Author Topic: [FF8-R] Does the game really handle alpha textures properly?  (Read 2184 times)

Oscar92player

• View Profile
I'm trying to work on my own graphical mods for the Remastered version of the game, so I can change some UI elements to resemble the original assets from the original PSX/PC version.

However, I've found that using my custom textures, some of them are showing in game with some kind of white borders or rough borders with the same colors as the texture palette. I found out that it was due to the alpha colors (aka, transparency colors) at the borders of the texts and numbers from the edited textures.

The texture in question is this one of the font of the game I'm doing right now:

So I was in need of support, for those who know more about this game, if it there's a way to avoid this kind of issues, or if it's really needed to have rough pixelated borders like in the default textures so the game won't show that kind of graphical issues anymore.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19660.msg273993#msg273993
that message shows how to avoid this with photoshop, then 2 posts down a post by chrysalis tells you how to avoid it in GIMP

the reason is that your image is getting saved with a white background underneath the transparency

Oscar92player

• View Profile
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19660.msg273993#msg273993
that message shows how to avoid this with photoshop, then 2 posts down a post by chrysalis tells you how to avoid it in GIMP

the reason is that your image is getting saved with a white background underneath the transparency

Interesting... I didn't knew this about Photoshop. I suppose this also explains why even on my Windows folders, some of the thumbnails from PNG files with alpha channel appears with a black background instead of transparency.

Thank you very much for the help, I'll try that!

Aavock

• View Profile
I had the same issue months ago; Panteleimon's method works like a charm for Photoshop.

As for the inconsistencies on your files previews, we all know Win OS is quirky for no reason at times.

Oscar92player

• View Profile
I had the same issue months ago; Panteleimon's method works like a charm for Photoshop.

It will be of help (a lot!), because I plan to redraw all the UI elements from Final Fantasy VIII Remastered. Most of them are not faithful to the original style (even if it was mostly pixelated) of some of the menu elements and windows.

This is not the definitive font, either. I'll try to remaster the original one, letter by letter if it is needed.