Author Topic: Creating models  (Read 2775 times)

Final

Creating models
« on: 2010-05-02 21:43:39 »
Having never used a 3d modeling app before in my life, I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on which software I should start with? The obvious one seems to be Blender since it's free but I hear it's difficult to use? And I think I read that a few of you have only been modeling for a few months and your models look amazing so could you tell me which tutorials you learned from too? Seeing all the cool stuff in the Team Avalanche section has inspired me to try my hand at it. :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Creating models
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-02 21:58:25 »
I started with maya, which in my opinion has the best interface. As for tutorials i just played around with it until i figured it out

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-02 23:17:01 »
If you are new, I would say you try using the free 3D programs like Blender or Wings 3D. You don't know if it is hard to use unless you try the program yourself. But I agree Maya or 3DS Max have better user interface, the only thing is that you have to pay for it. The tutorials on using the 3D programs are really easy to find. Blender has its own tutorial wiki page. I believe the tutorials of 3DS Max is even included in the program.
You should also look into picture editing programs such as Gimp and Photoshop because 3d models need textures too. Also, the FF7 programs such as Kimera, Pcreator and Image2tex.

Good luck.

Final

« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-04 22:22:09 »
Thanks, here's a render of my first model.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/finalcloud2/firstmodelrender.jpg

I have no idea how to texture or anything yet, I'll wait until I'm better/faster at modeling or when I don't constantly have to look stuff up on the internet lol

I used these really good tutorials
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/low_poly_character/low_poly_01.php for the body (even though I think the jacket looks stupid)
http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/3d_modeling_of_a_human_head_3ds_max_01.html for the head

The problem is I used 10656 tris so I'll have to practise at using much less if I ever want to make FF7 models...

I was wondering do any of you have a head saved, which you remodel for every character you make? or do you always create a new one every time?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-04 22:25:27 »
Looks good. I suggest getting rid of the super shiny shirt though. Unless you are going for the latex look....

Final

« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-04 22:37:02 »
Haha I was just playing around with all the different materials, he was made of chrome before that  ;D

Final

« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-05 15:48:36 »
I'm looking through the battle.lgp with biturn, why does there seem to be multiple copies of each character battle model just with a different name?