Author Topic: Some issues...  (Read 3226 times)

Question

• View Profile
Some issues...
« on: 2016-09-28 01:07:26 »
Just found this sub forum, hopefully someone here can help with a few issues :

Model glitch : For some reason, some field main character models keep getting glitched. Like right after the sector 7 reno boss fight, barret was suddenly missing his head and had empty spots in his model.

http://imgur.com/a/GlLNp

Ive tried deactivating/reactivating the mod and deleting all the .p files in the FF7 folder (which i think are the texture cache files, not sure, the installation guide doesnt say what the texture cache files are exactly) and restarting the game but it has made no difference. I only have the field main character mod from the 7th heaven program on default settings, nothing else touchs the models.

The 7th heaven settings and opengl settings are all correct and not all main character field models are affected...

Black bar at the bottom of screen : Ive found a few posts on the net suggesting that this is due to incorrect internal resolution settings (http://reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/856-solved-final-fantasy-vii-opengl#6997). The problem is, the installation guide makes no mention whatsoever of what the correct settings are and 2X * 320 is extremely ambigious. What exactly is the "X" value here? The defaults are 3840 x 2160, how is this value derived?

This post says the default values are wrong but doesnt explain what the correct values are : http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14490.msg215515#msg215515

Large downloads keep freezing : This is apparently a problem that has been reported for years, large downloads like the part 2 field textures have a strong tedency to just hang and never complete, ever. Is there an alternative way to download the mods other than through 7th heaven? If yes, can that be mentioned in the FAQ since it is a common issue?

Name select screen always uses default key config : For some reason the default key config seems to use only numpad keys which is very odd...the issue is that even after rebinding the keys, and having it work perfectly, in the naming screen itself (the part where you choose a name for a new party member), your key config always seems to default to the default numpad key config. The moment you exit the naming screen, you can use your normal key config again.

I also ran into some issues that i managed to work around, can someone add the following to the FAQ please?

Access denied error : This occured even though i had UAC turned off, was on the administrator account and had the blank ISO AND HDD drive name changed. The only way i could work around it was to open the .exe with winrar, extract all the files, edit the .bat file with notepad ++, and comment out the code that checks for administrator access. The .bat file then patched everything with no error messages. Im guessing that part of the code is buggy...

Please insert the CD
: This happened everytime i clicked on launch game, I eventually figured out that the converter had set the game to look at the HDD for the FFVIIDISC1 part, but i had renamed the HDD and was using the blank ISO at that point. The game was not smart enough to check if there was an alternative source for the FFVIIDISC1 thing before throwing out the error.

Models/Textures not updating
: Found some posts here suggesting that textures are cached and never updates unless the cache is deleted, the problem is there is no mention of exactly which files are the cache...the default game installation has a cache sub folder in documents\squaresoft which was full of .p files, so i deleted those in the game's folder and that seems to have worked. Deactivating texture mods does absolutely nothing unless you also delete the texture cache apparently.

Vanilla saves/config not accessible after running converter
: Simple fix, go into documents\squaresoft and copy over your save/config file to the FF7 directory. The config file goes into the main directory and the save goes into your save sub folder.

Title music and sounds play, but not background music : I had VGM sound selected and a proper sound device selected, and the music tracks were in the correct VGM sub folde, but they simply would not play ingame. I had to manually install the aali driver mod, then run the converter again, before i could get music playing. The converted did install the vgm plugin and all the music was in the correct sub folder, but it simply would not play till i manually installed the aali driver.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-28 01:11:50 by Question »

Question

• View Profile
Re: Some issues...
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-29 18:16:30 »
Can someone please post the actual mega.co.nz links because the 7th heaven program simply will not download any large mods properly...it just hangs and never resumes them when teh program is restarted....

I honestly dont see the point of reinventing the wheel. I can download from mega.co.nz just fine by itself but the program keeps screwing it up.

And when downloading the program experiences a memory leak or something and just keeps using more and more memory to ridiculous amounts, which is probably why its hanging.
« Last Edit: 2016-09-29 18:20:48 by Question »

Question

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-29 19:04:42 »
Not sure if related to the naming screen key config problem, but i am unable to change the speed of the fort condor minigame. According to guides on the net, either the page up/down or page up/down + target/camera keys were supposed to change the speed, but no matter what i tried, the minigame speed stays at 4 bars.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-01 01:45:38 »
Alot of your issues sound like an improper install and convert.

The black bars are permanent and there is no fix. The downloads are being worked on. The keyboard issue may be because you didn't select yes for the numpad keyboard patch at the end when using the converter.

Question

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-01 15:11:05 »
There was nothing wrong with my install, the converter just refused to run because it thought that i didnt have admin access, when i did. And when i did get it to run, it wouldnt play music until i manually installed the aali driver thing, and the converter reported no errors.

Did you see the headless barret screenshot i posted?

Can you at least post up the download links so that i can download them directly then import them into 7th heaven?

Please clarify what the issue is with the "wrong" internal resolution.

What does the numpad keyboard patch do exactly? It is not explained in the 7th heaven tutorial. I have a numpad, but obviously i dont want the game to be switching to the default controls in the naming screen instead of using my customized controls.

Can you please update the tutorial as well to include the stuff i mentioned?

Why cant i increase the fort condor mini game speed? What exactly are the keys required to do that?

It would be great if you could answer the questions in detail. 2 lines does not give me a lot to work with.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-01 17:23:09 by Question »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-01 23:58:26 »
If it's not playing music, then Aali Driver from the game converter wasn't installed correctly. Since you edited the .bat, you're on your own from there. It's similar if people use a torrent copy of the game that has altered files. We create all mods here on the same game copy using the same tools. Once those change, we have to then duplicate the same changes to try and find a fix. It's too time consuming, thus we don't provide support for those cases. Sorry :( Perhaps you needed to run the GC in a different folder. Windows is weird in that we've seen a few cases of the access denied situation even when UAC off. Another note for you is that FF7DISC1 only needs to be seen on one drive, so mounting the ISO and renaming a HDD isn't correct. That might not affect you until you need to change discs though.

Yes, I saw the headless model. Quick rundown on how things work here. I'm not the author of most the mods. What I basically do is coordinate with any active authors to have their mods added and supported within the official 7H Catalog. If there's a bug with a mod reported, I'll then try to duplicate it. But I also need Profile Details posted so that I duplicate the same load order. This is stated at the end of the written tutorial. There are two scenarios in which a bug can't be fixed by me 1) I can't duplicate it 2) The mod author is no longer active. I'm your case, I can't duplicate so I'm unsure what to do. Your Profile Details might help me though (I pray it's just a load order issue).

No, I can't provide manual downloads right now. They're coming, just not yet. Once we can work out the compatibility feature with manual downloads, it'll be near perfect to incorporate both automatic and manual downloads. Auto updates might not work though sigh.

There is no real issue that is fixable. The black borders are hard coded and we have no mod to get rid of them. Everyone plays with them, or plays stretched to hide them off screen.

The numpad keyboard patch switches the default keys from the numpad to the keyboard instead. It's mainly used for people with laptops that don't have a numpad. Your case of the keys switching while naming is the first report ever. I have no idea why it's doing that.

Do you mean the written tutorial or the FAQ? I'm not sure what needs to be added into the tutorial, but the FAQ definitely needs an update. Too much work, too little time...eventually it'll all get done :)