Author Topic: Status defense breaking inflictions require status breaking removal  (Read 3191 times)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
I just found this out by accident
When [Character] is immune to [specific status] ( doesn't matter if it's effect materia or accessory or armor )
and something inflicts [specific] status on [character] then that status can never be cured unless the removal method, Item or Attack, also breaks status defense.

An example:
Cloud and Tifa fight Enemy A. Both are immune to silence.
Enemy A first inflicts silence on Tifa. This silence cannot be healed by regular methods. It even carries over through death. killing Tifa and resurecting her will still leave her with silence. Only an attack or item that breaks status defense and removes silence ( or similarly, an attack that causes silence, breaks status defense but is absorbed by Tifa via element ) can successfully remove it.

I haven't tested if status breaking alliments can be cured if the character is not immune.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Another workaround is, if a particular encounter has a creature inflict a status through a script, build a battle AI script to intercept actions with curative items and manually remove the status. The typical script would be counter:preTurn.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Another workaround is, if a particular encounter has a creature inflict a status through a script, build a battle AI script to intercept actions with curative items and manually remove the status. The typical script would be counter:preTurn.

is there even an enemy that does this outside of imprisoned? I can't think of any
and I'm not good enough at AI to do stuff like that

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
This bug has existed in previous iterations of Final Fantasy. Maybe even into FFIX, but not XII. I first saw this case in FFVI when I equipped a poison ring (or whatever it's called in FF3US) on a poisoned character out of battle thinking it would heal. It didn't, but then the antidot spell didn't either. It was explained to me years later.

IIRC, technically any attacks that contain status effects check against immunities first. If the target is immune to those then any use of them is removed from the attack. Rather than the target being immune to contracting the effect, the target is immune to the status of that effect changing. It can really open up some lame OP enemies with a lot of "ignore status immunity" attacks inflicting poison on targets that have ribbons equipped.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
well, you're right about the OP mobs.
but not in ff7 because well, yeah, with mods you can give status defense breaking removal attacks too