Author Topic: Steam Controller Functionality  (Read 2749 times)

Iecerint

• View Profile
Steam Controller Functionality
« on: 2020-04-21 21:09:41 »
I have not been able to find an answer to this question using the search function. Please let me know if the problem is answered elsewhere.

I have tried without success to get 7th Heaven/New threat to work with a steam controller.

Using the Game Launcher/Controls GUI, one preset (NoNumpad + Std Gamepad) seems to almost work. OK maps correctly, and I can move with the analog stick. However, Menu is not mapped correctly, so I am unable to open the menu unless I use the keyboard (right-shift). Changing the in-game controls does not seem to have any effect on the out of game controls (which I think is the intended function of GameLauncher, so that part makes sense, I guess). This does make it hard to troubleshoot re-mapping the keys, because I can't tell what the various keys on the steam controller are being auto-mapped to.

I am using all the default mods except for ProtomanZxAdvent's Mod Compilation, cmh175 avatars, cmh FMV pack, and ESUI Controller Addon (the latter because I am using Enhanced Stock). (Those mods didn't seem to work with New Threat.)

Thanks for any troubleshooting advice you can offer. :)

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Re: Steam Controller Functionality
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-22 01:44:44 »
Steam controllers are a rarity and I'd imagine they have some really stupid mappings.

1. You can always know what a preset's buttons are (in 7h>Settings>Game Launcher>Controls) by selecting it, going into the game, the go into the controller config menu. You will see all keys/buttons that are set by that preset.

2. If you want to make your own preset, go into the game, change your controls in the game, exit the menu. Switch to 7H, go to the previously mentioned setting/section and click the Floppy Disk icon next to Controls. This will save/import your keys/buttons to a new preset that you name yourself.

3. I'm not familiar with the Steam controller, but if there's anything not directly supported in the game (not detected when you try to map a button) then you will need to map buttons to keyboard keys using a 3rd party remapping program like AntiMicro. Be sure to run it as administrator. Also set your preferred gamepad device in Control Panel.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-22 02:27:18 »
you will need to map buttons to keyboard keys using a 3rd party remapping program like AntiMicro.

you can do this with a steam controller (or ps4, xbox, switch) through steam, but i need to know more to tell you how to set it up (not familiar with 7thheaven and what it does to possibly bypass steam)

this question is for anyone that knows, if you are logged onto steam, and run 7thheaven and then launch ff7, does steam say you are playing final fantasy 7, 7th heaven, or does it not even see you are playing a game and your username remains blue? (turns green when you launch a game through it, and says the game)

also do you do the button remapping in 7thheaven program or inside the game's config?  in 7th heaven right?

steam's button mapping is quite extensive, you can make a config with it with not only games but pretty much any program by using steam to launch said program
i use steam to launch my browser when i'm using my tv as the display and am trying to watch videos, and have a special config just for it to pause/play/back/forward/etc ( works with steam link too ;) )
« Last Edit: 2020-04-22 02:42:57 by Orichalcon »

karenjr95

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-06-14 15:11:22 »
I found a 3 step solution., hopefully folks find this thread and it helps out. Windows 10 and 7th Heaven 2.0

Step 1, provide Highest Privileges to steam through the Task Scheduler, a quick google search will tell you how to execute with a shortcut as well. https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/run-uac-restricted-programs-without-the-uac-prompt/

Step 2, Go into 7th Heaven and create a profile.

Step 3, Add your non-steam 7th Heaven application to steam library and go to advanced launch options in steam. Then, type this in the box: "7th Heaven.exe" /PROFILE:[Name of your profile] /LAUNCH /QUIT

Then, hitting play will auto-load the launcher, with overlay permissions for steam. You should be able to find all other minute instructions here http://7thheaven.rocks/.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #4 on: 2020-06-16 12:51:08 »
I found a 3 step solution., hopefully folks find this thread and it helps out. Windows 10 and 7th Heaven 2.0

Thanks for sharing!