Miscellaneous Forums > Misc Audio

[FF6] [OPEN BETA] Dancing Mad - FF6 Audio Replacement using MSU-1

<< < (3/44) > >>

insidious611:
obesebear: I plan on doing more FF6 improvement after this, but I'm focusing on this for now and am not going to announce my next plan until after this is release-quality. I noticed FF6 getting a lack of love too, and wanted to fix that. :P

insidious611:
Today is a good day! We've finished the OCRemix album completely. Well, other than figuring out what to do about the Opera tracks, anyway.

Also, I may have fixed a couple bugs, but I'm not sure yet. Heck, I may have caused a bunch more. We'll see.

Hellbringer616:
Would it be possible to port this over to the GBA version? that is the version i play as it has a bit of extra content.

If not... Know of any hacks that port over the extra content? haha

Covarr:

--- Quote from: Hellbringer616 on 2015-04-27 19:50:02 ---Would it be possible to port this over to the GBA version? that is the version i play as it has a bit of extra content.

--- End quote ---
Nah, this isn't doable on the GBA for several reasons:

* This hack relies on the MSU-1 expansion chip for SNES, which completely bypasses the SNES' audio system. The GBA does not have the hardware to bypass its internal audio system, no matter what extra chips you may put on the cartridge. Streaming audio is not impossible, but it'd sound like crap routed through the GBA's audio hardware.
* A GBA cartridge is hard-limited to 32MB (256Mb). This project is going to be several gigabytes. Admittedly this is mostly due to uncompressed audio, but even with compression it'd have to be extremely low-quality on GBA to fit into 32MB. This would sound worse than what the GBA version of the game already has. As far as I'm aware, only one cartridge, Shrek 2 (literally just the movie), ever exceeded the 32MB limit, and it did so with some weird tricky bankswitching magic that wouldn't work with an actual game.
* Even if you could somehow compress the streaming music to fit and still maintain acceptable quality, the GBA is not equipped for realtime decompression. There's some homebrew MP3 players, but they are CPU-intensive enough as not to leave any room for anything else, such as gameplay.
Really, the only reason this is possible is because the SNES has an extra couple of pins that games don't use (except the Super Game Boy, which uses it to directly stream GB audio), which the MSU-1 chip takes advantage of; it is not limited by SNES restrictions. Without similar pins, it's not even possible to make a physical hardware expansion to make this possible on GBA.

--- Quote from: Hellbringer616 on 2015-04-27 19:50:02 ---If not... Know of any hacks that port over the extra content? haha

--- End quote ---
I remember reading about a hack that backports the GBA version's translation to SNES. Dunno if it was ever completed or what. AFAIK it didn't port any of the other extra content, though.

For what it's worth, there is a patch for the GBA version that ports the music from the SNES version (and possibly a better opera scene? I'm not sure, I never got that far with this patch). It's called Music Restoration patch, I think. It's not really the same as what we're doing, but it is definitely an improvement over the default audio which kinda sucked on the GBA port. I highly recommend looking it up. I'd provide a link, but my work internet blocks romhacking.net.

Hellbringer616:
No need, i already have a FF6 Advance patched with music, the palette correction, and a few bug fixes.

Once this is released i'll try and patch the patched GBA game, who knows, maybe it will work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version