Author Topic: Severe slowdown on certain screens when mods active  (Read 1206 times)

jmsalal

• View Profile
I'm running the Steam version of FFVII with the 1998 FFNx driver and notice significant slowdown when I load any mods, but only on certain screens.  Examples are the 2nd and 3rd screens of the game after getting off of the train, the first screen of Wall Market, and especially the 3rd screens up when climbing to Shinra HQ (where you install the first battery to move the propeller).  Curiously, the game runs at full 60 FPS on most screens but slows to molasses (5-10 FPS) on certain screens.  This seems to occur when I activate any mods, regardless of which.  With mods off, I don't get the slowdown.  My driver settings are default with the following exceptions:
I've tried disabling animated textures, AF, and MSAA and running the game at default resolution to no avail.  My HW setup is:

Ryzen 5900x
RTX 3900
128GB DDR4
Running from M.2 PCI 4.0 SSD that's just half full
Windows 10 Pro

I've tried disabling mods and re-enabling one at a time but cannot isolate a specific one.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
Re: Severe slowdown on certain screens when mods active
« Reply #1 on: 2022-02-13 01:14:45 »
Try turning off advanced animations in driver settings. Like all the screens you mentioned have animation. You did that already. Your system should really be able to handle it. Although we do run into problems with AMD in general. Try changing your graphics API in driver settings. try DX12 if you're using DX11 and vice versa.

JESUS CHRIST! Do you work for ILM or Weta Digital? Who in seven hells needs 128GB of ram?
« Last Edit: 2022-02-13 01:24:57 by Bonez »

Reiletuag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2022-02-13 08:29:47 »
Hi, exactly the same problem for me (AMD) and for my brother (Nvidia).

Lowering the resolution, disabling anti-aliasing, disabling advanced animation in the syw mod, switch graphics API, doesn't change the problem.

The problem was solved by limiting the mods management by 7th Heaven via .iro.
I extracted most of the mods and installed them directly in the game directory.

Now the game runs at 60 fps, with all visual options enabled.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-13 08:35:57 by Reiletuag »

jmsalal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2022-02-17 03:25:21 »
Try turning off advanced animations in driver settings. Like all the screens you mentioned have animation. You did that already. Your system should really be able to handle it. Although we do run into problems with AMD in general. Try changing your graphics API in driver settings. try DX12 if you're using DX11 and vice versa.

JESUS CHRIST! Do you work for ILM or Weta Digital? Who in seven hells needs 128GB of ram?

I tried manually setting the FPS to 30 and 15 inside FFNx.toml, and that seemed to help get past problem areas.  Seems odd that such slowdown would be an issue, though.

jmsalal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2022-02-17 03:28:22 »
Hi, exactly the same problem for me (AMD) and for my brother (Nvidia).

Lowering the resolution, disabling anti-aliasing, disabling advanced animation in the syw mod, switch graphics API, doesn't change the problem.

The problem was solved by limiting the mods management by 7th Heaven via .iro.
I extracted most of the mods and installed them directly in the game directory.

Now the game runs at 60 fps, with all visual options enabled.

Interesting.  How did you go about extracting the mod from .iro?  Did you put them in the same directory as ff7.exe?  Are you bypassing 7th Heaven entirely?