Author Topic: A suggestion on how to change button names in FF8  (Read 6929 times)

RichterB

• View Profile
I would like to change button names in Final Fantasy 8, so to have 360 pad button names instead of generic B1, B2, B3, ecc.
There is a similar mod for FF7, but nothing about FF8
Any suggestion? I don't even know how to begin.

Shard

• View Profile
Re: A suggestion on how to change button names in FF8
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-21 11:34:12 »
Do you mean button names in the game's font?

You have to change the font, then use Deling to import it back.

Actually, I'm not sure if the PC button names are in the font or if they're just colored text. If they're colored text, you'll have to modify the field files with Deling (it's a massive undertaking. Don't do it).
« Last Edit: 2014-09-21 11:36:12 by Shard »

RichterB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-21 11:38:21 »
Do you mean button names in the game's font?

You have to change the font, then use Deling to import it back.

Actually, I'm not sure if the PC button names are in the font or if they're just colored text. If they're colored text, you'll have to modify the field files with Deling (it's a massive undertaking. Don't do it).

I want to make something similar to this mod http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14667.0

It's very annoying to see in the game the button named B1, B2, ecc.

RichterB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-22 19:56:54 »
This is weird. I opened the game with Deling, and I can't find Option menu screen text, but I find many text with Playstation button icons :/

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-23 01:53:24 »
If you put {x0527} in the text editor it will correctly show □ but it'll be automatically replaced with B1, B2... I was looking for more special characters and I've found some icons from the icon.tex; here's some examples:

Replacing a texture icon with the Playstation buttons is possible but non of this icons founded are unused. The icon.tex file countains 2 times the Playstation buttons but I coundn't get those. By the way, you can easily replaced all buttons using the ctrl+f command in Deling. All we need is to look for unused symbols or the extra PS buttons.

RichterB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-23 07:59:22 »
If you put {x0527} in the text editor it will correctly show □ but it'll be automatically replaced with B1, B2... I was looking for more special characters and I've found some icons from the icon.tex; here's some examples:

Replacing a texture icon with the Playstation buttons is possible but non of this icons founded are unused. The icon.tex file countains 2 times the Playstation buttons but I coundn't get those. By the way, you can easily replaced all buttons using the ctrl+f command in Deling. All we need is to look for unused symbols or the extra PS buttons.

There is another problem. I prefer to have 360 button icons, because it's my pad and PC standard. I think it's a more polite work.
Anyway, I want to understand why game replaces PS buttons with B1, B2 and so on.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-23 08:04:31 by RichterB »