Author Topic: .  (Read 164824 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake is HAPPENING!!!
« Reply #25 on: 2015-06-16 05:43:42 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:20:52 by dkma841 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #26 on: 2015-06-16 06:07:48 »
My jury's going to be out on this one for a while. I completely agree it needed a remake, but unless they add lots of new content it's going to feel short and small next to legit 80+ hour JRPGs. The WR for FFVII without the Yuffie Glitch is under 7 hours. Yes, that is literally blazing through and weeks of optimizing segments, but still a short game.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2015-06-16 06:12:44 »
L.Spiro has shine through already that they are working on something great he can't tell us.

I dislike the decision to use the AC or Dessidia 2015 style. I hope they will use the old camera style to keep a little bit the feeling of the original at last but as I knew Japanese devs they will go insane create a super 3rd person action game...

My fear is that they will split the game into three. There is simply to less time until 2017 for the whole game and it's the best way to milk the fans.

If it does then I could care less tbh, not interested in modding a perfectly fine current gen good looking game. The original FF7 definitely needed mods but this? Not really so still getting it for ps4 can't wait

I could imagine that a part of the fans isn't pleased how SE is changing the story again and making the game to another Flat Fantasy title.
So a 'back to the roots' mod seems probably as a good idea.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #28 on: 2015-06-16 06:31:00 »
My fear is that they will split the game into three. There is simply to less time until 2017 for the whole game and it's the best way to milk the fans.
Soooooo you're afraid they'll do something they've already done?

FF7:BC
FF7:CC
FF7
FF7:DoC

You want MORE milk?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #29 on: 2015-06-16 06:59:47 »
Oh God... let's hope it works well for all us fans! :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2015-06-16 07:42:20 »
This will be dogstrawberries, I promise you.  My call is 100% linear gameplay, the return of whiny emo-kid Advent Children Cloud (as opposed to original FF7 crazy Cloud), tie-ins to all the sequels merchandising commercials, super-serious lame-ass voiceovers, no profanity, no on-screen violent deaths of main characters (this seems like an insane call given that Aeris died with a freaking FMV, but nonetheless I'm calling it - and if you need a spoiler tag for that I will beat you), and it will be the most profitable game since the last strawberries-show Square Enix released.  At this point it's all about graphics and the brand, nobody actually cares about the gameplay, the story, or the world-building.

It will be the gayest (gay as in lame) thing the world has ever seen.

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  They'll butcher it with needless silly matrixesque stunts and probably shoe horn characters from the rest of the franchise.  It will be interesting to see how their localization compares to ours, at least.  I've been hoping since the merger that they never get round to it, especially after hearing what Kitase et al keep saying about graphics and time (which is why I am surprised they have even started).  They're already using the crap AC-type stuff.  I can't see them maintaining the original structure at all.

The good news is, the original game will always be here - untouched by their needless meddling.  I'm sorry I am so negative on the issue, but it's really hard to get excited given the incompetence at Square these days, and the fact fans are already running around behaving exactly as Square desires. Square know they can rush out a slapdash game and it will sell like hotcakes, and that is never a good thing if you want to see effort put in.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-16 08:46:42 by DLPB »

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #31 on: 2015-06-16 09:07:25 »
I think personally that the voice speaking is directly pointed at us and completely unrelated to the game. It is a non universe voice so its either aimed at us or possibly an unrelated character re-telling the story to someone. That could even open up a new idea for another sequel depending on who he is and how he's tied in or what he has been doing during it. PS his voice is Jiraiya from naruto. In my books another personal win. Thats epic :D

The Berserker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2015-06-16 09:38:22 »
i really hope this will be what we want from a remake BUT i know they will ruin it
don't really care i am getting it no matter what thought

so yeah that's my take please don't be negative people have some faith maybe just maybe

also that is the original buster sword but WHYYY what about CC so it never happened or what

any ideas?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 2015-06-16 10:14:38 »
The worst part won't be however they remake the game but the fanatics that will surge in number.  You think "this is the best FF" elitism is bad now? Hah. It'll be opinion and troll apocalypse when it's out.

I expect mostly DLC stuff to make an apperance. Yuffie and Vincent get cut and implemented as DLC, there'll maybe be a bestiary, more achievements, maybe a new special mode in the arena (Bare bones, lots of DLC battles), optional side characters that just show up in battle (DLC) some 1-2 new super bosses (DLC) and maybe even a new dungeon (DLC)

Because no matter how hard they muck this up, how hard they milk it with DLC, the fanatics will buy it all up. Even if each new character (battle only) costs 14,99$ (lets assume 19,99$ for vincent and another 19,99$ for yuffie) and the other stuff also ranges around 10$ each (new dungeon obviously 19,99$) they will gobble it up. All up. With a big spoon. Cramming it down their own throat until they can't even breathe anymore.

The game itself I just expect a lot of 'modernized' changes. Voice acting, 'updated' personalities, (Removal of Barret and Yuffie date scenes), A teleport function of some kind, (Removal of the old or made from scratch 'new' minigames in the gold saucer), Removal / Made From Scratch Condor minigame, Removal of cross-dressing scenes, Combat alterations to make it more 'modern' such as giving it a FF10-2 combat system, and a few other things.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-06-16 10:24:37 »
Do they even allow VA to be disabled in the options with any of the FFs?  Or are you forced to put up with it?  I can imagine FF7 faring really badly with voice acting - part of the charm with the original is that you imagine what they'll sound like and I really don't think the game will take well to voices.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 2015-06-16 11:15:25 »
You could always mute the game entirely and put on the OST via CDs
Otherwise, you're out of luck, final fantasy games generally don't let you mute voice acting.
Also, unskippable cutscenes that are now 5x as long as before because textboxes are gone and it's all spoken dialogue.

Lifestream sequence? A 2 hour movie.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-06-16 11:18:10 »

Soooooo you're afraid they'll do something they've already done?

FF7:BC
FF7:CC
FF7
FF7:DoC

You want MORE milk?

You have missed the snowboard minigame for mobile...  :evil:

At the time I only can wait and see how good FFXV will be after that I make my prediction. For me is Kitase and Nomura not a good news, even if they have a high part in FF7's development. Statements which say that they are proud how well all the FF7 games do work together let me shiver.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2015-06-16 11:20:31 »
I wish you were wrong, but I am almost certain you're be right.  The designers have no idea what made FF7 good in the first place, so trying to "remake" it is a no-go.  You can see already from that one scene where this is all going.  The irony is the game would be better received, easier to make, and better overall if they just stuck to the original game and updated the engine, translation, prerendered graphics and difficulty.  But no.  Let's have full 3d, voice acting, huge cutscenes and totally lose the charm and grit that the original had.  They might keep the ATB system but that's a big MIGHT.  From reading around seems most suckers out there actually want to have crappy slash slash IQ level 1 game play.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-16 11:22:50 by DLPB »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2015-06-16 11:32:47 »
It will be interesting to see how their localization compares to ours, at least.

Wo wo wo ! They never said they would go as far as remaking the localization !  :evil:

More seriously, judging from the trailer, they seem to remake a good part of the narration, which is good IMO. As said, the old version will still be there and if they are going for a remake, it's better if they remake more.
Plus, there is indeed the lifetime issue that NFITC1 pointed. I guess you would still have a "makou reactor portion", a "Shinra portion", a "Temple of the ancients" portion... but they would be totally different in the details.

At least that's what I hope, but I'm not an hard-core fan of FF7 so my point of view is surely missing things.

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2015-06-16 11:36:23 »
Yes, I'll echo some sentiments here. Quite worried about this, I was hoping FF7 remake wouldn't be announced until after FF15 at least. This is too early for me, I was more than happy with just FO4 and Shenmue III. I just hope it doesn't become "Advent Children: The Game" in terms of visual style.. they should be looking to the original as much as possible.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #40 on: 2015-06-16 12:31:14 »
Can someone detail to me the AC-Style you're seeing? I mean, I do recognize Barret's handgun as that, but if I stop the video just right...he doesn't look like rapper Barret with anything else. His hair looks like it's the high top style, his torso and arms are heavily muscled and disproportional, and his jacket is the old school brown leather. The same goes for Cloud's outfit being that of Soldier. Midgar also looks a lot darker than the AC movie, as if its life is being sucked away by the reactors. They also referenced the trains and playground from the original.

I'm just curious on others view of AC-style :)

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2015-06-16 12:46:19 »
Can someone detail to me the AC-Style you're seeing? I mean, I do recognize Barret's handgun as that, but if I stop the video just right...he doesn't look like rapper Barret with anything else. His hair looks like it's the high top style, his torso and arms are heavily muscled and disproportional, and his jacket is the old school brown leather. The same goes for Cloud's outfit being that of Soldier. Midgar also looks a lot darker than the AC movie, as if its life is being sucked away by the reactors. They also referenced the trains and playground from the original.

I'm just curious on others view of AC-style :)
Well for me, I never said it was - I watched the trailer once on my cell phone at an awkward angle, haha. I just hope it has its own visual style compared to what we've been seeing with the FF7 series recently. I'll check out the gameplay videos in more detail.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2015-06-16 13:00:37 »
It doesn't look identical to AC, but it is a massive step away from the design and feel of the original game.  But the worst part is that they will stuff it full of cutscenes that never end.  That, I can do without.  Graphics are still the selling point for most, even though that has sod all to do with good game play or story.  From the very beginning we can already see the thought process for the game.  I'd love to be wrong but I know I'm not going to be. I can see a lot of whinging on the horizon from people who buy it, along with high praise from people who think good graphics make a game.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-16 13:03:02 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #43 on: 2015-06-16 13:08:00 »
If they add the option to skip the Kalm flashback and Cloud's mind scenes it will be a vast improvement. Yes, they're important to the plot, but they just plod on.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2015-06-16 13:41:33 »
I think that when people say it looks like AC, it's because of the way the style leans towards photo-realism rather than the typical Japanese cartoon/manga/anime style of the original game, and I have to say I agree.

Personally, I find that worrisome, because while that style works within the narrative of  AC (because AC only contains locations and characters that lend themselves to that style) - the original game contains lots of strange characters, locations, enemies, slap-stick humor, and narrative quirks that would be extremely jarring against a photo-realistic style - which means that they'll probably be removed for the sake of cohesion with the new style. And that, IMO, might stop this from being a remake that a lot of the original fans will enjoy.

Now @topic in general -
I am not necessarily against a remake that steps more in the direction of what a lot of people would consider a "reboot" if it had happened it the world of comics etc. - after all, we already have the original, and I am not sure that I need nor necessarily want a remake that's simply an upgraded version of the original (I still can, and still do enjoy the original as is - and play it regularly in either case).

However because it's a remake I am still going to be, consciously or not, comparing it to the original to see how it stands up - and to be honest, that might hamper my experience of it. Also, even if I'm not sure if I want such a remake now, I might end up wanting it once I see how this turns out.

FF7 was, to my mind, essentially a 90's anime in game format. Everything from the art-style, to the story-telling, to the music screams mid-90's
unashamed, unabashed and tacky glory. That's what made the game great to my mind. Non of that posturing Iphone, Tron, skinny-jeans, hipster, PC bullshit that passes for "cool" these days and have been the dominant art-direction in pretty much everything from MTV music videos to prime-time television since the somewhere around the later half of the 00's.
Personally, I am sick and tired of everything looking like it's been produced by the same people - everything looks and feels like it's been set
in a parallel universe that is the result of a fusion of the Matrix, MGS4, Advent Children, and then presented as if it's being marketed by fucking Apple.

FF7 was a game that had drunks shitting in toilets asking for medicine, drug-addicts, bordellos, bright neon-colors, people randomly getting hit by trucks during combat, cross-dressing, slap-fights, and brightly colored chocobos raced through a track that looked like it was designed by a person on a cocktail of crystal meth and LSD. It also poked fun at strange body-types, flirted with portrayals of womanizing characters, depicted smoking and alcohol consumption all willy-nilly, while smashing physically impossible architectural structures from completely different time-periods and countries together at alarming rates.
In short - FF7 didn't give a flying fuck about anything except being this over-the-top, trippy ride through conventional FF thrown through a blender of anime and 90's pop-culture and political issues.
That's what made the game what it was - it also something that probably won't work in the modern market with the new generation of gamers, despite the fact that the removal of if it also probably what will be seen as shitting all over the original fans, and make the game feel nothing like the original.

The optimal FF7 simply can't be made anymore. It was a product of its time, for the people of its time. People who missed it back then, will probably never really get it anyways, and making a remake in a way that is approachable to the new generations will inevitably compromise the entire soul of the game.

So, let's be realistic and call it what it probably is - FF15 in an FF7 coat. It's probably being made in the same engine - it might even share a lot of the assets (I always found it peculiar how so many of the characters in the original Versus 13 trailers looked exactly like members of the
FF7 cast, but that might have been a coincidence).
Sure, that might be a good game in its own right, and I might even enjoy it if I go into it like that. But even just based on this trailer alone I can pretty much guarantee that this isn't going to be much like the original in any regard except for in broad strokes.

I'm still looking forward to it though. Because even in knowing that this isn't going to be "my FF7", it's going to be "a FF7", and to be honest - that's enough at this point.
I've waited what? 18 years for this? People seem to think that if they screw up now, that's unforgivable - but I am the other way around. Given the change in the times, and all the time that has passed since the original release and the impact that has had on both the producers/devs, and the fans of the franchise, they can't really succeed in my opinion.
I expect them to fail somewhat, and I am okay with that because instead of going into it expecting "my FF7", I'll go into it expecting a new FF7 and try to enjoy it for what it is.
It might fail at this as well, but that's the metric I am going to judge it by, and I'll make that judgement when I play it - not before.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2015-06-16 13:45:38 »
If they add the option to skip the Kalm flashback and Cloud's mind scenes it will be a vast improvement. Yes, they're important to the plot, but they just plod on.

I've got skips for both of those scenes in NT :I

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2015-06-16 16:15:58 »
Y'know, I was really worried about this at first, but something was pointed out to me: Square Enix has a surprisingly good track record for remakes. FF4DS (and later iOS, Android, and PC) had awful graphics and atrocious voice acting, but it was absolutely true to the original in gameplay and story. They made balance changes, but at its heart it was still clearly FF4. FF1 and 2 have been remade several times, and all of these remakes have been well beyond than satisfactory. The FF6 remake for mobile has terrible art and serious technical issues with scaling and tiling, but it also gets the story and gameplay right.

As strawberries as the company has been with spinoffs, direct sequels, and new games in all of their franchises, they simply do not have a history of messing up the gameplay or story in remakes. The closest they ever came to that was FF3 DS, where the added a story because the original didn't even have one. It would be out of character for them to change it; their usual story/gameplay awfulness has been thus far never hurt a single remake they've made.

I legitimately don't think they understand what people liked about FF7 or why it was good, but I don't think that'll be an issue. For the last decade or so, the company has done nothing but "play it safe" wherever they can. That's why those awful FFXIII sequels exist; the first one was profitable, so they built on that. That's why their most unique product in years was Bravely Default, a low-budget 3DS game; if it didn't succeed, it wouldn't be a huge loss. The way to play it safe with this remake is to give fans a remake, not a tie-in product to the compilation. They know that, and as long as they don't give Nomura and Nojima free reign to do whatever they want, we probably have nothing to worry about.

They don't WANT to risk changing it, as that would be more work (and therefore more money) than doing it right, and has a good chance of printing them less money. That's not a creative decision, it's a business decision, and especially after the piss-poor market performance of Lightning Returns, there's just no way they would come to any other conclusion.

Edit: This scene is going to be delightfully cringey and painful in HD. I can't wait to see audience reactions.

KIAS

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-06-16 16:30:47 »
I cant believe it is actually happening.. i've waited for soo long  :o I just hope they'll dont change too much things of the original. Anyways, i think i have to buy a PS4  :mrgreen:

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2015-06-16 17:36:30 »
I'm still pinching myself, this is too good to be true... Also Shenmue 3. wtf...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2015-06-16 17:36:53 »
They just announced the PC version is being ported to iOS. Wtf