Final Fantasy 7 > FF7 Tools

[PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)

<< < (2/255) > >>

CyberPirate:
Wow, this is really nice! What can I edit in the Command tab? Can I add 10x-Cut? :D

Kudistos Megistos:
Very good. I've just tried a few things, and have made a couple of observations, which I apologise profusely for not noticing during beta testing:

#Status attack for weapons (at 0x05) only goes up to 11 (MBarrier). I think that any status can go in here; I've had berserk (17h) and Paralyse (19h) work before (although their success rate is low, which may explain why it was thought that they don't work).

#It seems that MP cost for attacks is controlled by one byte; when I tried to make some attacks cost more than 255MP, the cost overflowed: setting the cost to 300MP will make it cost 44MP in the game.

EDIT: I was going to mention the problem with item effects used in the menu, then I read the helpme file. I suspect that the data for item effects in the menu is in ff7.exe (where attack data for limit beaks is).

Still, an excellent program; my modding is now much less time consuming and more reliable.

EDIT2: Wow, that was quick!

nfitc1:

--- Quote from: Leighos Kudistos Megistos on 2008-10-08 19:50:12 ---#Status attack for weapons (at 0x05) only goes up to 11 (MBarrier). I think that any status can go in here; I've had berserk (17h) and Paralyse (19h) work before (although their success rate is low, which may explain why it was thought that they don't work).

#It seems that MP cost for attacks is controlled by one byte; when I tried to make some attacks cost more than 255MP, the cost overflowed: setting the cost to 300MP will make it cost 44MP in the game.

--- End quote ---

I've made these changes and updated the executable on FileFront. Only five downloads have occured to this point so I don't think too many people will explode over there being an update so soon. :)

Thank you all for your positive reactions to this! I have to admit, I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get from this. Even when I began this project I was sure that there was something like this already and someone was going to say "Why did you do this when [This program] does it too...and better?" That would surely have ruined my last two weeks. LKM, your reaction to this was particularly amusing. :D

CyberPirate, unfortunately the Command tab cannot be edited YET. When that happens I'll bump this version up to 1.0. I'm still trying to identify those first two bytes and I think I'll have it.

I just noticed that one of the item effects is mislabeled. 0x50 is labeled as "Raises Stats" when I believe 0x00 actually should be "Raises Stats" and 0x50 should remain "Unknown". This is minor and not worth an update yet.

Kudistos Megistos:

--- Quote from: NFITC1 ---LKM, your reaction to this was particularly amusing.
--- End quote ---

I always enjoy a little bit of self-deprecating humour.

Anyway, I too thought that there would have been a kernel.bin editor by now; since so many important changes can be made by editing that file I'd have thought it would have been one of the first to have its own editor.

And do you have any idea how long it would take before the program will be able to edit kernelbin.2&3? At the moment I am editing these manually to make my own hardcore mod (for personal use at the moment - it will be a long, long (long) time before I have anything worth releasing).

nfitc1:
Kernel.bin2/3? Hmm... Most of that information is quite incomplete in the wiki. I'd have to go through it on my own to determine what it all means unless someone can provide a whitesheet with that kind of stuff on it.

3 looks easy enough as it's just a blank portion of a savemap (which has pretty complete information).
2 would be significantly harder without more precise definitions of things like "Character Data", "Stat Curve", and "Character AI".
The other sections were cake walks to the challenge that these two would provide. I really wanted to finish them before releasing the first version, which I believe I have. I just need values for those first two bytes of the commands and I'll rework it again. :)

I'd expect that it could take another month before I'm ready to for testing on 2 or 3. There are at least 6 sections covering 64 bytes in the save map 3 contains that are not identified. Not to mention that each character map has 4 bytes that are still unidentified. That's a rather large amount of "Unknown data" present, but it's still possible. It will require a lot of boring/tedious play-testing to nail down some of the differences.
Let me "re-coup" from Wall Market and make sure it's accurate before I start on adding more to it. :) Rest assured, I do intend (as I always have) to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version