Author Topic: Aali's driver [v 0.7.7] Help/Bugs/Suggestions  (Read 108964 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Re: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8
« Reply #125 on: 2010-05-09 16:34:27 »
Oh look ! Another annoying noob asking for help !  :P
I know what you're thinking. "Hey, noob, noticed that it's page 85 ? I'm sure you'll find how to fix it in there". But believe it or not : I looked, tried many things, but the game still crashes after the Eidos screen, with the legendary "Oops, something very bad happened".

Okay, here is the whole story : I had to re-install FFVII completely, and proceeded to patch it with many mods. But I made sure to do it step by step, by always creating a back up of the previous file(s), just in case.

Anyways, after installing a couple patches with Yamp as well as the NPC Reconstruction mod, the crash appeared. Please take note that FFVII worked perfectly with Aali's ff7_opengl-0.7.5b (yeah, I'm using 7.5b) before that.

So, noticing this, I decided to "erase" those patches by restoring the original FF7.exe as well as the many files the NPC Reconstruction patch modified. But still the same crash.

Then, I tried to launch the game without the Custom Driver, in FF7Config. No crash. I took a look at the log, and noticed that the game was looking for all save-files, from save00.ff7 to save09.ff7 in the save directory. So, I duplicated my first save until all those files were created... ...to no avail.

Now I'm lost.

EDIT :

Yeah, I edit my message before even posting it. Anyways, I tried with FF7_opengl-0.7.7b, and the game works. Meaning I get past the Eidos screen and can load a game, but the game crashes at the start of a battle (with the same "oops, something very bad happened" message). Also, I have a lot of yellow and red notifications while in the field, at the bottom of the screen, saying that the game couldn't find PNG and RSD files. Here is a screenshot, to show you what I mean.

And here is my app.log :

Code: [Select]
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.7b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon X1950 Pro 2.1.7278 Release
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1000x1000, output resolution 1000x1000, internal resolution 1280x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r21874, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Synthé. SW table de sons GS Mic, mid=1, pid=102,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\midi\midi.lgp
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
MIDI INITIALIZED
set music volume: 127
MIDI set volume: 127
100% of 127 = 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
100% of 127 = 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: I:\FF7\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
MIDI set volume trans: 127->0; step=60
MIDI stop - OK
MIDI stop - OK
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
100% of 127 = 127
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usal_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlal_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlcl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: BattleText/btldl_00.png
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usah_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbh_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlah_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbh_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlch_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: BattleText/btldh_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: WMRP/menu/buster_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbh_01.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usah_14.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbh_14.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlah_01.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usah_12.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbh_12.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbh_07.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: BattleText/btldh_07.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usah_10.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbh_10.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usal_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlal_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlcl_00.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: BattleText/btldl_00.png
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usal_12.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbl_12.png
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
ERROR: failed to find file char/AAAF1.RSD (LGP) (path: )
ERROR: offset error: AAAF1.RSD
ERROR: could not open file AAAF1.RSD
ERROR: failed to find file char/AAAF2.RSD (LGP) (path: )
ERROR: offset error: AAAF2.RSD
ERROR: could not open file AAAF2.RSD
MIDI play: 36
reading midi file: ROCKET.mid
current volume: 127
MIDI is playing SUCCESSFULLY!!!
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usal_04.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbl_04.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlbl_01.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usal_14.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: FieldText/usbl_14.png
GLITCH: missing external texture: MenuArt/btlal_01.png
WM_CLOSE
Field Quit
MIDI stop - OK
resetting MIDI driver volume - OK
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD

If no one can help me, I think I'll just reinstall the game without using Yamp. Because, if I had to issue a guess, I'd say that the Custom Driver doesn't like ff7.exe to be modified (because yes, with Software Renderer, the game works fine - even though it's ugly).

Also, below is the beginning of my ff7_opengl.cfg file. Something tells me I should write a path to this mod directory, but I don't know what to type. Shouldn't the game try to load the textures and all from the data directory without asking for a path ?...

# ff7_opengl config file

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = none

EDIT 2 :

I completely reinstalled the game, and I experienced the original crash again (the one that occur trying to display the "New Game / Continue" screen). This time, I'm SURE it has to do with the NPC Recontruction patch, somehow (since I didn't use YAMP this time)... ...Problem is, once again, replacing modded files with originals don't solve the problem. It's like my game is now irrevocably f***** up with the Custom Driver  :cry:

Anybody has an idea ?

With Aali's 0.7.5b, the APP LOG looks like this :

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.5b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r21874, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon X1950 Pro 2.1.7278 Release
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1000x1000, output resolution 1000x1000, internal resolution 1280x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Synthé. SW table de sons GS Mic, mid=1, pid=102,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\midi\midi.lgp
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
MIDI INITIALIZED
100% of 127 = 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
100% of 127 = 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: I:\FF7\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
MIDI set volume trans: 127->0; step=60
MIDI stop - OK
MIDI stop - OK
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
100% of 127 = 127
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save00.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save01.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save02.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save03.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save05.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save06.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save07.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save08.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE E:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save09.ff7
WM_CLOSE
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Field Quit
MIDI stop - OK
resetting MIDI driver volume - OK
UNINITIALIZE DD

...But here is a screenshot of my save folder. God, this makes no sense...
« Last Edit: 2010-05-09 19:29:03 by Armorvil »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2010-05-09 20:43:42 »
Try downgrading to v0.7.3b

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2010-05-09 21:03:57 »
Thank you very much for the advice Titeguy, I'll try this ASAP. :)

EDIT :

Damn ! Same problem :(

The funny thing is, I had a computer crash, and I wanted at first to use your Remix patch (since it works great). But impossible to download it all in one go, the server always made the download stop at around 35%... ...Seriously, if you had another download link, you'd make my life much easier :)
« Last Edit: 2010-05-09 21:15:30 by Armorvil »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2010-05-09 22:22:12 »
If you have the same problem even after downgrading, then that means that it has nothing to do with the save folder... and probably nothing to do with the Custom driver for that matter. One of your game files might be corrupt.

Also, I'd kick myself if I didn't remind you that in order to downgrade to 0.7.3b properly, you should probably replace the FF7Config.exe from the later version with the one from the 1.02 official patch (did you remember to install that, btw?), since that feature wasn't implemented yet as of that version, and also run FF7OpenGL.reg with user account control turned off.

If you're still experiencing issues, you should probably list off all the mods you installed and in what order...

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-05-09 22:46:47 »
If you have the same problem even after downgrading, then that means that it has nothing to do with the save folder... and probably nothing to do with the Custom driver for that matter. One of your game files might be corrupt.

Yeah, I think so too. After all, the problem occured when I replaced the originals battle.LGP, char.LGP, flevel.LGP, menu.LGP, chocobo.LGP and worldus.LGP... ...But since the problem still exists after reverting all those files to the old ones, I'm at a loss...

Also, I'd kick myself if I didn't remind you that in order to downgrade to 0.7.3b properly, you should probably replace the FF7Config.exe from the later version with the one from the 1.02 official patch (did you remember to install that, btw?), since that feature wasn't implemented yet as of that version, and also run FF7OpenGL.reg with user account control turned off.

Yeah, I noticed that. I replaced the FF7Config file, but the problem is still there. And since I'm running Windows XP SP2 as an administrator, the user account control is of no importance.

Anyways, it's well past midnight in my part of the world, and I think that I'll just try to re-download your FF7Remix Patcher tomorrow, and reinstall the game from scratch in the evening. Last time the Remix Patcher did wonders... ...Have a good night, and thank you for trying to help :) I can see you're not a troll at all, so I guess you were just tired of replying to noobs earlier and just needed to take a break. Something I understand completely  ;) Oh, and I forgot to tell you that WhiteChoco is all kinds of amazing - I was waiting for such a tool and you made me happy  ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-05-09 22:52:07 by Armorvil »

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2010-05-10 02:27:13 »
Firstly, does anyone remember back in the day when I suggested that this driver get its own subforum due to its popularity and the confusion of supporting it? Well, this is now the longest thread in the forums. Just wanted to point that out.

Anyway, I have the same issue with 0.7.7b that Shoe had a few pages back, which is that the game seems to crash when entering a random battle just after the battle swirl. End of APP.LOG looks like this:
reading midi file: BAT.mid
current volume: 127
MIDI is playing SUCCESSFULLY!!!
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 399
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
ERROR: unhandled exception

The installation is just FF7 + Remix Patch + Aali's Driver 0.7.7b

APP.LOG and crash.dmp are in a zip at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWA1XZ6O

EDIT:
It should be noted that the save file for that game was made before I installed the Remix Patch. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but when I start a new game with my patched FF7, everything seems to work correctly. It's probably not related, but I thought it was worthy of note.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-10 03:40:31 by arew264 »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2010-05-10 20:42:10 »
+1 on giving Aali's driver it's own subforum. It would make troubleshooting much easier as well as being able to sticky a release thread.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2010-05-10 21:36:52 »
+1 on giving Aali's driver it's own subforum. It would make troubleshooting much easier as well as being able to sticky a release thread.

Very this. Seeing how Aali's driver is also one of the main attractions at these forums AND (im going to guess) the most used,  it also makes sense.
It at least deserves a sticky.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2010-05-10 22:00:03 »
I figured my problem out, at the very least : Aali's 0.7.7b custom driver doesn't like changes to the char.lgp and battle.lgp files. Actually, since the 0.7.7b version looks for the textures in their own folder (conveniently named Textures, in the main directory), bad stuff happen if they're not in there.

Since I managed to find a Texture folder full of .png files, the game works fine. No missing textures and such. But if you use, for example, a custom Field Cloud model (such as kula_wende's AC Cloud), then the game won't like the fact that Cloud's blinking animation has disappeared (not a big deal though - you only get a notification at the bottom of the screen, and you can disable it in the config). But worst : if you add a battle custom character model, then the battles won't load at all...

I *think* the driver looks for Cloud's blinking animation, but does the filename AAAF2.RSD ring a bell to anyone ? AAAF.RSD exists, in the original char.lgp, but AAAF2.RSD sure doesn't. Why would the Custom driver look for files that don't originally exist ?...

I'd use an earlier version of the driver, but I think I'll keep it at that (I'm now afraid to manipulate such sensitive components :P). Besides, the improved size of the battle screens (as well as the transparent menus) rock.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-10 22:02:27 by Armorvil »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2010-05-10 23:37:35 »
I *think* the driver looks for Cloud's blinking animation, but does the filename AAAF2.RSD ring a bell to anyone ? AAAF.RSD exists, in the original char.lgp, but AAAF2.RSD sure doesn't. Why would the Custom driver look for files that don't originally exist ?...
AAAF2.RSD is a fault in creating the field model's .HRC.   By default Kimera will create these files so in order to clean it up the creator has to go back through and rename the files like this to AAAF.RSD.   It's not a fault in the driver.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2010-05-11 12:51:55 »
anyone feel like uploading a zipped version of their full saves by chance? Got an error with the current version I think it has to do with the saves.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2010-05-11 14:24:28 »
anyone feel like uploading a zipped version of their full saves by chance? Got an error with the current version I think it has to do with the saves.

Just copy your first save 9 times, and rename them.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2010-05-11 17:07:56 »
Is there a way to adjust the bloom or post-processing in the config file? When enabled it's just too strong (atleast on my system). Details really pop with it (which looks great), but other spots just do it too much. The Eidos logo for example comes off really, really bright.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2010-05-12 12:45:08 »
open up the .post file in the shaders folder with notepad/wordpad/anytexteditor

You'll get something like this...

// very simple bloom shader, shamelessly stolen from http://myheroics.wordpress.com/

uniform sampler2D tex;
uniform float width;
uniform float height;

void main()
{
   vec4 sum = vec4(0);
   vec2 texcoord = vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]);
   int j;
   int i;

for( i= -1 ;i < 1; i++)[
   {
        for (j = -2; j < 2; j++)

{
            sum += texture2D(tex, texcoord + vec2(j, i)*0.004) * 0.25;
        }
   }
       if (texture2D(tex, texcoord).r < 0.3)
    {
       gl_FragColor = sum*sum*0.012 + texture2D(tex, texcoord);
    }
    else
    {
        if (texture2D(tex, texcoord).r < 0.5)
        {
            gl_FragColor = sum*sum*0.009 + texture2D(tex, texcoord);
        }
        else
        {
            gl_FragColor = sum*sum*0.0075 + texture2D(tex, texcoord);
        }
    }
}

You can edit the numbers in the red text section to lower the intensity of the bloom.

The default values in that red will be different to what you see above though.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-12 12:46:49 by Tekkie.X »

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2010-05-12 19:05:12 »
Thanks Tekkie, I'll start messing with it right now. :)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2010-05-12 19:25:39 »
You can also edit the files in the shaders folder?? Didn't know that. Really glad someone asked about this stuff. :)
« Last Edit: 2010-05-12 19:29:12 by nikfrozty »

AngeBleu

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2010-05-13 13:39:39 »
Is it possible to make an option for the next version (7.8b), to hide all messages (red, yellow...) during we play FF7 please ?  :)

Thanks in advance  :-D
« Last Edit: 2010-05-13 14:16:12 by AngeBleu »

kela51

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/killakela51
« Reply #142 on: 2010-05-13 14:23:44 »
Is it possible to make an option for the next version (7.8b), to hide all messages (red, yellow...) during we play FF7 please ?  :)

Thanks in advance  :-D

very good idea!! ;) ;)

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2010-05-13 22:43:46 »
A version that accepts modded files would also be great. Because, with v7.7b, every time I want to use a different Kernel.bin or a different Battle.lgp (to only name a few), the game crashes on start-up.

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2010-05-14 18:14:17 »
If you use unlgp/lgp command by aali to create the battle.lgp it will probably not crash the game anymore.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2010-05-14 19:52:24 »
If you use unlgp/lgp command by aali to create the battle.lgp it will probably not crash the game anymore.

WOW !! That was it !  ;D Thank you very much, Refoopseman, you rock !
Any idea why my very own custom Kernel.bin doesn't work, though ?

EDIT :

I ran a couple tests, and I noticed that the problem comes from Kernel2.bin, not Kernel.bin.

EDIT 2 :

Gah, I figured it out, never mind. Silly me, I didn't realize Kernel2.bin was limited in size... ...I just had to delete some useless descriptions, and here it is, FFVII in its full glory ! ;D
« Last Edit: 2010-05-14 21:37:24 by Armorvil »

AngeBleu

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2010-05-15 10:32:26 »
when I open "APP.LOG", Many files are "broken"
"GLITCH: broken p file: vertextype == VERTEX in ............."
So I want to solve the problem but I don't know How to solve them  :(
Can you help me please ?

Thanks in advance :)

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2010-05-15 13:10:36 »
broken p files?? Have you added any mods recently??

AngeBleu

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2010-05-15 16:57:53 »
broken p files?? Have you added any mods recently??
yes, so how can I fix them ?
« Last Edit: 2010-05-15 17:18:31 by AngeBleu »

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2010-05-15 18:04:00 »
Before you have installed the mods you should have saved some backups and use them instead. If not replace all of the .lgp in your main ff7 folder with the original ones and see if your problem still occurs before you mod them.

EDIT:I have no problem with the driver in FF7 but in FF8 i get a lot of Oops, Something went wrong or something and I know it is random but is there anyway to decrease or minimize this problem by turning off some aspect in the .cfg files??
« Last Edit: 2010-05-18 00:03:53 by nikfrozty »