Author Topic: Getting rid of the lines in FF8 for PC  (Read 6768 times)

DANGERBOY

Getting rid of the lines in FF8 for PC
« on: 2003-03-16 17:41:14 »
I know this has been asked and answered before :oops: , but now I can't find it (one of these days a search function will actually pull up useful info.  Not today, however).  I finally got the FF7 Chocobo Races fixed (the patch you guys so nicely provided made for a very thankful wife last night  :D ) and the low-res trick allowed my wife to get past the damaged opening FMV of FF8 this morning.  So now we have the dreaded horizontal lines.  What are the usual tricks to get them to go away?  The wife is currently on the computer (XP, btw), so I don't know all the relevant stats, but I figure it's most likely one of the common solutions.  We haven't yet set the res back to high now that we got to the first save point, because the computer is being frumpy and decided it wants a reboot before it will reopen the FF8 Config program.

BTW, thanks for all the help you've provided so far; she has been really frustrated about the whole thing ever since we got married and she discovered the games wouldn't work! :love:

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-16 18:10:45 »
Hmm... if you play the game in software rendering, are the lines still there?

If not, then its a 3D accellerator problem.  Try upgrading drivers.  Make sure FSAA is off, 'cause it can cause these kinds of problems.

On nVidia cards, to get to the FSAA controls:
 - Right-click on desktop and go to "Properties."
 - Settings tab.
 - Advanced button.
 - The tab about your vid card.
 - "Performance and Quality Settings" - turn Antialiasing and Anistropic Filtering all the way to the left (off).  Turn Texture Sharpening off.

We don't need all your specs, but video card type would be useful.

DANGERBOY

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-16 18:32:20 »
Software rendering seems to have solved the problem (at the same time I set resolution to high, but I think from what I've read here that only affects the FMV's).  I'm not sure, but I think I have a GeForce of some sort.  I have memory problems because of several concussions, so I'm not sure what exactly I have in terms of hardware anymore.

BTW, in the future you might want to tell people where to set Software Rendering (it's in the FF8 Config program).  I made a shot in the dark that happened to hit the target.  But I did manage to find it.  Thanks!

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-16 18:50:41 »
Yeah, software rendering will fix a lot of graphics problems.  However, it is slower than hardware rendering (if you don't have a really fast CPU) and [generally] does not look nearly as good.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-16 19:06:17 »
Quote from: Aaron

If not, then its a 3D accellerator problem.  Try upgrading drivers.  Make sure FSAA is off, 'cause it can cause these kinds of problems.

Well that's strange. Without FSAA I have horizontal lines running around.... with FSAA I don't have lines running around.....

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-16 19:11:55 »
Well that's odd.

I dunno, mine works fine with or without FSAA.  I figured since FSAA causes odd lines in FF7, it might have similar problems in FF8.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-16 19:14:06 »
Apply the REAL Geforce patch (someone get him the AVault Link?), and make sure Anisotropic filtering is off.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-16 19:51:11 »
Anyway, here are the results with AA, without AA, and with AA/Aniso. Special to mirex for hosting the pic  :)

I'm on Geforce2 Pro with the latest detonator driver.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-16 22:20:44 »
It's the Aniso, then. Bah, stupid Aniso.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-04-23 19:41:16 »
halohalo: Welcome to the boards....  

Don't resurrect old topics please..... this one's more than one month old.
I know you're new... so don't repeat this thanks.  :)

halohalo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2003-04-24 14:29:57 »
Use FSAA with geforcepatch makes 2D background look better, but also causes blurred fonts. So I use nongeforcepatch, and it works quite well with my gf4. I think it will be ok for gf3 or above using nongeforcepatch :)