Author Topic: Changing a vcd to mpeg/avi  (Read 3701 times)

Ant

• View Profile
Changing a vcd to mpeg/avi
« on: 2002-05-11 14:49:19 »
There seem to be loads of different files on a vcd how would I go about converting it to an mpeg or avi file?

Is this possible?
What programs are there that do this?

Thanks
--
Ant

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-11 15:00:57 »
I think that VCD 1.0 has a MPEG file on the CD that you can just take off.

However, VCD 2.0 has some more myseterious files.  The one in the "MPEGAV" folder (can't remember what its called, but it is .DAT and it will definately be the largest file on the CD... and there'll be more than one if the CD has more than one "Chapter") is the actual movie, and it is encoded in MPEG (MPEG-4, I think), so it should be rather easy to convert it to an MPEG.

HOWEVER - the only programs I can find that mess with VCD 2.0 are Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 (to make them) and WinDVD 3.0 (to play them).  None of the freeware VCD players on the internet seem to play VCD 2.0.  I have not yet tried to convert one to MPEG...

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-05-14 18:10:17 »
Quote from: Aaron
I think that VCD 1.0 has a MPEG file on the CD that you can just take off.

However, VCD 2.0 has some more myseterious files.  The one in the "MPEGAV" folder (can't remember what its called, but it is .DAT and it will definately be the largest file on the CD... and there'll be more than one if the CD has more than one "Chapter") is the actual movie, and it is encoded in MPEG (MPEG-4, I think), so it should be rather easy to convert it to an MPEG.

Easy. Rename the .dat file to .mpg. There you go! I've done that for my Final Fantasy the spirits within VCD (both from Malaysia hehe) .. however u must copy the .dat file to the harddrive first. Hope it helps...  :)