Read this first! > Announcements and site development

We were hacked.

<< < (3/3)

darxide:
On the topic of not using the same username/email/password combination, I've got a tip for those who don't want to use one of those fancy account manager programs/services: Yahoo mail.

Yea, I know. Yahoo? *GROAN* But hear me out. I don't use Yahoo as my personal or professional email. But I do use it anytime I need to sign up to a website. Why? Because Yahoo has built-in disposable email addresses. If you didn't know (and most people seem to be completely unaware) if you got to Settings -> More Settings (it's at the bottom of the Settings menu) you'll find a option for Mailboxes. In there, you'll find disposable email addresses. You can have up to 500 of them on a free Yahoo account. It's pretty insane. If for some ungodly reason you manage to come up with more than 500 different email addresses, just make a second Yahoo account and you've got 1000.

Couple this with Firefox and Chrome's abilities to randomly generate passwords and you're golden. Just remember to keep backups of your saved passwords file somewhere in case of profile corruptions which happen frequently with both Firefox and Chrome. Google can help you with finding the right files to backup.

Now you've got not only unique passwords, but also unique email addresses for all of your accounts. Now you can keep using the same username without fear of being cross hacked if one of your accounts is compromised and it makes it easy to sign up to fishy websites that you might not trust because you can always delete that email address and stop the spam pretty quickly. On that topic, it makes it super easy to see which websites are selling your info because you'll start getting spam emails on one of your addresses and you'll know exactly who you used that to sign up with.

Vehek:

--- Quote from: darxide on 2021-07-23 18:38:22 ---You can have up to 500 of them on a free Yahoo account. It's pretty insane. If for some ungodly reason you manage to come up with more than 500 different email addresses, just make a second Yahoo account and you've got 1000.
--- End quote ---
I tried, and it looks like your information is out-of-date. At some point it became a Yahoo-Plus-only thing, at least the massive number part (my settings menu says 3 for free). People who were already using the feature may have got to keep it. I haven't found too much information on the change yet.

Koby:

--- Quote from: Vehek on 2021-07-23 20:30:49 ---I tried, and it looks like your information is out-of-date. At some point it became a Yahoo-Plus-only thing, at least the massive number part (my settings menu says 3 for free). People who were already using the feature may have got to keep it. I haven't found too much information on the change yet.

--- End quote ---
Not just this but many sites block and ban DEAs because they're prone for use by spammers and not secure at all since they're disposable. Most DEAs are only active for about 15 minutes, enough to register on a site and be done. As a result someone else can utilize the same one and easily gain access to your account. Even if that isn't the case, in the event you forget or lose your password you have no way of resetting it if you've lost access to the DEA... But yeah since they're prone to just be abused or used for spam bots... many forums and such have DEA blacklists setup in order to block and ban the use of them... I've even seen sites that would ban active users if they realized a DEA was used for the account.
Should be fine here, but on other forums its worth looking into to ensure they're okay with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version