Author Topic: Question About Loveless (editor)  (Read 4774 times)

Split

Question About Loveless (editor)
« on: 2009-02-05 02:48:11 »
Ok, So! Lately I've been interested in fixing some of the typos and weird sentence structure in the game, so I downloaded the Loveless in-game text editor. However, this proved to be a more daunting task than I thought it would...

There are over 50,000 total texts (a "text" being a speech bubble, which could contain anything from a notification that you got an item, or a multi-page monologue from Cloud). That's not the true problem, though. The REAL issue is that of these texts, MANY are repeats. Each one is organized into its own file found in the flevel.lgp archive, and the game has repeats of entire files! A repeat will have the same exact name, except for a different number, and the same texts.

The game uses only ONE of each, and it's not always the first one. If you edit one that it doesn't use, it doesn't affect anything in-game. So onto my question: does anyone have a list of which of these files the game actually uses?? Or maybe know where I could find one?

I've been looking forward to doing this kind of editing for a while. I'll do anything to know which ones are valid! I'll suck your dick...most things. I'll pay you...no I wouldn't be able to. lol...But really, I would be extremely grateful  :-D

EDIT: Just realized I don't really need to explain the concept of texts to anyone on this site, particularly the ones who will have a solution to my query...
« Last Edit: 2009-02-05 02:50:03 by Split »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Question About Loveless (editor)
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-05 09:27:41 »
If you're talking about the text that repeats in many files, then loveless will show you how many times that specific text is used in the script (the small numbers next to "Text x" strings). If it's greyed out, then it doesn't have any references in the currently viewed file.

But, if
does anyone have a list of which of these files the game actually uses?? Or maybe know where I could find one?
actually means that there are multiple files for the same location, and you don't know how to figure out which one the game uses, please, post some names of such files.

Split

« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-05 19:41:13 »
Okay, here are some examples:

anfrst_1
anfrst_2
anfrst_3
anfrst_4

all of these contain the same exact 72 texts, but the game only actually uses one of those files, so you have to edit the one it uses for your changes to show up.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-05 20:21:14 »
anfrst_1
anfrst_2
anfrst_3
anfrst_4

all of these contain the same exact 72 texts, but the game only actually uses one of those files, so you have to edit the one it uses for your changes to show up.
See my previous post. There are 72 texts, but the script contains the referenes to only some them (and Loveless do show you the used ones). According to Loveless, anfrst_1 uses 4 of those texts, _2 uses 2 of those texts, _3 uses 4 of those texts and _4 uses no text at all.

Split

« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-05 20:43:19 »
hmmm I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't see anything greyed out, or any small numbers next to the Text strings. Please explain...

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-02-05 20:58:22 »
hmmm I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't see anything greyed out, or any small numbers next to the Text strings. Please explain...

Split

« Reply #6 on: 2009-02-05 21:14:23 »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahaha no wonder I wasn't noticing them...I have Loveless 2.4!! It doesn't have any of those things! Jeez now there's the problem...wow that helps so much. Thanks for stickin with me man. I'll learn lol

Split

« Reply #7 on: 2009-02-05 21:17:19 »
EDIT: oops sorry double post
« Last Edit: 2009-02-05 21:18:58 by Split »