Author Topic: FF7 Keyboard compatibility issues  (Read 6419 times)

Sionow

FF7 Keyboard compatibility issues
« on: 2009-01-23 13:09:18 »
Hello everyone, I was quite surprised to find an active community based on this great game. I'm having a keyboard issue on an eee pc. I did a search on here and I found a couple of unresolved threads with similar problems as I'm experiencing. However nothing seemed to come of the threads. The problem comes from not having a separate number pad when I get to the section where I name Cloud. It seems the game takes my configuration settings and decides not to use them anymore. I lose all my reconfigured keys and instead looks for the number pad. I can navigate just fine using the fake number pad with the function key. However It also takes away my enter key. This poses quite a problem, I can highlight what ever option I want but I have no way of executing the ok. I've tried binding the ok command to a variety of buttons including ones activated by my function key. I had hoped if it reverted to the default that it would be allow something like that, but it really wants that number pad enter key. I did have to use the ff7input.cfg file to even load my game as the enter key wouldn't work at the title screen either. Aside frrom that slight tweek I haven't applied any other patches or fixes. This is with a maximum install.

Thank you for any help you can give, I really don't want to resort to a usb number pad or keyboard. I was hoping to have a FFVII fix that I could haul with me.

Sionow

Re: FF7 Keyboard compatibility issues
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-23 14:16:47 »
Well I thought I had found a solution, I rebound my right shift to the number pad enter key. It worked successfully in several windows applications. I went ahead and launched FF7 only to find that it still recognized it as my right shift. The quest continues on.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-23 15:00:28 »
Assuming that you have a laptop - the "Function key" + Enter when the virtual numpad is turned on, might be the numpad enter. Also, I believe that you can press Escape and then Enter and get the default name. Just remember that it requires the 1.02 patch.

Sionow

« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-23 16:07:36 »
I didn't have the 1.02 patch installed, once that was done my enter key worked like a charm. However when I changed the graphic settings that the 1.02 patch readme lists it caused the backgrounds to be rendered in a grid. Pretty weird looking effect, not exactly my style however. So I went back to software mode and everything is working properly. Thank you for the help, hopefully nothing else goes wrong. I remember fighting so many crashes right after FF7 was first released.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #4 on: 2009-01-23 16:14:41 »
However when I changed the graphic settings that the 1.02 patch readme lists it caused the backgrounds to be rendered in a grid.
In case you want to fix it: link (search for "grid").