Author Topic: Mother wins dead son sperm case  (Read 2575 times)

Jari

Mother wins dead son sperm case
« on: 2007-01-19 19:23:59 »
From BBC. And yes, the story is just as weird as the headline sounds.

The lawyer of an Israeli couple who won the right to use their dead son's sperm to inseminate a woman he never met says the case is a boost for family rights.

The dead man, soldier Keivin Cohen, was killed in the Gaza Strip in 2002.

A court ruled in favour of his parents who had the sperm extracted after his death, although he had not left a will.

Although Mr Cohen, 20, was single and had left no written expression of his desire to become a father, his family claimed that had long been his wish.

The Cohens appealed for volunteers who were willing to be impregnated with the sperm and raise the child.

"It's a dream come true" - Irit Rosenblum, Lawyer

Whose dream?

And... uhm... I don't know what else to say. This is truly bizarre case of "family line must continue" and "mother knows best". While I'm sure that Mr Cohen doesn't have much use for his sperm in his current state, I wonder if he had wanted a random woman to get the moneyshot, so to speak.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
Re: Mother wins dead son sperm case
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-19 23:45:09 »
There is respect for a family for their loss, but there should also be respect for the dead.  You're right, what if he did not want to father a child?  I find it bizarre and sick to do this after his death.  Just shows the importance for everyone to make a will expressing both wishes before and after ones death.

Why not use the father's sperm?  They could have donated his sperm to some woman of child-bearing age.  Would have been much less twisted in my opinion.

Decayrate

• I will be in my LABORATORY
    • View Profile
Re: Mother wins dead son sperm case
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-28 23:03:36 »
They are collectors, thats why!

If the child is born "retarded" then who's goin to take care of that child then? The dead man's family? Or the woman's family? Maybe the dead man would like to keep his child, or not? It's a strange place where we live, we take sperm from the dead :D

I bet they took the sperm when it was warm, or els?