Author Topic: 1:35 Soldier Quest  (Read 12039 times)

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
1:35 Soldier Quest
« on: 2010-04-16 20:04:04 »
Here is an idea, similar to the Parcel Quests on GTA games.

The idea is simple, we have 99 1:35 Soldiers hidden throughout the game and as a sort of minigame people have to collect all of them.  Just a bit of fun....  There are some real good places that they can be hidden too!

This will mean:

Editing placement of that item into game somehow (coordinates?)
Disabling 1:35 Soldier at the Speed Round.

Anyone have any idea if this can be done?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 1:35 Soldier Quest
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-16 22:15:06 »
Sure, this would be more than doable with Meteor. You could even have an NPC tell you your progress, and hand you an item in exchange for all ninety-nine.

The only issue is that Meteor is less than user-friendly, and that Synergy Blades is rarely around, so you'd be looking at a steep learning curve.

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-16 23:01:58 »
Sure, this would be more than doable with Meteor.

Or its alternative (Makou Reactor) which is partially in French unfortunately.

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-16 23:03:22 »
Hang on   sec, you are saying it is possible with these programs to place 99 items around the world in hard to find areas? 

myst6re

• View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-16 23:08:23 »
We can not do everything right with this editor, but at least you can edit the scripts. With Meteor you can also modify the walkmesh. It remains to load the 3D model of a soldier at all screens and it all (I think)!

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-16 23:49:57 »
I think it might be good idea to have 35, it'd be easier to implement in-game and perhaps a bit less tedious to program, however this is just a suggestion.

I remember the first time I used Meteor, I was amazed at the things it could do. It's really an amazing editor.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-17 00:52:05 »
Sure, this would be more than doable with Meteor.

Or its alternative (Makou Reactor) which is partially in French unfortunately.
Researching Makou Reactor now.

Meteor never got past v.2a IIRC, and if you're creating a program to pick up where Synergy Blades left off... well hot damn that is awesome news!

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-17 00:59:45 »
I think it might be good idea to have 35, it'd be easier to implement in-game and perhaps a bit less tedious to program, however this is just a suggestion.

I remember the first time I used Meteor, I was amazed at the things it could do. It's really an amazing editor.

It would probably have to be 99 (given the menu limit), also the 35 doesn't refer to 35 soldiers, it refers to the scale of the model item.  i.e. 35 times less in size 1:35.  

The decription reads: A set of 12 Shin-Ra armoured "Assault" Grenadiers..  So each one is basically a set of 12 ;) hence the original confusion thinking there are 12 in a set...

But yeah, I think it would be good to go all out and have 99 of em. or at least 50!

« Last Edit: 2010-04-17 01:01:23 by Colonel Ramsay »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-17 04:17:40 »

It would probably have to be 99 (given the menu limit), also the 35 doesn't refer to 35 soldiers, it refers to the scale of the model item.  i.e. 35 times less in size 1:35.  

The decription reads: A set of 12 Shin-Ra armoured "Assault" Grenadiers..  So each one is basically a set of 12 ;) hence the original confusion thinking there are 12 in a set...

But yeah, I think it would be good to go all out and have 99 of em. or at least 50!

I'm fairly certain everybody here already knew that. it would just make sense for 35 1:35 models to combine somehow an item that summons a real soldier to do an attack or something.

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-17 13:49:58 »
The real question is, how does one add an item to the maps and then  place dialogue with it to say the item has been received and then make sure that it really has been received....

That seems like no easy task?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-04-17 21:20:10 »

I'm fairly certain everybody here already knew that. it would just make sense for 35 1:35 models to combine somehow an item that summons a real soldier to do an attack or something.

Yes, I already knew that ^_^, one would have to be a total moron not to know that, considering the colon. And your idea is great titeguy! I just think 35 is a more acheivable goal for the people creating to the patch, and might also be less tedious for players. If they're hidden in really hard places, maybe make a few of them after-battle wins for new optional bosses, it'd really make it a beefy addition to the game. In my opinion, anyway.

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-04-19 01:21:42 »
That is true, could easily have a few (49?) of them found by monsters.  I think 50 is a nice round number for the field finding...and doesnt have to be seen as a chore since people have a choice :)

Well anyway, requires knowledge of how to actually do it, something I don't currently have...

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-19 05:52:46 »
Well, I don't think it's so difficult, let's make a TODO list to make this quest possible :

- create the 3D object and add it in the BSX file of the field (or at least, copy/paste it from another field file)
- add a new entity in the field script
- add the init script of this entity, which basically associate the entity to the 3D object
- add the main script of this entity, which position the entity on the field and display it or not, depending on a variable
- add the onTalk script of this entity, which add a 1:35 soldier item to the inventory and set the variable

For me, the only unknown data are :
- the variable to choose, it has to be not used by the game
- the field position of the object (for this, I think we need a walkmesh viewer which display ID and coord of the triangles, perhaps Meteor can do it ?)

Almost everything else can be done with Makou Reactor.

myst6re

• View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #13 on: 2010-04-19 10:01:25 »
- the variable to choose, it has to be not used by the game

Not a problem, in var manager (in MR), you can search the variables already used.

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-04-25 16:28:00 »
I can add 1:35 items into any field files and the player can receive it and it will go to the item menu.

The problem is, you can have 99 1:35 soldiers in the menu but you have to hack the ff7.exe or kernel to make them usable.

I think a good idea is to have the old man in kalm who gives the master materias, add a script and he will give you something after you have collected 99 1:35 soldier, but I don't know how to do this yet.

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-04-25 16:45:39 »
No not the old man, he is taken.  I think a better idea would be going to someone in Junon....possiblya  soldier who says he needs 99 of them for his collection or something....

But if you can add them that is a very good start, if you would work with me and we can go through areas we would like to see them placed?

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-04-25 18:19:15 »
I said so because I have done it before. Here is a picture of it I did a while ago.

The thing is, I have two problems. The first is that after you receive that 1:35 soldier, it will dissappear but if you exit the scene and revisit after, the soldier is still there. I guess it is because I need a "condition" script that the soldier will not show up after you receive it. Second problem as I mention in the previous post, I also don't know the condition script that if you have certain number of 1:35 soldiers you can talk to someone and get a reward. Since Meteor is in alpha version the scripts are in hex-editor like format and it is so confusinig to figure things out.

I think the 1:35 soldier quest is a good idea but to make it possible someone has to upgrade the program or I have to figure it through hex editing, which im not good at =\

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-04-25 19:16:12 »
Well it is a start!