Author Topic: Game Pop Quiz #2!  (Read 8455 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« on: 2002-04-29 14:19:00 »
Alright, a slightly different style this time.

Code: [Select]
 E L B I
G L E V E B
E A 1 2 R E
N T 3 2 6 H
E I O N 1 T
  S I S 3

I have a secondary chiffre in store, in case no one gets it right. But really, you *should* get this one.

J*** H*******

Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #1 on: 2002-04-29 15:02:47 »
Xenogears?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #2 on: 2002-04-29 15:12:53 »
See, that wasn't that difficult.

eerrrr

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #3 on: 2002-04-29 15:47:48 »
I've played Xenogears, but I don't have a clue how it's linked to that code. It must be xome kind of puzzle I've never seen before. How's it work?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #4 on: 2002-04-29 16:29:09 »
It's a shame so few had a chance to genuinely work at it, it's good mind practice  :)

Okay, here's how the puzzle works (in spoiler code):

Spoiler: show
Take the puzzle, and read the letters in a counter-clockwise spiral, starting from the lower right corner. You will get the words "The Bible", "Genesis 3.16" and "Revelation 22.13". From there, you look up the bible, book of Genesis, chapter 3, verse 16. The verse contains the phrase "you shall be as gods". Then look up the book of Revelation, chapter 22, verse 13. It reads "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last". Both these phrases are displayed in the intro of Xenogears.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #5 on: 2002-04-29 18:53:03 »
VERY interesting ...
now Jari: How did you find out it's Xenogears? Did you do it like Qhimm explained?

- Alhexx

J*** H*******

Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #6 on: 2002-04-29 20:04:16 »
Yep. Actually I even made a post with almost identical content to Qhimm's post to explain the thing, after I posted I found out that Qhimm had already explained it (with spoiler tag, I might add), so I removed that post.

Funny thing is that I have played Xenogears only for few minutes (it's one of the games I'm planning to play when I get around to it, whenever that's gonna be), but the hint was from the opening FMV.

As for the puzzle itself: it actually took only few minutes to solve, probably because I've seen similar before (and I got lucky). There's only limited number of ways these things can work, unless... After I solved the puzzle I was suspected that it had a pretty good chance of being Xenogears, because there are not that many games with so direct references to... you know. But I had to check it to be sure.

Oh question, question... I'll get back to you when I come up with something. :) Should be reasonably soon.

EDIT: Behold, the question has arrived:

Nyevtug, anzr guvf byq CP tnzr:

- Lbh ner PVN'f ntrag Znk Erzvatgba

- Enaqbzyl trarengrq zvffvbaf

- Frireny 'fho-tnzrf', gung vapyhqr jvergnccvat (avpr oenva rkprepvfr, onfvpnyyl zrffvat jvgu ybtvp tngrf), qrpbqvat rapelcgrq zrffntrf (jurer qb lbh guvax gung V tbg gur vqrn? ;), oernxvat vagb 'rarzl' fnsrubhfrf, cresbezvat fheiryynvapr ba gurz naq fb sbegu.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #7 on: 2002-04-30 05:52:31 »
Nice code. Easily broken though.

Sid Meier's Covert Action is the game.

While I wait for confirmation, I'll work on my question.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

J*** H*******

Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #8 on: 2002-04-30 09:34:00 »
Indeed it is Covert Action.

Heh, it's hardly the ultimate encryption. :) I picked it because there are several decoders for it, so you can decode it without actually doing anything yourself. :) And it _might_ look pretty familiar if you have used newsgroups in the past.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #9 on: 2002-04-30 14:48:50 »
I don't get it! Grrrr, both of them looked like gibberjabber to me, though now I can see the first one.... but Jari's code was jibberish... there still are only 2 humans on this message board...

Kendrilian the Human (yeah right)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #10 on: 2002-04-30 15:54:20 »
Kendrilian: It's quite simple actually.

Nyevtug, anzr guvf byq CP tnzr:

- Lbh ner PVN'f ntrag Znk Erzvatgba

- Enaqbzyl trarengrq zvffvbaf

- Frireny 'fho-tnzrf', gung vapyhqr jvergnccvat (avpr oenva rkprepvfr, onfvpnyyl zrffvat jvgu ybtvp tngrf), qrpbqvat rapelcgrq zrffntrf (jurer qb lbh guvax gung V tbg gur vqrn? , oernxvat vagb 'rarzl' fnsrubhfrf, cresbezvat fheiryynvapr ba gurz naq fb sbegu.

Looking at it, yeah, it looks like gobbly-gook. But then, you start looking for identical or obvious things. Let's start with "PVN'f". We see an ' in there, so what could the letter after it be? Looking at the letter formatting of the letters before it (all caps) we can assume it's a name or anacronyme of some kind. That rules out 't, which leaves us with 's. Now, write out the alphabet, and write out another one underneath it, so that the letter "s' is directly underneath the letter "f". Using that code, start translating the hint. When we do this we see that "PVN'f" is really "CIA's". The hint goes on from there. That's how I broke the code.

I'm at school now, so I'll post the question when I get home.

Sephiroth 3D @ School[/quote]

Kendrilian

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #11 on: 2002-04-30 17:42:52 »
okay that makes more sense now... Thank You Sepheroth

Kendrilian *less confused but still so*

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #12 on: 2002-05-01 19:52:15 »
Here are my hints:

Zmteri Lzhudjly ocrd j bpdf bov. Yrivfimj/hevut whutxy TVE Rcvvqfs.

Be Careful... I was sneaky. :wicked: If you need help, let me know, and I'll give you a decoding hint.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #13 on: 2002-05-01 22:47:54 »
Turok... Probably Turok 3, but the clue hardly identifies any single one of them. Either I'm totally wrong, or the clue itself isn't specific enough.
Zmteri Lzhudjly ocrd j bpdf bov. Yrivfimj/hevut whutxy TVE Rcvvqfs.

The crypto is a
Spoiler: show
common substitution crypto, with the substitution alphabet in reverse order and shifted one step for each word (restarted each sentence). The decrypted text reads "Native American with a huge gun. Overhead/first person RPG Shooter.". It's not 100% accurately encrypted though (shame on you, Sephy).

Onto the question at hand, I know only one game series with native americans and guns in the 1PV-shooter genre, and *none* of those contain any real RPG elements, so...

Well anyway, that's my guess.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #14 on: 2002-05-01 23:32:24 »
Damn Qhimm... You got the encryption right. (I did it by hand, so it's bound to have a few mistakes.) However, your guess is wrong. Please try again.

Also, how you find these de/encrypters? I'd like to get a few. Sound like fun...

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #15 on: 2002-05-02 00:38:44 »
im curious as well. please. do tell.

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #16 on: 2002-05-02 01:43:52 »
Qhimm, if Diablo has no REAL RPG elements and is called an RPG, then this game may not be a real RPG. Or you can screw Diablo and use real logic. :lol:

Kendrilian

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #17 on: 2002-05-02 02:54:26 »
The only RPG element Diablo has is you gain levels, by experience points from killing "enemies".

The Code guids would be nice for those of us who are actually human...
 :D

To venture a guess though... some Star Trek game where you can be Chakotay from Voyager? I dunno... first person shooters are my anti-thesis...

Kendrilian

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #18 on: 2002-05-02 05:29:54 »
People this is crazy, i mean it would be hard as hell for me to decrypt those messages ....

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #19 on: 2002-05-02 08:40:58 »
Ok, Here's a hint: It has a sequel.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #20 on: 2002-05-02 08:58:21 »
All right, my second guess (you're allowed to second guesses, right?)

Metal Gear Solid (with Vulcan Raven and all)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #2!
« Reply #21 on: 2002-05-02 09:07:01 »
Winner! Winner! We have a Winner!

Qhimm got it right. Metal Gear Solid.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]