it, make the rest work with it, repack and release.

I don't see that happening though :)

Mortael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-25 01:17:40 »
I am considering giving it a go myself... I don't really have a lot of time, but I could probably at least attempt it. I might be able to create some funny/shocking results :D I'll report on my progress, even if insignificant! One things about Square Enix, is their attention to detail... And having multiple files for everything...

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-25 02:15:14 »
No. Even more emphatic than my "Can anyone have different Limits; No" I responded with earlier. This isn't some trivial thing you can fix with a few consideration conversions. Such an undertaking would REQUIRE NO LESS THAN A RE-WRITE OF NEARLY THE ENTIRE BATTLE MODULE AND SAVEMAP!

Perhaps in the "yet-to-be-announced" remake they'll have altered things enough to allow for such editing. Unless you have a TEAM with a strong understanding of how things already work and a LOT of time on your collective hands, this endeavor is doomed to fail or be abandoned.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-25 02:29:54 »
Yeah that is true of course. I admit I should've put more emphasis on the “rewrite the whole battle system“ part. I wasn't trying to imply that it could be done by editing 3 offsets or so, just including that it is technically possible. And that it is I'm sure.