Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Source  (Read 11079 times)

Cazador

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 7 Source
« on: 2007-02-12 23:18:40 »
I am currently in a project to bring Final Fantasy 7 onto the Source engine. For those of you that don't know, it's what Half-life 2 and Counter Strike: Source run on.

We are looking for sound artists, modelers, but most importantly programmers.

anyone who interested can PM me, or just respond here

thanks!  :-D

Synergy Blades

Re: Final Fantasy 7 Source
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-12 23:31:22 »
Don't let the Intellectual Property issues associated with such a vast undertaking, or the fact that S.E has said they'd need a team of 200 and two years, working with original source material, to bring it up-to-date, put you off.  :?

Simply put: 1) an amateur dev. team on an astronomically massive project 2) with the potential for Square Enix's lawyers breathing down your neck... just don't bother, either of these issues will mean this won't get out of the gates.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-13 00:48:36 »
ChronTrigger Resurection ... is an example of doing this, it was after a Cease and Desist order came out ...
The characters are trademarked that's your first problem, it doesn't matter if you aren't making money with it. 
Although it's entirely possible, to resurect the game and rebuild it etc. this is a massive undertaking.  Unless you have some REALLY clever techniques to improve what the current set has, you are in for a long hual.  200 * 2000 * 2 = 400000 man hours. Now if you have 50 part timers spending 10 hours per week that's 500 man hours per week that means 800 years roughly. Increase to to 500 people part time that goes to 80 years. You still need to manage it as well.  The later is a very important aspect. :)

Cyb

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-02-14 00:48:38 »
I completely understand what you two mean. But hey, I have some free time so, why not!  :-D

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 2007-02-14 01:27:54 »
I don't see the benifit of what you are working on. As a "content creator" myself, I can tell you that making your own thing from scratch is about a million times more rewarding than borrowing someone elses, who may or not be pleased that you are doing so.

We just don't want to see you waste your time.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-02-14 09:32:50 »
An RPG in a FPS engine.

No offense, there is no possible way you could scripy any encounters, materia, story, ANYTHING in Source, its not possible.

Jari

« Reply #6 on: 2007-02-14 09:43:15 »
I seem to recall Half-Life 2 having a story. :P

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-02-14 09:59:32 »
...as well as scripted sequences. And you can program your own interface etc.
There are already some RPG-like games out there with the source enigne, e.g. "Vampire Masquerade - Bloodlines".

Actually, it is possible to achieve this with the source engine, but it would be a huge amount of work.

NeXaR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-02-14 14:42:58 »
But Bloodlines is an action RPG, I don't think the console-type RPGs can be "emulated" accurately (mainly battle system and such)

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-02-14 15:50:04 »
I seem to recall Half-Life 2 having a story. :P

Shush, you know the kind of story I meant Jari >_>

And as stated, VtM:B is a FPSRPG, so agan, I shall say, FF7 can not be ported to Source and still remain anything like the original.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-02-14 19:09:00 »
If this project was to move forward, there would be plenty of work ahead of you.  I have seen projects using the source engine where they displace the camera in a more isometric view.  If you could change the interface to mimic the FF7 battle interface, then you might be getting somewhere.  Possibly map the controls for gamepad use would be nice.  Random encounters and such, not sure how you'd implement that, some sort of spawning I assume.  As James Pond was getting at, that's a lot of work with a high risk of a C&D order.  Nobody here is trying to discourage you, just want you to go into this with your eyes open.

NeXaR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-02-15 03:01:01 »
If you really have the intentions, try to port Before Crisis, that way all could play withouth buying that phone :D

Just kidding ;)

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-02-24 06:49:38 »
It's a giant stretch, as of now I'm just doing the music for it.

so I'm at least getting some practice with audio editing and such  :-P

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-03-01 15:54:34 »
An RPG in a FPS engine.

No offense, there is no possible way you could script any encounters, materia, story, ANYTHING in Source, its not possible.

Ever heard of the Chrono Trigger Remake Project (aka Chrono Trigger: Resurection, a project with the aim to revive Square's Chrono Trigger [SNES/PSX] with 3D Graphics)? They did it all with the Unreal Tournament 2004 Engine, which isn't an FPS, but it sure is hell of hard to implement the CT Battle System into it... at least that's what I think.
Just see the trailer to see how amazing results they got.

Oh, man I cried so much the day they announced the cancellation  :cry:

From what I have seen so far, there are various mods using the Source Engine which are really a lot of work...

Anyways, what I'm trying to point at is that one should never underestimate the power of dedicated fans, that's why I used the example of Chrono Trigger.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-01 18:24:27 by EAngelos89 »

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-03-01 16:05:35 »
... Im not even going to grace that post with a proper reply.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-03-20 10:05:19 »
Look, the guy said he had some free time.

FREE TIME!

If he has some free time, he'll definately get it done!

I mean, wtf? ^_^

Jari

« Reply #16 on: 2007-03-20 10:31:52 »
Cane, 24K avatar?

You should know better.

I mean, wtf? :-D

Turc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-03-22 17:36:50 »
I say the guy has a good idea. Every half-life mod back in the day started out as a small insignificant idea, nay-sayers nay-saying left and right. But, if someone could pull of a decent fps style RPG with source, I'd support it all the way. Whether or not it follows in the vein of FF7, originality is usually welcome in all that is good in the video game world.

Also, Jari, why go off-topic with a post about some guy's avater? I know, the topic is off-topic in itself, but... ftw?

Jari

« Reply #18 on: 2007-03-22 19:34:32 »
Let's see... there was a reason... what was it...

Oh, now I remember! Because I'm a moderator, which makes it my business, and gentle reminders in public are often more powerful than sending PMs. Plus, knowing Cane for quite a few years, he's not going to start crying if I point it out in public.

Does that answer your question n00b, or do I have to split this thread? Because before your post it had one off-topic post which was a moderatory in nature, now it has three, out of which two are meta-discussion. Going to the wrong direction, here.

Guspaz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007-06-18 16:25:38 »
An RPG in a FPS engine.

No offense, there is no possible way you could scripy any encounters, materia, story, ANYTHING in Source, its not possible.

That, quite frankly, is BS. Source is a *game* engine, not an FPS engine. The FPS aspect is merely an artifact of the game code (which is available to modders).

You can implement any type of game you want in Source, or most moddable games. RTS, FPS, TPS, RPG, you name it.

There is absolutely zero reason you couldn't implement a mod for Source that featured a field module, a battle module, a worldmap module, and so on. Crazier things have been done with engines LESS flexible than Source.

From what you're describing, you seem to think that the most you can do with Source is make custom maps, when in fact Valve gives you access to the entire game (not engine) source code, allowing you to do whatever you want with the engine. Something like FF7 from a technical perspective is actually probably less effort than some of the crazy things other mod teams have done.

That said, the original proposition (remaking FF7 using the Source engine) is stupid, since it'd be shut down in no time flat. But there's nothing stopping anybody from creating a mod that is essentially the exact same thing as FF7, gameplay-wise.

I think the confusion stems from what a "mod" means for FF7 (usually just replacing media or manually tweaking the binary) compared to what it means for an engine like Source (having the entire game's (not engine) sourcecode available to play with).

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the flexibility to do this sort of thing has probably existed as far back as Quake 2, although the further back you go the less suited the engine would have been for moving beyond the FPS genre. But modern engines such as Source and Unreal are regularly used by both modders and commercial teams for non-FPS games.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007-06-18 16:35:38 »
Yes. Quite.

May I also suggest you read the rules, particularly the one about topic resurrection, which you just broke.

Guspaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-06-20 01:27:24 »
Combine the first part of the rule (something worthwhile to add, which I do think I did, since it wouldn't do do have misconceptions about the engine flying about), and the fact that at the time the topic in question was still on the front page of the forum (which isn't part of the rule, but runs more in the "common sense" department), I don't think I did break it, no.

If you think my post would have been more worthwhile had I added MORE detail, I would be happy to do a bit of research and cite several examples of mods for engines with equivalent or less flexibility than Source that make change of a similar level of complexity. However, I think my post would qualify as "worthwhile" without such extra content.

ssj4maiko

« Reply #22 on: 2007-06-22 20:20:13 »
An RPG in a FPS engine.

No offense, there is no possible way you could script any encounters, materia, story, ANYTHING in Source, its not possible.

Ever heard of the Chrono Trigger Remake Project (aka Chrono Trigger: Resurection, a project with the aim to revive Square's Chrono Trigger [SNES/PSX] with 3D Graphics)? They did it all with the Unreal Tournament 2004 Engine, which isn't an FPS, but it sure is hell of hard to implement the CT Battle System into it... at least that's what I think.
Just see the trailer to see how amazing results they got.

Oh, man I cried so much the day they announced the cancellation  :cry:

From what I have seen so far, there are various mods using the Source Engine which are really a lot of work...

Anyways, what I'm trying to point at is that one should never underestimate the power of dedicated fans, that's why I used the example of Chrono Trigger.
And I remember that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Matt's Hooffman Pro BMX and Spiderman 2, all for PSX, also used the same engine, and I think Spiderman 2 is hell different to the other 2.

But still, I don't see the reason for this project, as already said, it's an RPG, why would we need some revolutionary source code for gravity if it's all scripted.

It's like creating an Pacman that uses all the Power from Earth Simulator (That Big PC from Japan).