Author Topic: Weapon/Armor/Accessory editing question (stats)  (Read 3754 times)

Marik

• View Profile
Weapon/Armor/Accessory editing question (stats)
« on: 2006-05-11 14:31:36 »
How would I go about editing the stats of weapons, armours and accessories? I was wondering how this is done. Because I'd like to try out certain things, like

- making the ultimate weapon (max atk, max atk %, max mag atk, instant death effect)
- making the ultimate armour (max def, max mag def, max def %, max mag def %, absorb all elements)
- making the ultimate accessory (grant all good status, negate all bad status)

Even if the above is in no way possible, how can I go about editing stats for them?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Weapon/Armor/Accessory editing question (stats)
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-11 15:30:14 »
Kernel.bin sections:
 - 6 for weapons
 - 7 for armours
 - 8 for accessories

dziugo

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-12 00:25:25 »
Thanks. Now what program(s) do I use to open Kernel.bin and go about (carefully, of course) editing them?

Can't wait to try this - the ultimate accessory! Grants Wall, Haste and Regen, while negating all bad status. Or the ultimate armour - max defences with absorption of all elements. Or the ultimate weapon - max attacks with instant death effect!

^--Just an example of what I wanna try out.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-12 13:52:35 »
Kernel.bin is just a bunch of gzipped files glued together, so you can edit them without any "programs". However, if you need them... I don't know any. I wrote some program to extract one section from window.bin (which has the same structure), but it's not very user-friendly :P

dziugo

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-12 16:36:29 »
I don't have anything on my computer right now that opens them in something I can understand. Should I download a hex editor?

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-12 16:56:08 »
That would be a good start. You also need to find a way to extract the section you need from the Kernel.bin. Then just ungzip it, make some changes (yeah, a hex editor), gzip it, update the header and pack it back. Scary? If not, try to do it and post your problems here. I'll try to help.

dziugo

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-13 08:44:16 »
I have an idea for the hex editing program - Cygnus Hex Editor. I've used it before (Lords Of Magic, Xenon 2) and it did it's thing right.

But as far as un-gzipping kernel.bin itself, and then re-gzipping it back up once I'm done, I don't have anything to do that. 7Zip can't do anything to it, and I don't think winrar or winzip could either. That's where I need help dude - I need something that can do the gzipping thing.

By the way, I'd like a bit of advice/criticism. These are my ideas for the ultimate equipment, and what I want to do with them via the hex editor:

Ultimate Weapons:
(weapon for template: characters' ultimate weapons)
- damage is normal and not affected by HP, MP, Materia, dead allies, or how many enemies you have killed
- the Attack stat is maxed (99/255?)
- the Attack % stat is maxed (99/255?)
- the weapon inflicts all status effects, or just Instant Death
- has 8 linked Materia slots
- Materia growth rate is tripled

Ultimate Armours:
(armour for template: Mystile)
- the armour absorbs all elemental damage
- Defense and Magic Defense are maxed (99/255?)
- Defense % and Magic Defense % are maxed (99/255?)
- has 8 linked Materia slots
- everyone can equip it

Ultimate Accessories:
(accessory for template: Ribbon)
- increases all stats to maximum (maximum stat bonus)
- casts Barrier, MBarrier and Haste at the start of every battle (is this possible?)[1]
- protects against ALL negative status (this does not include Regen, which is on the wiki list)
- can be equipped on everyone

[1] Basically, the idea is to have "Big Guard" (the effects, not the spell itself) at the start of every battle. Is it possible to include Regen too?

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-14 07:14:49 »
Any chances that you're familiar with C/C++? Or maybe debugging processes? Debugging would actually be easier, as no packing/unpacking would be needed and the changes will be applied immediately.

The items you want to create... Looks like fun :P

dziugo

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-14 08:52:53 »
Sorry mate, I have no idea about C++ or debugging. Never even touched that stuff (not scared, I just never have used it).

Yes they would be fun. Especially with that limit-break patch (imagine doing Omnislash with constant 30K damage hits).

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-14 13:32:27 »
Ar eyou just modifying the Ribbon's stats? Or are you making an entirely new accessory based off of the Ribbon?

Because if you're just modifying the Ribbon, then you'll have that accessory as early as the Temple of the Ancients. It'll suck the life right out of the rest of the game  :-P Or you can just not equip it, but still.