Author Topic: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement  (Read 170702 times)

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement
« Reply #200 on: 2010-07-23 16:33:25 »
Hummm... I know which part you're talking about. With that general area, given it just might be because it's a bit pixelated, on the field map those bricks seem a bit cracked up, old and musty, don't ya think? Maybe we should see some type of updated background as to see what you're trying to aim for, maybe... - -;;

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2010-07-23 19:04:07 »
Good point, it may be because its pixelated, but Ill try and make it look more like the field screen bricks if possible. I agree they shouldnt look brand new, but not super cracker, dirty either.

Im also working a way to randomize the brick pattern to where it isnt 100% patterned like that, give it some randomness ya know?

Taking that there is new interest in the project, I will continue work,

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2010-07-24 08:39:44 »
I think I might understand.  I kinda found some type of random bricks, regardless if it's a wall, in a certain order that you might be able to use as a reference. I don't think that the bricks should be ultra, super cracked up either, maybe the same as the picture.

Picture:
http://www.sharepointbrainfreeze.com/images/www_sharepointbrainfreeze_com/WindowsLiveWriter/UpgradingFeatureswithSharePoint2010_149F3/brickwall_2.jpg

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2010-07-24 09:19:26 »
Thanks clodus, lets see how it looks with that set-up, may still look a little too "perfect" though.

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2010-07-24 09:21:42 »
Haha, no problem at all man. I appreciate the work that you're doing, that I'm not able to do mind you.

EDIT: I found another picture of an actual brick road. It's somewhat the same color scheme and as you can see, it looks used (teehee...). Maybe within the modification to the bricks, you could try and add a little color disfiguration, like the paint is withering away because of how many people walk on those roads.

EDIT 2: Forgot to add the link... - -;;

http://images.travelpod.com/users/fletcherclaytor/puerto_rico-07.1170902040.dsc_0351.jpg

EDIT 3: Found more pictures of interest that might spark some types of ideas...

http://people.ku.edu/~jfdevlin/Lawrencefolder/BrickRoad.jpg (All of those cracks on the left, or upper left show lots of wear and tear.)
http://alloveralbany.com/images/yellow_brick_old_bricks.jpg (How there's dirt between the bricks, showing that a lot of people pass by carrying the dirt underneath their shoes.)
http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/scribbles/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img000751.jpg (Very up, close and personal with the detail of used bricks.)
http://www.jimgrey.net/Roads/NationalRoadIllinois/01g_Farm_Road.jpg (Looks like wear and tear from rain. It DOES rain in Midgar.)

Also, I couldn't find an image, but I was thinking of a bit of lowered areas or holes in the roads, maybe because of pressure pushing down on them or something...
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 09:52:52 by Clodus »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2010-08-21 18:34:19 »

im still working on this project, just at a slow pace. I started toying around with the battle arena yesterday. The new textures give it a slightly different feel than the originals, i went a bit more vibrant because the BA always seemed kinda muted for some reason. the pruple lava glow effects have yet to be added, so the floor will blend ranther than stand out like it is now.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2010-08-21 19:14:28 »
Nice, and whats this with you not using Avalanche overhaul?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2010-08-21 19:21:36 »
Nice, and whats this with you not using Avalanche overhaul?
i switch between 2 versions of ff7, on enhanced and one not. Makes it easier to mess with my LGPs and exporting whole projects when im not sidestepping other projects. Also, this laptop is barely able to run the overhaul, opening the menu is like molasses and so is the end of  battle EXP screen.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2010-08-21 20:11:41 »
Oh, well maybe v2.0 will help with loading.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2010-08-21 22:21:28 »

just a little more...luckily the chains still looks good, so i may not have to recreate them.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2010-08-22 14:09:58 »
Is there any way to make the water look like its below the bricks?
I suppose this would require remodelling the scene.
Just looks very flat is all.

Texture is looking good though, although it is hard to read the text on the floor.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2010-08-22 14:52:23 »
Is there any way to make the water look like its below the bricks?
I suppose this would require remodelling the scene.
Just looks very flat is all.

Texture is looking good though, although it is hard to read the text on the floor.

yes, lowering the water would require a remodel. I tried faking it but it just looks odd. I was toying with the idea of adding a border to the arena though, which "may" make it look a little better. The text is kinda hard to read in the shots, but its clear as day when full screen. I went with a more worn look rather than the original one, which looked like it was just painted on. Im trying for a slightly more serious look in the BA, while still staying true to the original.

lee

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2010-08-22 20:29:51 »
Imo, the ground tiles look a bit weird. Kinda like wood.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #213 on: 2010-08-23 20:43:34 »
I think it looks nice.
But will it look good if you added some bloodstains and scratches and such?
It is a battle arena, but I don't know, I was just brainstorming on it.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2010-08-23 21:19:12 »
Imo, the ground tiles look a bit weird. Kinda like wood.

im working on a more "stoney" look ATM, but its hard since the default palette is brown. I made a grey texture that looked great, but im trying to stick to the original assets to get this into a TA patch at some point.

I think it looks nice.
But will it look good if you added some bloodstains and scratches and such?
It is a battle arena, but I don't know, I was just brainstorming on it.

simple answer, yes. I have yet to add any real details, and ATM jeffdaman is doing his own thing to it so i will get to once i see what he has come up with.

lee

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #215 on: 2010-08-24 01:37:16 »
simple answer, yes. I have yet to add any real details, and ATM jeffdaman is doing his own thing to it so i will get to once i see what he has come up with.

lee
Nice, thanks for the feedback.
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.  ;)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2010-08-24 22:29:32 »

sweat, bloodstains, and scratches are added. I like the way they look, though i may have went a tad overboard. I also need to tone down the purple glow on the walls, its wayyyyy to big at the moment. Only really need to redo 2 more textures and then the rough draft is finished. I'll probably end up doing a LGP patch until better methods can be used to get this ingame.

Aali's driver will also be required.

lee

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2010-08-25 11:58:38 »
The lava is purple on the original game? Can't remember :/
Tho purple doesn't seem a good color imo.

The scratches and stains look good, just think the ground tiles need some tweak. Have nothing on the ground being made of wood but that texture just looks weird in my eyes. Maybe is too bright.

If you're going for wood, could you try something like this to see how it comes?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2010-08-25 16:13:22 »
ya the lava actually is purple :) i made a red version but it conflicts with the fieldyou see just before entering the arena...so i left it purple. the floor could be changed to wood altogether, since its hard to tell exactly what it was supposed to orignally be. i was going fo large sandstone blocks...but fell somewhat short. i agree it needs more work, but the file is still layered so ican change anything without altering the other stuff...ill work on it some more later today...im currently in the bathroom @ work :D

lee

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #219 on: 2010-08-25 20:26:25 »
Since this Battle scene is used in the field prior to the battle we could use it to generate a new flevel scene as well. Then It would match up perfectly.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2010-08-27 04:00:03 »
ya the lava actually is purple :) i made a red version but it conflicts with the fieldyou see just before entering the arena...so i left it purple. the floor could be changed to wood altogether, since its hard to tell exactly what it was supposed to orignally be. i was going fo large sandstone blocks...but fell somewhat short. i agree it needs more work, but the file is still layered so ican change anything without altering the other stuff...ill work on it some more later today...im currently in the bathroom @ work :D

lee

Well i never thought about it as being wood on the floor also. (i mean, wood and lava doesnt combine).
Always thought about it as some kind of dungeon with those cliché bricks it always have; something like super mario when fighting bowser with all the lava and bricks around it.

Kinda like:

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2010-08-29 12:14:52 »
Pyrozen can you post a link to your battle arena files?

Thanks

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #222 on: 2010-08-31 03:22:06 »
Hm, I like how that looks so far.
Is it too much if like say, there were some holes or tears within the floor?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2010-08-31 21:18:25 »
Hm, I like how that looks so far.
Is it too much if like say, there were some holes or tears within the floor?
im still working on wearing it a little bit more, but i dont want to go overboard

lee
Well i never thought about it as being wood on the floor also. (i mean, wood and lava doesnt combine).
Always thought about it as some kind of dungeon with those cliché bricks it always have; something like super mario when fighting bowser with all the lava and bricks around it.

I agree that would look cool, but as per TA guidelines im trying to stick as closely to  the original as possible, while updating the look. Once battle scenes are more easily replaced, i imagine we will start seeing all types of unique takes on them.

I am very near completeing this, but i am busy as hell working 10hr shifts. I will hopefully start a release thread next week so i can start putting these out. There are a few more i have been working on, but i haven't show any shots yet.

lee

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2010-08-31 21:32:52 »
Only complaint is that the bricks on the wall are two to three times as thick as they should be (looking at original texture. Seems out of place to me i guess haha. Otherwise looking good