Author Topic: FFVII and FFVIII are on steam but are not released!!!  (Read 9557 times)

ff7rules

• View Profile
http://n4g.com/news/792780/final-fantasy-vii-and-viii-are-on-steam-but-will-likely-never-see-release

Square Enix has had versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII uploaded to Steam's online service for months but they are yet to and likely never will be released to the public, RPG Site can reveal.

The PC versions of the game are based off the PC ports released by Eidos back in 1998 and 2000. Eidos were of course later purchased by Square Enix, which presumably meant this code fell back into their hands.

Most interesting of all, the PC version of Final Fantasy VIII appears to have been edited from its original version in an attempt to force the game to run better (or at all) on modern operating systems.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII and FFVIII are on steam but are not released!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-29 11:05:51 »
lol I already made a topic concerning this same discussion on overclock.net

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-29 18:27:37 »
The news has become fairly well known.

Rumours abound that ancient fan fixes are being used to make FF8 compatible with modern versions of Windows.

Skull_X21

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-06 03:35:03 »
 Well I got some version called FF8 extended version and today tried it on win98se to which it said it would only run on windows nt 5.1  I have an older laptop an ibm thinkpad x21 and its from 99' so I was planning to run ff8 on it for improved performance. Guess not. I will sometime try and get the older version on ff that works on 98. Because of my graphics card only working with software rendering

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-06 04:33:35 »
That would be pretty sick if they release FF7 on steam. Kinda like how ID released the old Quakes there, it'd be a nice chance to show people the PC version, and a good way to spread FF7's mods around.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-06 06:53:00 »
Well I got some version called FF8 extended version and today tried it on win98se to which it said it would only run on windows nt 5.1  I have an older laptop an ibm thinkpad x21 and its from 99' so I was planning to run ff8 on it for improved performance. Guess not. I will sometime try and get the older version on ff that works on 98. Because of my graphics card only working with software rendering

sounds like some pirated version.. like ultima edition of ff7 i guess

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-06 12:10:30 »
Yeah, there's nothing on Ebay or Amazon for a FFVIII Reloaded or Extended edition, although searches do reveal a pirated DVD version of FFVIII.

Skull_X21

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-06 14:09:02 »
 Yup thats it, I downloaded it and burnt iso to dvd. Its good for just playing it if you dont have nothing else, but to me it would seem the original would perform better due to it not requiring alot to run. Downloading those iso's can be tricky. You have to read the info and really trust who and where its coming from. They could even trick you and give you the pxe version instead.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-06 16:10:46 »
Yup thats it, I downloaded it and burnt iso to dvd. Its good for just playing it if you dont have nothing else, but to me it would seem the original would perform better due to it not requiring alot to run. Downloading those iso's can be tricky. You have to read the info and really trust who and where its coming from. They could even trick you and give you the pxe version instead.

You know we don't support pirated software here right?

Skull_X21

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-06 16:51:03 »
 Ya I'll be looking for the real version soon. I didnt know it was a pirated version cuz they showd the cover of it and i guess it was a fake. It said it was made by EA games.  I take it the real version will work on 98se, I gotta do something cuz this version takes up too much space.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-06 20:42:54 »
LMAO.

Dude, he doesnt mean just the file you have already downlaoded and burned. He means ALL files that you download instead of pay for. My suggestion to you is edit your post before you get a pirate avatar....

Dont be a pirate my friend...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-06 22:01:48 »
I didnt know it was a pirated version
You downloaded it without paying for it, so by definition it's pirated. And we do not support pirated copies here:

We Do Not Condone Software Piracy

Asking where to get illegal software or cracks will not be tolerated. Asking for support for the Ultima Edition or any other pirated version of the game will not be tolerated. Any discussion regarding pirated software is an immediate warning. Assisting people that use pirated software is also forbidden.

Even if you'd downloaded a complete 1:1 copy of the game rather than a butchered one, we wouldn't support it because it's illegally downloaded. We only provide support for legally purchased copies of the game here.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-09 23:11:38 »
I don't really understand why there is so much hate against the FFVII PC port. Sure it could have been better but calling it abysmal sounds pretty harash. There were LOTS of games back then that couldn't run at any higher resolution than 640x480 and MIDI wasn't that uncommmon either. Crashes? Sure there were some, but that's something common even nowadays (and back on the day, with Windows 95/98 running on the background, what else could you realistically expect?). Compatibility probelms? Hell yes, but that's also extremely common ever since Windows XP became mainstream (and it only gets worse with every new version). And with all the job done by the commutnity, it works just great even on Windows 7 x64, an OS that can't even handle games from 2003 such as Beyond Good and Evil (due to a friggin incompatibility with the installer). I'd be glad if the guys at Square realized it's stupid trying to fix a game that it's already completly fixed. Is it that hard for them to give proper credit to the people around here and just use their work?

All in all, I'd definitely get this on Steam if they released it. But yeah, doesn't look like it's gonna happen, ever.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-09 23:27:15 »
The PC port gets hate because so much of it was done in a roundabout and not very fixable way, because it needed a day one patch just to work right on many 1998 video cards, because the videos were horribly compressed and not up to what Windows could do, because the minigames had no frame limiter, because Eidos decided to make Vincent into a ballerina, because the game needed a patch to be playable on laptops, etc.

It was an extremely sloppy port, and that's all there is to it.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-10 00:07:59 »
It worked for any video card in software renderer mode. There were games released back then that relied exclusively on Glide (such as the demo version of FF7, for example) and thus were out of reach for anyone with an ATI or NVIDIA card. The videos looked horrible, I give you that, and I can't really understand why they actually went for the true motion codec (though if memory serves me right, most videos back then had serious compresion artifacts). The minigames lacked frame limiter but so did many complete games. Vincent dancing like a ballerina was ilarious, but I bet most people haven't been fortunate enough to see that on they whole life. Mapping the default keys to the num pad was a strange decision, but I don't think the guys at Edios ever considered anyone would be playing the game on a lapotop (few people had them and using one of those to play videogames probably wasn't a very wise idea).

Don't get me wrong Covarr, I know they could have done far better. And hell, the game certainly deserved a better job. But I frankly think what we got wasn't very far from what you could expect from most PC games back on 1998.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-11 02:02:51 »
Isn't it only on steam because some of our members run them using steam?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-11 04:11:04 »
No, the steam registry only shows things on their servers, either for download or sale. This includes games, demos, videos, and even unreleased stuff that may still be in testing. Messing with Steam Registry Toolkit is also how it was recently discovered that Sonic Generations is coming to PC.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-11 09:11:05 »
Ah sonic generations, there's a game I'm looking forward to playing. Along with Uncharted 3, November is going to be a good month.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-11 19:10:22 »
Don't get me wrong Covarr, I know they could have done far better. And hell, the game certainly deserved a better job. But I frankly think what we got wasn't very far from what you could expect from most PC games back on 1998.

I agree, and plus it didn't really get much hate from reviews of the PC port, it got around 8.5 - 9 in a lot of places when the PC version came out.

They could have fixed a lot of things, yes, but those glitches Covarr listed, are only a handful compared to how many glitches and bugs ports usually have today.