Author Topic: Spell animation structure and damage printout (With Screenshots in 1st post!)  (Read 16235 times)

comet2

• View Profile
EDIT: To find out how to edit the memory and actually use the spell... go to reply #18.

casting the spell...

Ice graphic changed to an avalanche of snow.

Ice graphic changed to blue dragonball-z type energy beam.

Ice graphic changed to yellow dragonball-z type energy beam.

Original message below.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I have been experimenting with the # of hits part of each attack type (i.e. comet2=4, omnislash=15 etc). What I've realized is that for most spells, this value does not actually change the number of hits... rather, it is used by the computer to guage when a death animation should be played.

What I mean is that i.e. for Omnislash, even if you have dealt enough damage to take all the monsters' hp away by blow 4, the computer will not display the death animation until you have struck the 15th and last blow. This makes for strange situations when I try to increase the no. of hits for omnislash to, say, 18-while animation sequence for Omnislash only allows for 15 blows, the computer is still waiting for the 18th blow even after omnislash is done. As a result, the battle models of the monster is still there, alive and breathing, even as the victory animation sequence is played by the characters.

This is the case for most attacks-if you try to increase the 'no. of hits' category in the spell bytes/memory addresses, all you get is an untargetable 3d model of the monsters that persist up till the very end of battle.

So far, I've only found one instance where I could actually increase the no. of damage printouts and have the spell work correctly with all the animations. When I increase the comet2 no. of hits from 4 to 6, the animation drops 6 comets on the field instead of the normal 4, and it correctly randomly targets 6 opponents. Any more than that, however (even 7) and the 'undying 3d model' bug rears its ugly head (only 6 of the 7 hits are actually dealt, and then the animation sequence ends before any more comets can fall on the field or damage printouts can be done)

This brings me to another point. It seems like there is a 'flag' that directs the game to end the sequence after a set amount of time-meaning that to change the number of hits for most attacks, we would not only have to edit the number of hits but also this 'animation end' flag as well.

The point of my post is this. I'm sure other hacking masters have experimented with this before... How many of the various attacks are flexible enough that some editing of the number of hits can be done?
i.e.
1. comet2-original 4 hits, animation and everything could work up to 6 hits
2. ?? others?

Some potential candidates, I feel, could be angermax, Highwind etc-except that the damage prints out way too fast for my eyes...

Ugh. I hate typing while I'm sick.. I'm rambling too much already.

Your help/guidance will be appreciated.

-Comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 20:05:26 by comet2 »

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Re: Spell animation structure and damage printout
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-14 00:33:06 »
You could try angermax.  It hits so fast that you could probably get away with adding an extra several hits.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-14 01:16:55 »
Who cares regardless of whether or not you can actually see the damage printout of either Angermax or Highwind?

If the damage is in the thousands, then you'll recognize it after the sequence. Only problem is, you'd have to test out each increasing hit to make sure it works; otherwise, you'll probably get the empty 3D model problem-thing.

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-14 17:34:21 »
Hello,

I've tested Angermax, Tifa's Limit breaks, and a variety of other limit breaks and spells-so far, the only one I managed to find a way to increase hits other than comet2 was Highwind.

It's strange-I can hit up to 81 times... if I try to make the spell hit any more than that (even just 1 more, as in 82), the game crashes. I tested by having the spell have a strength of 1 but with auto crit and ignore def to minimize the randomness, and then sensed the monster after each hit (my test subject was 'sea worm'-always travels alone). Each of 81 hits connected.

Summary:
1. Comet2 can be raised up to 6 hits
2. Highwind can be raised up to 81 hits
3. Angermax, most other limit breaks and spells-increasing hits either end up with the empty 3d model problem or crashes the game.

Thank you.
-Comet2

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-16 01:25:41 »
More Questions...

Total possible spell damage is currently limited by the animation and timing of damage calculations of these various attacks.

As a result, the key to obtaining the maximum damage possible for any attack may be to force the specific attack to use animations that have multiple calculations, such as KotR (13 calculations), Highwind (up to 81 calculations), and comet2 (up to 6 calculations).

(This came about during my quest to make KotR a quadra-magic-able attack-I was able to change other quadra-magic-able summoning spells (I used Bahamut Zero) to use KotR as their attacks, allowing my characters to be able to attack 13*8=101 times per turn)

I've been able to change the animations of different attacks within their specific category, whether it is a magical, summoning, or limit breaks-i.e. from 'ultima' to 'comet2', 'angermax' to 'omnislash' etc...  However, I have not been able to change the animations across categories, such as using KotR as the animation for omnislash, using Highwind as the animation for Fire2, etc.

As a result, the question I'm asking is this: Is there any way I can make this possible-force a magic spell to use animations for limit breaks, or even force a magic spell to use animations of summons etc?

Your answers to this will be sincerely appreciated...

-comet2

Notes:
Current damage rank
1. Quadra-Magic-able KotR=9999*13*4*2=1,039,896
2. 81 attack Highwind=9999*81=809,919
3. 6-comet attack comet2=9999*6*4*2=479,952
4. 4-comet attack comet2=319,968
5. w-magic KotR=9999*13*2=259,974

"Ultimate Damage"
-Can be obtained by making either a summon or a magic spell use animation for Highwind, then make it quadra-magic able
9999*81*4*2=6,479,352

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-17 17:05:00 »
Another Update...

I tested these ideas (making other 'types' of spells use different animations i.e. changing the 'ID' of fire to use Highwind's animation ID) by replacing all set of bytes for spells into the same bytes as used by Highwind. The results of these tests showed that I cannot use this method for summoning spells (it would crash on me), but I could indeed use this for magic spells. While it would just use the animation of Bolt and would only display one 'damage' calculation (no matter which spell I replaced, this stayed the same), the 'sense' materia showed me that the full 18 hits did indeed register.

This shows that you can indeed convert one of the magic spells to deal 81 hits of 9999 each, 8 times a turn. I am now trying to find out which byte will allow me to keep the same magic animation, as if there will only be one damage printout, might as well make the spell use animations that are more... I don't know, eye-catching?

Also, I've been thinking how to further increase my damage output, as the game crashes if any spell deals any more than 81 hits. If I can make this spell reflectable, then cast it on a perma-reflect party (through status effect byte set)... I could possibly have a spell that can deal:
9999(damage)*81(number of hits)*4(quadra magic)*2(w-magic)*3(reflect by each member of party)=19,438,056=about 20 million damage in 1 turn.
Because Enemy HP is determined in Scene.bin by 4 bytes, the max HP any enemy can have is 4,294,967,295=about 4 billion HP. It would take 20 hits of the above 'ultimate spell' to down the enemy.

Once I complete the analysis to figure out how to make the spell reflectable and use the appropriate animations, I plan on making Safer*Sephiroth have the HP plus 255 on all stats+absorb all elements and see if I can defeat him.

:D

If anyone out there is still reading my posts... : ( Can I ask for your help on figuring out how to make the spell reflectable?

-Comet2

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-17 17:31:38 »
"Ultimate Damage"
-Can be obtained by making either a summon or a magic spell use animation for Highwind, then make it quadra-magic able
9999*81*4*2=6,479,352

Ultimate damage should come from when you're able to use a spell 16 times via 5x Quadra Magic and W-Magic/W-Summon. Be aware of this particular glitch, if KOTR is Quadra Magic enabled, then you could have the following: W-Summon, Quadra Magic + KOTR, Quadra Magic + KOTR, Quadra Magic + KOTR, Quadra Magic + KOTR, Quadra Magic + KOTR.

That's 9999 * 13 * 8 * 2 = 2 079 792 for KOTR. If you wanted to make it use the Highwind animation, then it'd be: 9999 * 81 * 8 * 2 = 12 958 704 (double of what your original guess was).

I'll explain the Quadra Magic thing, don't know if it'll help with the calculations (these are were made by observation on the PSX original NA version of FF7).

I'll make this a little easier for one of the things I'm going to use instead of writing out/copy and pasting Quadra Magic + (Spell) all the time.

- 1 Set = 1 set of "Quadra Magic + (Spell)"

- #Of times cast = the number of times the spell is actually cast during the battle when you actually cast the spell (duh).

- #Of times shown (Level XX) = the number of times that the spell is shown cast on the magic screen when you go Menu (Triangle) > Materia > Check > Magic > Select Spell. Then on the right hand side of that screen, there's a ratio that'll look something like "4x: 10x". The 4x represents the actual Quadra Magic materia. It is there by default and will never change. Then the number on the right side of the ratio is the number of times that the spell is ~shown~ to be cast, this doesn't actually tell you how many times the spell is cast in the actual battle (providing that your enemy survives the attack)

The "Level xx" represents the level that Quadra Magic is at. Different levels show different numbers. You should take notice to the pattern as the levels go up.

Chart:
--------------
=>1 Set (of Quadra Magic + (Spell))

# Of times shown (Level 1): 4 (usable once during battle)

# Of times shown (Level 2): 4 (usable twice during battle)

# Of times shown (Level 3): 4 (useable three times during battle)

# Of times shown (Level 4): 4 (usable four times during battle)

# Of times shown (Level 5): 4 (usable an unlimited amount of times during battle)

# Of times cast: 4

=>2 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 5

# Of times shown (Level 2): 6

# Of times shown (Level 3): 7

# Of times shown (Level 4): 8

# Of times shown (Level 5): 9

# Of times cast: 5

=>3 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 10

# Of times shown (Level 2): 11

# Of times shown (Level 3): 12

# Of times shown (Level 4): 13

# Of times shown (Level 5): 14

# Of times cast: 6

=>4 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 15

# Of times shown (Level 2): 16

# Of times shown (Level 3): 17

# Of times shown (Level 4): 18

# Of times shown (Level 5): 19

# Of times cast: 7

=>5 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 20

# Of times shown (Level 2): 21

# Of times shown (Level 3): 22

# Of times shown (Level 4): 23

# Of times shown (Level 5): 24

# Of times cast: 8

=>6 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 25

# Of times shown (Level 2): 26

# Of times shown (Level 3): 27

# Of times shown (Level 4): 28

# Of times shown (Level 5): 29

=>7 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 30

# Of times shown (Level 2): 31

# Of times shown (Level 3): 32

# Of times shown (Level 4): 33

# Of times shown (Level 5): 34

=>8 Sets

# Of times shown (Level 1): 35

# Of times shown (Level 2): 36

# Of times shown (Level 3): 36

# Of times shown (Level 4): 36

# Of times shown (Level 5): 36

Then just double anything with W-Summon or W-Magic.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about about that reflect thing... remember you can only reflect a spell 4 times then reflect is gone. You can't reflect summons either.

I also forgot about the thing you can do, use Mime + Quadra Magic and Counter + Mime instead and you can actually Mime Highwind 16 times providing it was the last move you did. Have a couple of Hero Drinks and you've got something.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-17 17:51:27 by Matt »

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-17 20:21:29 »
Hmm. It looks like this can be further enhanced then, using the quadra magic method...
It might as well be 5 pairs of Quadra magic+master magic and one W-magic. Note that each additional copy of quadra magic only allows one extra casting up to 8 casts, meaning that this setup will give 2*(4+4)=16 casts per turn.
Permanent reflect can be gained either by putting the reflect ring on the character or holding the value that controls the flag for 'reflect' constant.

This increases damage potential to:
9999(damage)*81(number of hits)*8(multiple quadra magic)*2(w-magic)*3(reflect by each member of party)=38,876,112 damage :D

I still have not figured out the correct memory address to flag the spell as reflectable. Oh well. My stupid cold will give me plenty of time to experiment.

-comet2

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-17 21:08:14 »
In theory, could you make your own materia?

IE: have your "ultimate spell"
edit a few files in Ficedula and what not, and have your very own materia?

Maybe I am just speaking crazy talk, but I see some serious potential here.

Good luck.

Decayrate

• I will be in my LABORATORY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-18 01:04:08 »
That could be the demonstration of the black materia :lol:

That mean we must add a new, "effect/animation". That features a meteor, like comet1 but with other scenes etc...
pfff rambling  :-P

could be cool thoug, if it was even possible.

rmco2003

« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-18 07:22:28 »
Well there's plenty of blank materia slots to work with, why not give it a shot? :wink:

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-18 15:39:05 »
Hi.

I did manage to force the spell to hit 81 times as a normal magic spell, able to be quadra magic-ed and all that, while using the animation for comet, even when it's replaced for other minor spells such as Fire or Ice.

I've encountered quite a few problems.

First of all, the perma-reflect trick doesn't work. The 81 limit means that no matter what, there can only be a maximum of 81 hits before damage is applied to the enemy... Reflect on all 3 party members mean that the enemy would have to undergo 243 hits before damage is calculated-and the game crashes...

Otherwise...
The spell works fine when going against single enemies. However, when going against multiple enemies, it tries to attack all of them at once-I'm not sure I understand why, but it leaves some empty 3D model problems. Moreover, whenever this happens, the game hangs at the beginning of the next 'battle'-forcing me to restart the game.

I'm not sure exactly why or how this is happening... Sigh. More experimentation is in order before this spell is truly workable.

andrewmarsh13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-18 22:13:31 »

That mean we must add a new, "effect/animation". That features a meteor, like comet1 but with other scenes etc...

Couldn't you just find the animation for that one attack that Safer Sephiroth does that sends a comet through all the planets of the solar system and replace some sort of magic with that? I mean I always sort of wanted to be able to use that, and it would be pretty fitting for the black materia.

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-07-18 22:41:21 »
if using the break 9,999 damage mod and the bombs did MAX damage (30k ATM)

you could do...
*calculates*

116,640,000 damage!

Decayrate

• I will be in my LABORATORY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-07-18 23:20:55 »
if using the break 9,999 damage mod and the bombs did MAX damage (30k ATM)

you could do...
*calculates*

116,640,000 damage!

1st. Oh my god! :O "that was easy!"
2nd. Cool!
3rd. jaaaaaawn

:P

andrewmarsh13 that Could be done, but my lack of skill in "hacking" this game is rather poor..

*opening the lid to the ff7 box*

well, my data knowlegde is quite good, so maybe I could read some faq's, on the "hacking the mystery on .p's"
on this board a little more.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-20 01:40:34 by TYRANN »

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-07-19 00:10:16 »
I assume that you mean sephiroth's supernova attack, right?

The problem is, the animations of the spells seem not only just tied to the specific IDs, but also to the 'category' as well... I'm sure that one of the enemy skills can be edited to use the animation for that attack. However, the problem is that none of the E.skills can be quad magic-ed... meaning that I don't think using both this animation and still obtaining the max damage can be done-unless somehow, the categories from which each materia recalls its spells can be changed... changing the actual values of the spells themselves across different categories do NOT produce the same animations.

As to the problem of the 81x hitting spell... It seems like I will have to be content with it attacking a single target only-what I gather is that when an enemy loses all its hp without the full 81 hits have been dealt, and that applies to multiple enemies, the game somehow carries over this fact to the next battle... resulting in the game hanging the battle while it waits for the flag for 'hit completion'-except that since this is a new battle, there will not be anything that can apply that flag... forcing the battle to stay in the 'wait' status.

Sigh.

I'll try to improve this some more then post memory addresses/values that can do all this... courtesy of Spiro's Memhack 3.

Comet2

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-07-19 21:39:55 »
Some Additional Info.

I've got my spells to have most of the enemy skill graphics (anything from the 'stone stare' to 'heart')

It turns out that by changing the 'attack ID' value on any of the enemy skills into the desired number, you can get the spell to display the desired graphic. Unfortunately... it seems like the supernova animation is somehow tied to the existence of the safer sephiroth-the game just hangs there without any animation playing if I try to use its animation...

Oh well. This still opens up a world of possibilities-I've always wanted to use the 'sewer tsunami' graphic effect on one of my spells :D

This was discovered by taking the ID number beyond the current 17 max that gives the Pandora's Box animation. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I used tabulated Enemy Attack data as well as Enemy skill data (memory addresses, btw) to compare this, and it seems like whatever ID Enemy attacks use, you have to convert it to dec, add 24 to it and place it in the ID value of any Enemy skill to produce the desired animation.

I'm going to see if I can do something similar to the magic spells, although I doubt it. I've already tested summons-the game crashes if I go beyond KotR animation :( It seems like Square didn't have any extra summon animations hidden for us to find.

I love being able to use pale horse/heartless angel, lol. Pale horse makes the character shoot a blue dragonball Z type-thing (the gamehameha thing). Heartless gives a 'bigger' red dragonball Z type thing. The joke about a Dragonball Z mod might actually come true heh.

More edits:
deen, diamond flash, ruby flame, ruby ray, air tam storm, emerald laser etc, most boss enemy skills work.

Also, I have made progress with testing change of magic spell graphics (not enemy skills). I'm not sure 100% yet, but I've found that spell animations can indeed go beyond the 0 to 53 available. In fact, the 54th is frog song, 56 is some weird spell where a hammer appears out of nowear and hits enemies, and 58 is the 'hero drink' animation. 66 is the animation for Beta.

I'll try to find the pale horse/heartless angel/diamond flash graphics for this 'category' of spells-this way, I can have a quadra magic/w-magic able enemy skills...

-comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-20 00:07:38 by comet2 »

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-07-20 05:10:35 »
Ugh. I tested all 255 magic animation IDs as well as some summoning IDs. It turns out that all the animations in the game (almost all) can be accessed by this method... below is a list of my findings.

I do not have the brains to remember the name of every single attack the enemies use and corelate them with the animations-as a result, I just gave a brief verbal description of each animation instead.

The values listed below are all decimal values.

changing magic ID's (animations):

Note: all these have been tested through changing bytes of 'Ultima.' No guarantees they will work with other spells (although they probably will)

Code: [Select]
1-54: animations that can be gained from normal magic spells
54=frog song-thing, music notes all over the place
55=line drawn from character to enemy, burnt then explodes
56=hammers appear out of nowhere, hits enemies
57=white confetti on enemies
58=hero drinks
59=hangs game
60=rainbow disco ball type thing on one enemy
61=huge bubble type thing w/face on one enemy
62=flamethrower thing, hangs game
63=multiple red beams-one enemy
64=missiles-similar to matra magic-all enemies
65=pillar of smoke
66=Beta (red tube)
67=a lot of large water bubbles (screen goes dark)
68=clear tetrahedron forms around enemy, deals damage
69="Magic Breath" lots of colorful bubbles
70=huge 'weight' forms on enemy...
71=several 'orange flashes' (like gunshots) on enemy
72=hangs game
73=red skull with flame inside forms inside each enemy
74=hangs game
75=hangs game
76=Shadow Flare-type, screen goes white with black bubbles, single enemy
77=pandora's box-outer space, question mark all enemies
78=3 balls of ilght, 1 for each opponent
79=3 fiery balls, 1 for each opponent
80=3 spiderweb-type things... 'northern cross' on each opponent
81=small green cloud on each opponent
82=blue laser on each opponent from character
83=spiderweb-type things-true 'northern cross' on each opponent
84=blue beam
85='seed shot'
86=funnel from character open towards enemy, then 'teardrop' crystal shape appears on enemy
87='smoke shot'
88=red Japanese characters circle around the enemy, then explodes
89=blue circles (like one of those classic 'sonic beams')
90='sand storm' from worm-type enemies (sand funnel)
91=screen goes dark, something shoots across ground then hits opp. with electricity
92="silver wheel" small white gear goes through enemy
93=pillar of fire on enemy
94=screen flashes white, then damages enemy
95=many yellow beams go around enemy in a funnel shape, like the first part of 'stone stare'
96=big red blast, sends black pieces of stone flying
97=1 missile per enemy
98=smoke on enemies, then orange tube around enemy
99=a small white cloud
100=shot of blue cubes
101=red 'ufo' thing goes on top of enemy, energy collected upward, taken back to character
102=something shoots across land to enemy, then explodes
103=screen goes dark, black half-sphere rises from ground and explodes
104=sewer tsunami effect (grodn turns into water, wave goes across enemy)
105=big blue funnel at both enemies from character, 'sucks in'
106=small white explosions
107=screen goes dark, snowflakes fall down and explode
108=simple 'fire'
109=1000 needles type animation
110=screen goes dark, 'hole' appears and shoots stone at enemies
111=true 'avalanche' of snow, leaves enemies frozen
112=flying sickle (crescent moon shaped blade goes through each enemies)
113=sorm of leaves
114=stone falls on each opponent, splits in half and breaks
115=heart goes on top of enemies, then rains sparkles
116=screen goes dark, energy gathers in front of character, then shoots across to enemies
117=screen goes dark, red tetrahedron forms 'in' each enemy, orange electricity then streaks inside
118=screen goes dark, blue energy gathers middle of field, then lightning falls on field, energy balls shot to enemies
119=simple fire
120=screen goes dark, small orange beam at each enemy
121=screen goes dark, blue ball of energy gathers in front of enemy, several balls come out and shoot toward enemies
122=red seed shot
123=simple fire
124='spade' (from that card shooting enemy)
125='heart'
126='club'
127='diamond'
128=hangs game
129='the hierophant' (Death Dealer)
130='the hermit'=removes enemy from game into a 'hole to space' in ground, even if the damage isn't dealt...
131="the star"=screen goes dark, shoots stars at opponent
132="the sun" weird piece of wood rises from ground and attacks opponent
133="the world" stop-type effect
134=orange multiple flying sickles
135=small balls of light shot at all opponents, rainbow explosions
136=3 fiery balls
137=screen goes dark, white funnel opens and closes upon enemies, snowstorm background
138=green smoke shot
139=yellow 'sonic shot' then circle dissipates away from enemy
140=yellow sand funnels at each enemy
141=big black missile on enemy, screen goes black, 'mini nuke' effect
142=shot of white mass
143=screen goes dark, small lights shoot up from enemy, forms sphere, falls on character (sucking up energy)
144=something red shoots across land, then explodes on enemy
145=screen goes dark, ground explodes on enemy creating red and white flashes
146=red 'snowflakes' fall on enemies and explode
147=orange dragonball z type effect
148=fire spews out from character to all directions
149=sets fire on field floor
150=sewer tsunami (starts from back of character)
151=sewer tsunami (starts from back of enemies)
152=shoot a blue ray on each opponent, explodes in 'bubbles'
153=yelow and red 'beam' that draws figure 8 across enemy (search scope or something from guard scorpion)
154=blue ray (probably tail attack from scorpion)
155=enemies engulfed in purple coud
156=icicles drop on enemies from above
157=blue funnel from character, enemy surrounded by bubble
158=blue 'smoke shot', bubbles shoot out from under enemies like geysers
159=bubble geyser on top of character
160=bubble geyser on top of character, screen goes slightly white
161='volcano' spews from top of chracter (basically red bubble geyser)
162=coin(?) geyser-something yellow with marks
163=white smoke tornado goes through enemy
164=white smoke tornado 'on' enemy
165='stone stare' search scope-type ray then opp. turns into stone
166=mini 'ultima' on foot of enemy
167=character 'shoots' something, then mini 'ultima' on foot of enemy
168=screen flashes blue, electric attack on enemy
169=blue laser shot from character to enemies
170=white 'lines' revolve around each enemy
171=a big explosion...
172=small grey stars flash on enemies
173=white seed shot, ice forms around enemies, encasing them
174=white ice flame
175=white ice/red fire flame
176=screen goes dark and big blue ball of energy forms in middle of field, 'explodes,' spewing debris
177=screen flashes red
178=screen flashes blue
179=blue ball of energy shot (blue beam trail), enemy it passed through has blue mini ultima on foot
180=red bubbles shot from character to enemies
181=blue beta (aqualung?)
182=black triangular missiles shoot towards enemy
183=thin grey missiles shoot toward enemy
184=many lightnings converge to one spot, stones break off
185=medium black missile shoot toward enemy and explodes
186=blue ball of energy shot
187=screen goes dark-red dragonball z thing- red 'pale horse'
188=screen goes dark-blue dragonball z thing
189=pink 'smoke shot'
190=pink funnel, shoot hearts
191=shoot lots of multicolored rings
192='rain' of tiny blue stars
193=electric sparks in front of character, eye forms and shoots toward character
194=blue notes shoot toward enemies
195=stone volcano all enemies
196=screen shakes, stone volcano on 'top' of character
197='pulsating' clock on one enemy
198='blood' shoots out of enemy body, then white skull forms on top of enemy (screen goes dark)
199=yellow explosions
200=smoke shot
201=screen becomes tinted yellow, sandy funnel on each enemy
202=small grey cloud shot toward each enemy
203=gunshots at enemies' feet
204=search beam thing
205=blue 'frisbee' shot from character to enemy
206=blue frisbee shot from character to enemy (screen goes black)
207=shoot round black 'cannonball' with fins at enemy
208=shoot round black spiked 'cannonball' with fins at enemy
209=blue flamethrower
210=blue rings shot toward enemies, then field becomes blue cave
211='quake' brown circles form below enemies (?)
212='quake 2' beams shoot out from ground, then large brown circle forms below enemies
213='quake 3' beams shoot out from ground, then brown 'mountain' shoots out
214='bolt' lighning bolt strikes enemy
215=multicolor rings shoot toward enemy, field becomes rainbow cave
216=flamethrower (hangs game)
217=flamethrower (does not hang game)
218=dense blue ball forms and sprays laser shots on enemies (darkens screen)
219=blue dragonball Z thing, 'pale horse'
220=weird red dragonball z thing, 'heartless angel'
221=hangs game
222=hangs game
223=small white masses spew from character
224=small rock shoots from character, breaks on contact with enemy
225=causes sephiroth death animation... screen remains white after completion
226=healing animation (multiple color)
227=whirlsand
228=changing camera angle
229=game completely crashes
230=screen darkens, blue ball of energy gathers around character, then shoots red balls at enemy
231=blue beam
232=weird... nothing spectacular other than throwing enemies 5 feet into the air
233=small yellow bits shot at enemies followed by huge dragonball z thing
234=yellow beam, causes bubble explosion
235=nothing
236=blue flash in front of character, then flash on enemies
237='cross slash' animation on enemies (character stays still after displaying 'casting' animation)
238=blade beam animation
239=climhazzard
240=meteorain
241=finishing touch
242=omnislash (crashes game after 3rd strike)
243=big shot
244=etc the rest are all limit break animations, I won't bother to list them (they go in the order of cloud, barret, tifa, up to some of Aeris)

Changing Summoning IDs:
All these were tested with Leviathan. same warning as above.
16=fat chocobo
17=gunge lance
anything higher will hang the game.

That's all folks.

By dragonball z type effects, I mean energy gathers in front of character, then shoots through enemies in a thick beam.

Some suggested animations for large-scale attacks would be 77-pandora's box, 103-alternative ultima, 111-an avalanche of snow, 118-rain of lightning, the many dragonball z type effects, the ones where blue ball of energy gathers in the middle of field and shoots smaller balls at enemies, 240-meteorain animation.

Maximum damage tests: while 81 hits is the maximum number of hits a spell can deal w/o the game crashing immediately, it seems like such hits will cause the game to hang with a high degree of frequency... I do not exactly know what the 'safe' value that will almost never make the battle hang, but I think the actually feasible number of hits may well be lower. I'll experiment with 50 hits and see...

It's a pity that I did not find spell animations that ruly brought into mind world destruction. The best I can do would be comets, energy beams, and avalanches. Oh well.

-comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-20 07:20:39 by comet2 »

comet2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-07-21 04:50:53 »
Currently, my spell stands as : hits 50 times, 9999 each, Quadra magic-able 'Ice' that ignores opponent defense and uses the pale horse animation (only targets one opponent). It costs 0 MP. It also deals all negative status effects, although I'm debating whether to allow the 'imprisoned' status to stay on, as I don't think even the bosses can resist it... although I'm not too sure about this.

Finally, a quick primer for those of you who want to use this spell... An instruction on how to do it (this exact spell).

Before I begin, I'd like to let you know that this is how I did it in my computer and worked-I am not responsible for any damage that you may cause on your computer. You have your warning. If used incorrectly, this has the potential to lock up your computer to the point where you have to unplug the computer to restart it. Don't sue me if you do this one too many times and one day your computer burns out.

Without further ado:

1. equip your character with the 'Ice' materia inside the game.
2. get L.Spiro's Memory Hacking Program. (found in 'list of programs' stickied post in this forum)
3. open Memory hacking program and FF7. alt-tab to Memory Hacking Program. Click File-Open Process-ff7.exe.
4. go to Search-Group Search.
5. Check 'Preserve order of bytes' and 'data as hex'. type in 28 in 'group size'.
6. Type the following code in the 'Data List'. (or just copy paste from here)
code for ice:
64 FF 00 FF 04 00 FF FF 07 00 24 00 0F 1E 22 08 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 FF FD
Press 'OK.'
7. There should be a found addresses window open after it's done. If not go to Window-found addresses. Double click on the found address. a window called 'RAM watcher' should open. If it doesn't open, go to tools, click on 'RAM watcher.' then type '28' on the Watch field and the address you found (under 'Address' in the Found Addresses window) in the 'Addresses Starting At' field.
8. Double click on the first address. A window will pop up saying 'Insert Address.' Make sure the Type is set to 'Byte.' Press OK.
9. The address should now be visible in your main window. double click on the address. It will open a window called 'memory attributes.'
10. On the 'Preferred Value' field, type '255.' Click on the 'Locked' Field. Click OK. Congratulations, your Ice will now have a 255% chance to hit.
11. Go back to the 'Ram watcher' Window. double click on the 5th address. It should have some address value followed by 04 and 4. Go through same process to add the address to your main window. then Lock it to 0. Congratulations, your Ice will now need 0 MP.
The instructions will be repetitive if I say the same thing to change each address, so below is the list of which address you have to double click (in the form of 1st-28th) and the value you have to lock it to, followed by what it does.
13th-lock it to 3-will force it to always target just one opponent. Possible numbers below. Thanks dziugo.
Byte 13 is the target information.
 0x00 Target Self and only Self
 0x01 Only One Target Allowed
 0x02 Target Enemy By Default
 0x04 Target All (Ignores 0x01)
 0x08 Can Switch Between 1 Target and All Targets if Both Are Valid Options
 0x10 Only Target Default Team
 0x20 ?
 0x40 Hits Everyone (Allies and Foes)
 0x80 Random Targets Within Valid Group
14th-lock it to 219-will change its animation to that of pale horse: a dragonball z type thing where energy gathers in front of character then creates a swath of energy through the enemy from the character. You can change this to other bytes (the full list is provided a few posts above)
15th-lock it to 17.
16th-lock it to 255-will force Ice3 to use the maximum possible power in FF7 engine (to use Terence Fergusson's terminology, this will give Ice a power that is 16x base (KotR is 5x base)
18th-lock it to 63-all status ailments this spell causes will have a 100% chance of affliction. To avoid trouble, don't go any higher (please.)
19th-lock it to 0.
20th-lock it to 50-this controls how many hits your spell will deal. In animations that don't depend on the number of hits (most magic spells), this will deal the full no. of hits (up to 81 hits). note that the higher the number of hits, the higher the chance that the game will hang.
21st to 24th- lock it to 205, 94, 8, 142 respectively. this deals with what kind of status effects this spell will apply to characters. The list of ailments and its respective addresses can be found below. Note that multiple status effects can be gained by adding the addresses together (in hex). For reference, see my very first post, 2nd page-thanks Dziugo.
Status effects:

21st-22nd-23rd-24th

10 00 00 00 - Sadness (gears) ok
01 00 00 00 - Death (status cure <=> Life/Phoenix Down)
02 00 00 00 - Near Death (gears - probably not useful here)
04 00 00 00 - Sleep
08 00 00 00 - Poison
20 00 00 00 - Fury (gears) ok
40 00 00 00 - Confu
80 00 00 00 - Silence

00 01 00 00 - Haste
00 02 00 00 - Slow
00 04 00 00 - Stop
00 08 00 00 - Frog
00 10 00 00 - Small
00 20 00 00 - Slow-Numb (gears) ok
00 40 00 00 - Petrify (gears) correct
00 80 00 00 - Regen

00 00 01 00 - Barrier
00 00 02 00 - MBarrier
00 00 04 00 - Reflect
00 00 08 00 - dual-shows 'dual' in text screen
00 00 10 00 - shield
00 00 20 00 - death-sentence
00 00 40 00 - manipulate
00 00 80 00 - berserk

00 00 00 01 - peerless
00 00 00 02 - Paralysed
00 00 00 04 - Darkness (gears) ok
00 00 00 08 - Dual (gears)-hp leeching effect, must be combined with 'dual' above for game to not crash
00 00 00 10 - Death Force (gears)
00 00 00 20 - Resist
00 00 00 40 - Lucky Girl (gears) ok
00 00 00 80 - Imprisoned (gears) ok

25th-lock it to 0. This controls what elements the spell will have. Reference for the elements can be found below. (once again, thanks dziugo)

Elements:
 0x0001 Fire
 0x0002 Ice
 0x0004 Lightning
 0x0008 Earth
 0x0010 Poison
 0x0020 Gravity
 0x0040 Water
 0x0080 Wind
 0x0100 Holy
 0x0200 Restorative
 0x0400 Cut
 0x0800 Hit
 0x1000 Punch
 0x2000 Shoot
 0x4000 Shout

28th-lock to 219. This controls various special effects of the spell. The full range of values for the 27th and 28th bytes can be found below. Once again, I gleaned these from Dziugo's posts. Note that some specials may only work for specific animations i.e. the blade beam special.
Also, the last two bytes are “specials”.
They contain data related to:
 0x0001 Attack MP instead of HP
 0x0002 ?
 0x0004 ?
 0x0008 ?
 0x0010 Drain Damage Dealt
 0x0020 Drain HP/MP
 0x0040 Blade Beam
 0x0080 Ignore Status
 0x0100 Miss if Not in “Death” Status
 0x0200 Reflectable
 0x0400 Piercing (Unblockable)
 0x0800 Angel Whisper/Pulse of Life
 0x1000 ?
 0x2000 Critical Hits
 0x4000 ?
 0x8000 ?

They are combined the same way as statuses and elements except for one thing.
Rather than each bit being set, the effects apply if the bit is NOT set.

Thus Magic Hammer (0xFDEE) has the following properties:
0xFDEE =
1111110111101110 =
Attack MP instead of HP,
Drain Damage Dealt,
Reflectable

That's all. Now you have my spell whenever you cast Ice.

If you don't want to repeat this every time you open up FF7, go to the main window of memhack, go to file-save and save it. Next time you want to use this spell, just open memhack, open the file, and select ff7 as your process.

Memory hacking opens up a world of possibilities, including always-full limit bars, constant peerless/regen, and more.

-Comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 04:54:07 by comet2 »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #19 on: 2006-07-21 10:13:26 »
You got that all by your own - the only thing you used and was from me is the status list. And it was incorrect! :P

And it looks like a nice tutorial. Nice work. <goes to make some super spell>

dziugo

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 2006-07-21 17:19:15 »
If we can narrow this information to the dtatfiles, this would be an intresting additio nog the Grats document.

So the animations and the effects are disconnected.....*VERY!* inresting

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-07-21 19:32:28 »

Couldn't you just find the animation for that one attack that Safer Sephiroth does that sends a comet through all the planets of the solar system and replace some sort of magic with that? I mean I always sort of wanted to be able to use that, and it would be pretty fitting for the black materia.

The first time I saw Supernova, I watched intently.  After that, it just seemed to waste time.  Perhaps I would get a quick snack or go to the bathroom while I waited.  I don't think that It would be a good choice for a spell you'd want to use often.

comet2

• View Profile
Hello.

I have one last question to ask you all. Is there any way I could use the animation for cosmo memory in my normal spells? Part of my effort to list all possible animation IDs was to use that animation, as it most really does resemble a huge meteor (not the puny comet one) bringing mass destruction upon the enemies... unfortunately, while these IDs did end up applying some limit breaks, the IDs already went up to 255 before all the Animations could be categorized... Any ideas?

According to my calculations, if possible, the animation for cosmo memory would be #277... If only the byte structure was 17 base, heh. Sigh.

-comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 22:46:10 by comet2 »

knives

• View Profile
Maybe All creation would work?

comet2

• View Profile
Hi,
I attempted to find how the computer reads the animations so that I could change the 'scale' (ID of the actual attack versus ID that needs to be put in a spell to give out the attack (i.e. Braver has ID 00 in limit break animations, but is ID 236 in magic spell animation)... I haven't had much success yet. : (

And no, All creation won't work... none of Red XII's limit breaks are within the range of possible limit breaks. Right now, only Cloud's, Barret's, and a few of Aeris's Limit Breaks can be used as spell animations. Sigh... This might involve changing the entire game engine... (The Limit Break Animation IDs are in the order of Cloud-Barret-Aeris-Tifa-Redxii-cait sith-vincent-yuffie)

I wonder-if I change the animation of Braver (the limit break) to use the cosmo memory animation, then change the animation ID of my 'ultimate spell' to that of Braver, will it allow me to use the cosmo memory animation? I'll try this out, although I doubt it will work.

EDIT: doesn't work.

-comet2
« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 23:25:00 by comet2 »