Author Topic: Where to Start?  (Read 5362 times)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Where to Start?
« on: 2010-05-13 20:40:52 »
Okay, so I want to start modeling characters, weapons, items, monsters, backgrounds, basically anything in Final Fantasy VII. However, I have absolutely NO prior knowledge to any of this at all. Therefore, I need to know what programs to use, how to use them, where to get the models, how to add textures, etc. Basically, I need a MASSIVE tutorial on how to do EVERYTHING.

The only program I have right now is Autodesk 3ds Max and I have no idea how to use it.

So please direct me to some newb tutorials, or if you're brave enough, you could teach me yourself. If you do teach me yourself, then please act as if I don't know anything at all, because well I don't...

If this is posted somewhere on the forums already, I'm terribly sorry.

Micky

• View Profile
Re: Where to Start?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-13 20:51:37 »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-13 21:11:20 »
Of course...

Saw google and exited.

Any people who actually want to help?

Oh, Millenia told me to watch the Beretta 9000 video tutorial but part 1 link is down so...

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-14 00:34:16 »
Of course...

Saw google and exited.

Oh, Millenia told me to watch the Beretta 9000 video tutorial but part 1 link is down so...

Micky is right, use google first BEFORE asking for help, you will get flamed no matter what if you do not, it happens, happened to me too

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-14 02:59:33 »
Right after you start the 3d max program the essential skills movies window will pop up and it contains everything you want to know in user interface and creating 3d objects.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-14 18:31:26 »
Saw google and exited.
Umm, yes. And that's exactly the attitude why we're not enthusiastic about people who don't want to do basic research themselves. You'll probably lose interest once you find that there is actual work involved when creating 3D models.
You're welcome to ask specific questions about how to create artwork that can be used for real-time rendering, but nobody here, or in specific 3D modelling communities, has any interest in being a private tutor to some kid that comes in with his pirated copy of Max.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-14 19:22:27 »
Saw google and exited.
Umm, yes. And that's exactly the attitude why we're not enthusiastic about people who don't want to do basic research themselves. You'll probably lose interest once you find that there is actual work involved when creating 3D models.
You're welcome to ask specific questions about how to create artwork that can be used for real-time rendering, but nobody here, or in specific 3D modelling communities, has any interest in being a private tutor to some kid that comes in with his pirated copy of Max.

Nowhere in my post did I say I had a pirated copy of Max. In fact, I bought it legit. This stuff is too hard anyways so I quit.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-14 20:22:57 »
Saw google and exited.

Nowhere in my post did I say I had a pirated copy of Max. In fact, I bought it legit. This stuff is too hard anyways so I quit.
Really? New copies run for $3500, I doubt many people would pay that much for something only to quit.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-14 20:24:42 »
Saw google and exited.

Really? New copies run for $3500, I doubt many people would pay that much for something only to quit.

Well actually I didn't buy it, my brother did. He's into that 3D stuff. He might be able to do some modeling for you guys.

But I'm not really sure if I want him to. This community seems like a group of arrogant assholes.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-14 20:26:23 by DarkFang »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-14 21:41:50 »
Okay, so I want to start modeling characters, weapons, items, monsters, backgrounds, basically anything in Final Fantasy VII. However, I have absolutely NO prior knowledge to any of this at all. Therefore, I need to know what programs to use, how to use them, where to get the models, how to add textures, etc. Basically, I need a MASSIVE tutorial on how to do EVERYTHING.

The only program I have right now is Autodesk 3ds Max and I have no idea how to use it.

So please direct me to some newb tutorials, or if you're brave enough, you could teach me yourself. If you do teach me yourself, then please act as if I don't know anything at all, because well I don't...

I don't think you realize whom you're asking. You've come to a FF/SE modding forum to ask questions about basic operations of a 3D modeling program. That's not what this forum is for. "Noob tutorials" don't exist here. You go to the 3DS forums for that. They exist for the reason you're wanting.
The number of people that come here that actually know how to do these things probably wouldn't be good "instructors" in how to do these things anyway. Once you get the basics down they'd likely be happy to welcome another modeler to the scene.

Well actually I didn't buy it, my brother did. He's into that 3D stuff. He might be able to do some modeling for you guys.

But I'm not really sure if I want him to. This community seems like a group of arrogant assholes.

Of course...

Saw google and exited.

Within the first three results of that search there are sites to help people like you who know nothing. What's your problem with google? If you don't want to put the effort into learning how to do what you want to do then don't insult the people that ARE trying to point you in the right direction.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-14 21:47:48 »

I don't think you realize whom you're asking. You've come to a FF/SE modding forum to ask questions about basic operations of a 3D modeling program. That's not what this forum is for. "Noob tutorials" don't exist here. You go to the 3DS forums for that. They exist for the reason you're wanting.
The number of people that come here that actually know how to do these things probably wouldn't be good "instructors" in how to do these things anyway. Once you get the basics down they'd likely be happy to welcome another modeler to the scene.

Of course...

Saw google and exited.

Within the first three results of that search there are sites to help people like you who know nothing. What's your problem with google? If you don't want to put the effort into learning how to do what you want to do then don't insult the people that ARE trying to point you in the right direction.

Eh... you may be right but oh well.