Author Topic: [FF7PC] Red Werewolf  (Read 210970 times)

Jeet

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Red XIII werewolf mod
« Reply #275 on: 2014-08-05 01:41:14 »
One  cheap advice:

I noticed someone had the same problem as me in this topic, ( i dont remember who exactly thats was a minor issue) the problem was barret 's feets, who was " pointing top" so if u replace barret with another character like cloud, his feet will point down, that was a problem in my mod too, and that look ugly.

I never understand why until i saw this message simply saying that the feets was pointing top(i thought it was a size problem so i mystaken), there is an easy solution for this problem that i just found today, if you want for example :

Cloud in barret's skeleton,even if they have the same number of bones and parts, and their animations fits together, the feets will point down, then you only have to copy CID's feets instead of cloud ( they look very similar but cid's feets are the same direction than barret), and then u 'll have a cloud's model on barret skeleton with "normal feets".

Thats very easy and fast to do. Thats not a necessary advice for this topic, since its seem that you are directly working on barret field model, but it can help people who want to swap barret 's field model with another characters already existing.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #276 on: 2014-08-05 01:46:38 »
One  cheap advice:

I noticed someone had the same problem as me in this topic, ( i dont remember who exactly thats was a minor issue) the problem was barret 's feets, who was " pointing top" so if u replace barret with another character like cloud, his feet will point down, that was a problem in my mod too, and that look ugly.

I never understand why until i saw this message simply saying that the feets was pointing top(i thought it was a size problem so i mystaken), there is an easy solution for this problem that i just found today, if you want for example :

Cloud in barret's skeleton,even if they have the same number of bones and parts, and their animations fits together, the feets will point down, then you only have to copy CID's feets instead of cloud ( they look very similar but cid's feets are the same direction than barret), and then u 'll have a cloud's model on barret skeleton with "normal feets".

Thats very easy and fast to do. Thats not a necessary advice for this topic, since its seem that you are directly working on barret field model, but it can help people who want to swap barret 's field model with another characters already existing.

It's the skeleton. The bones for Cloud's feet stick out (90 angle from his lower leg), while Barret's just go straight down from his lower leg. So if you load one of Cloud's animations with Barret's skeleton the feet will be angled up by 90 degrees (pointing straight up). Just rotate the bone for each foot accordingly and propagate the frame, pretty quick fix.   

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 2014-08-05 06:07:19 »
So I found out what was wrong with the head and why I was unable to place a texture in pcreator... I made the teeth as a separate obj. When I put them in the head a cross section view revealed the rest of the obj inside the head. Apparently pcreator doesn't like that. I had to completely remesh the head/teeth so the inside was hollow. It worked!!! But that took me 4 hours. I hate when I feel like I get very little done. :(

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 2014-08-05 08:38:10 »
That's a minorr setback at best when you consider the sheer progress you made with the assistance of the community, after all, without help, would you have been anywhere near this point even if you had those extra 4 hours?

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 2014-08-05 12:17:06 »
Hell no. Without this community I would have never even thought of this. It would have been nothing but a pipe dream.

Leet

• Active member at other FF7 modding site - PM me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2014-08-05 19:41:53 »
Hi wolfman didnt think this had progressed as much as it has. Ive been looking in the wrong places i guess lol. :wink:

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2014-08-06 06:51:29 »
Hi leet. Ya. I update this one way more. I got a lot done tonight. I got every piece "nubbed" perfectly. So that when the pieces move the really look perfect. Like as the arm bends it reveals an elbow. Lol. Little things like this are really going to help. Tomorrow night I'm going to be able to unwrap all if the textures into one simple map with ease and then be able to import everything into kimera and share the completed battle model.

chasedark

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 2014-08-06 14:04:22 »
Great work out there! I'm still learning how to animate but thanks to Kuroda I now know how to splice models which is essentially all I need for what I wanna do on my private project for now.

Leet

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2014-08-06 15:19:28 »
Yeah i admit rounding the ends of the pieces really help i did it on my clouds upper and lower arms. With the rest i just pulled the centre vertex to form a point so that the parts overlap in the centres. Nubbing each piece will definitely end up with better results though. If you take a look at apz freaks clouds battle model you see the difference it makes. It also helps when animating to to take out to uneven ness in the joints.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2014-08-06 15:30:03 »
Keep in mind if a piece have more then one group splicing will crash Kimera. You need to set all other groups to hidden, which you don't want to splice. If I remember right battle models didn't suffer from that problem, but I'm not sure with this.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 2014-08-06 15:31:03 »
The best practice I've found is to select the verts around an opening you've made, first extrude them out some, and than slightly shrink them in by resizing them. Continue this until you gradually have a nice round numb and the holes nearly filled, then just merge the verts at the center. This will help keep your pieces proportionate when you fill holes, and allow you to make more transitional area if necessary. Generally you want transitional area that will overlap with its connecting pieces, so that the end of each one is touching the joint of the bone it connects to. 

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 2014-08-06 16:05:58 »
what is neat about zBrush in this situation is the combination of the following tools.
Slice - Creates straight line separations through one object. Creates two new objects and makes the edge perfectly straight.
Fill Holes - Puts a face on that edge and interpolates the color information to match
Inflate - A brush that takes a flat surface and extrudes it. You can adjust the focus to make it more cone like or more spherical and everything in between
DynaMesh - Makes the object and new face into one object
Group Visible - Makes object one polygroup. This allows to create UVs based on individual body parts. So Instead of creating each UV and then putting each one together in photoshop, this does it for you.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 2014-08-06 16:14:28 »
what is neat about zBrush in this situation is the combination of the following tools.
Slice - Creates straight line separations through one object. Creates two new objects and makes the edge perfectly straight.
Fill Holes - Puts a face on that edge and interpolates the color information to match
Inflate - A brush that takes a flat surface and extrudes it. You can adjust the focus to make it more cone like or more spherical and everything in between
DynaMesh - Makes the object and new face into one object
Group Visible - Makes object one polygroup. This allows to create UVs based on individual body parts. So Instead of creating each UV and then putting each one together in photoshop, this does it for you.

lol good point. I'm used to doing this in Blender and Maya.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 2014-08-06 16:22:26 »
I do eventually want to learn Maya for animation purposes. I'm wondering if we could put Red Werewolf into a different game so I could use my full res model. :)

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 2014-08-06 16:25:31 »
Smash Brothers Brawl seems pretty easy, I know Rayved did the same with his Cid model. Otherwise Skyrim and Left 4 Dead are good choices.

Leet

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 2014-08-06 17:07:04 »
Hey cmh im glad you described how you fill the holes in your models......i did the exact same thing on the shoulders and elbows of my cloud model. At least i know that im heading in the right direction with my models....the other good side of doing it that way is the texture covers the new geometry automatically so when the vertexs are merged you have a nice finish without remapping UV's.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 2014-08-07 06:19:26 »
Well I'm leaving tomorrow for the weekend. Taking the family on vacation. Everything is pretty much done pre-import. So I have all parts done, extended and colored. All I have to do is map the texture. Which shouldn't take long and then import to kimera. The only thing I need a suggestion on is the dreads. There are not any bones for the dreads. I can either make them static to the head which will cause a lot of clipping. Or I can make them static to the body which will not allow them to move. Or I can recreate them, make them short and attach to the head which will cause very little clipping. Which of the three do you think I should do?

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 2014-08-07 14:14:29 »
I think the head would be best, and should be fine the way they are. It'll be more noticeable if they're attached to the body and not the head. If I remember the Galian Beast's animations there shouldn't be a lot of clipping for the most part, only when it looks directly down (like chin touching chest). And I can adjust it to help reduce clipping otherwise.

This is good news. Let me know when the new uv mapping is done.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 2014-08-07 15:07:37 »
I think I am going to fuse the dreads to the body for the simple reason of them being sooo long and the drape over the body. Hopefully I can get the UV Map done tonight before we leave.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 2014-08-07 15:22:41 »
The Galian Beast doesn't have a separate neck piece, so if they start around the top of the neck and blend in pretty well with the rest of the hair that should work fine than with how they come down and rest against the chest. If there was a dividing piece it wouldn't work as well, so that should be fine actually. 

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 2014-08-07 15:48:26 »
Im almost there cmh. I can taste it. :)

I want to stop and thank everyone for everything they have done for me long the way.
I began this project with only an idea. And now with everyone's help and work it is almost complete.

cmh - You have been helping me since the beginning. everything from which 3D software to us to how nubs should be properly extruded

Leonhart - You've also been here since the beginning. Cheering me along and defending me from people who think a malicious macabre werewolf should have puppy teeth. And I love the gif's too

Kaldarasha - You've been more of the focused one. Letting me know what was and wasn't possible. Very straight forward and direct

Jeet - Created Galiant Beast as a playable battle character, allowing me to cut out a months worth of animation work.

Obesebear - Was the one who warned me of what I was getting myself into and made sure I knew this wasn't going to be a cake walk

Scrat - Gave me additional info on 3D software

Mendelevium - Reminded me not to get caught up in mirroring too much

Obesebear and Sega Chief - The ones who originally told me to use Galiant Beast  back in late June. I wish I would have listened then and found Jeet then as well.

Kuroda - So finally we come to Kuroda. A well seasoned modder who has unbelievable speed and accuracy on modding and a plethora of information to give. His long winded responses became tutorials in themselves and I enjoyed reading every word. His info combined with cmh's tutorial and info a long the way were the only reasons I was able to start and get this to where it is now and for that i am very thankful.

Thanks everyone and if I missed giving credit to someone PM and I'll edit this post. I don't want anyone ever thinking I did this on my own.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-07 15:51:50 by WolfMan »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 2014-08-07 15:51:34 »
The best idea would be to attach it to his body, but clone it up into his head a good ways.  Then also have it attached to his head, and clone it down into his body.  This way any head movement will still seem ok(ish) because they will clip into each other

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 2014-08-07 17:53:53 »
Thanks obesebear. I didn't think of that. I wonder how that would look though from the side when both the chest braids and head braids were visible. Is it possible to replace Galiants head skeleton with Red xiii's? Or is it possible to add bones?

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 2014-08-07 17:58:12 »
Thanks obesebear. I didn't think of that. I wonder how that would look though from the side when both the chest braids and head braids were visible. Is it possible to replace Galiants head skeleton with Red xiii's? Or is it possible to add bones?

It's not a bad idea, I'm just not sure how noticeable it'll be since the braids start at the back of the head and go down the sides of the neck. I can play with this idea later though when the models imported in kimera and see how it looks.

No we can only edit the skeletons. I can play with this idea later when the models fully imported and see how it looks.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 2014-08-08 05:59:06 »
Well I got everything done tonight up to the point of importing to kimera. Everything has been tested in pcreator and looks perfect. Only thing left is kimera animations and the field conversion. Ahh so relieved.