Author Topic: FF7 Voices - assessing interest  (Read 35418 times)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: FF7 Voices - assessing interest
« Reply #25 on: 2014-07-12 16:16:08 »
The person who was supposed to be doing that stuff for the FF8 project has apparently vanished from the face of the planet. I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend picking up the slack, but next week we can get things started.

As someone who has led a few projects ranging from 6 all the way up to 25 people I can tell you that this happens an awful lot the moment something starts to resemble work you'd expect to get paid for. And that is always the case with projects like this. You'd best prepared for people to do this a lot to you.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-07-12 16:26:02 »
I agree.  When I was doing the retranslation project, initially there were around 5 people interested in translating the Japanese text.  And that dropped down to 2.  And within a few weeks, it was 1.

People are generally happy to help until they realize how serious the project is, or how hard it is. Then they become an excuse machine or just disappear.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-07-12 19:44:57 »
Actually, she just moved, so something probably happened during the move that prevented her from being available the past 2 weeks. She knew what she was getting into, she manages the FFVIIIVoice fandubs.

sonickenshin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-07-25 04:10:12 »
I know a friend that is planning on a FFVII fandub who would probably love to have him and his cast put something together (course its ultimately up to him to go for it or not), if the tools are publicly available to use and stuff. He can probably handle the direction and audio and stuff, if he does go for it.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-25 04:19:42 by sonickenshin »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-07-25 17:57:19 »
It would be better for the community as a whole if we pooled our resources. I have a lot of very talented actors working on FF8 right now and I haven't even finished the cast list. Some of them have expressed interest in doing voices for FF7 as well. Have your friends and his cast audition when the project goes up, which will probably be sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-07-27 06:56:55 »
Well. This section has made my day and hopefully I'll make yours.

Hi there, just call me Aussie. I am a voice actor, voice and casting director. I'm a singer too but I doubt that's necessary here :P. I've been training to be an actor ever since I could learn math. I have been voice acting not long after I left highschool and voice directing a bit later than that. I not only can find you a full cast for FF7 but I have already have nearly an entire cast assembled (for another project that is slowly coming together.) All of them passionate at what they do, some of them in the big game (Shudo Ranmaru and Sarifus anyone? ;) ) and a lot of them sounding similar or close to the official actors while making it their own, as well as a few, very good original takes on some characters.

I won't be of any help in terms of coding, I will be honest about that. I also won't say about the time frame due to, well of course this being all volunteer work and people need to make a living and all that jazz but I will say this: I will have the lines done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I would love to be of service to this if it goes ahead, and I promise nothing less that top, professional quality too.

I know this is coming off as a formal pitch but I really do hope to be a part of this if it goes ahead. I love FF7 too much and let's face it: This is the closest we will ever get to a remake and personally: I'm more than happy with that. Especially since dedicated fans are doing it.

see you soon!

Also, I just saw fluffybumthecat's FF7 sound effects test video and it's amazing! PLEASE use him!
« Last Edit: 2014-07-28 01:34:53 by Aussieroth »

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 2014-07-29 07:46:16 »
Well, as mentioned, I don't have the time to run the project, but will certainly provide programming support. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm basically just waiting to see if anyone can / will begin work on things.

If you do want to start putting a script / plan / cast together, then I'd suggest just going for it and posting here about anything you do so other people can comment on things.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #32 on: 2014-07-29 14:27:15 »
Are you Aussieroth7???

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-07-30 02:55:47 »
Are you Aussieroth7???

That's me :)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-07-30 03:13:16 »
You have immediately win the parts for Hojo and Sephiroth. :-D The voice between father and son is most times equal and you can reflect both characters pretty perfect (after I saw Kefka I thought that's Hojo, maybe he's good for Sephiroth as well. And then Bam! I saw (hear) Sephiroth with your voice  :-D. There is no other option it has to be you for them).

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-07-30 07:10:03 »
You have immediately win the parts for Hojo and Sephiroth. :-D The voice between father and son is most times equal and you can reflect both characters pretty perfect (after I saw Kefka I thought that's Hojo, maybe he's good for Sephiroth as well. And then Bam! I saw (hear) Sephiroth with your voice  :-D. There is no other option it has to be you for them).

Wow... you have just made my day a million times over, thank you :). If this goes ahead I wholeheartedly accept Sephiroth. I also hope to be the voice director too, to lighten the load for you.

As for Hojo... You think I'd be good for Hojo? I know another guy who is amazing as Hojo, and I mean Heath Ledger's Joker incredible: CumQuaT1337. Yeah the guy who created and directed Malevolence: Sword of Ahkranox. In my opinion he makes the perfect Hojo, and once I am able, I will prove it.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-30 07:13:56 by Aussieroth »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-08-13 21:18:01 »
This is for DLPB, because I can't PM him.

As you know, Aussieroth and I would like to use your translation as a base for the script we will use for the FF7 voiceover project. However, that mod isn't downloadable anywhere I can find, and your thread says to wait for the next release of Reunion. Do you have any idea when that will be? Our audition post and deadline will change based on when we will have access to that dialogue. There's no hurry, we just want to know what our timetable will look like. Thanks.

It would also be helpful to know what dialogue you haven't translated yet, if any.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-08-13 23:50:50 »
I can't provide a timeline, but I can tell you exactly where it stands at the moment:

The whole game has been fully retranslated, and the release is pending the an update to Luksy's tool touphScript, which is in progress right now. In the mean time, DLPB is taking the opportunity to make another pass through the game and identify any problems which he and I may have missed in past proofreads.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-08-14 00:51:34 »
Thanks Covarr. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-08-14 11:51:02 »
Thanks Covarr. I guess we'll just have to wait.

But at least the wait will be worth it.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #40 on: 2014-08-14 21:38:07 »
I've wanted to try out for Rufus since I heard about this. Where should I sign up?

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-08-14 23:36:14 »
I've wanted to try out for Rufus since I heard about this. Where should I sign up?

We'll show you once we have the thread up.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-08-15 03:39:23 »
Our current problem is we can't start auditions until we know when we'll have access to the script. We don't want to cast everyone and tell them "k guys now wait."

Salvy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-08-15 04:57:02 »
I just stumbled upon this post now and am very intrigued with potentially becoming a part of this. I've actually practiced impersonating Cid's, clouds, Zack's, Rufus's, Tseng's, and red 13's voices. I think I'll post a video of them on YouTube within the next week or so. I can't now because I've got the sniffles ;) But that could actually be beneficial for Zack's and Reno's voices

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-08-15 15:33:32 »
But that could actually be beneficial for Zack's and Reno's voices
It seems like it would, but trust me, a stuffy nose makes a Quinton Flynn impression harder. It's a particularly odd brand of nasal that kinda wavers on and off, sometimes mid-sentence.

Salvy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-08-15 15:40:58 »
It seems like it would, but trust me, a stuffy nose makes a Quinton Flynn impression harder. It's a particularly odd brand of nasal that kinda wavers on and off, sometimes mid-sentence.
Hmm, yeah I tried recording myself on my phone it just sounded a little tacky - too much stuffed nose voice....... So what is the plan if this gets enough interest from potential voice actors, and assuming you get access to the script?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-08-15 16:48:23 »
So what is the plan if this gets enough interest from potential voice actors, and assuming you get access to the script?
I'm confident we can get access to the script, once Beacause R02 is released, though due to the nature of Beacause, some decisions will need made (canon names vs. accurate translated names, spells, etc). This won't affect nameable party members, obviously, but for characters like Reno (correct translation Leno), this could make a big difference.

I'm not entirely sure what the work structure on this project is going to be outside the voice acting itself. I intend to do the boring stuff, checking filenames, etc., and am up for any audio editing that needs done, such as correcting levels, EQ, etc., depending on how much free time Shard and Aussieroth have (I'm confident they both have the needed technical ability here). Ficedula has volunteered for any programming work needed (thank goodness), though hopefully that won't be too much beyond what he's already released; we'll have to deal with any issues as they come up, as it's too early to tell what we might run into.

In terms of immediately after script is available, as far as I get the distinct impression Aussieroth is going to handle casting. The specifics would be up to him, but I'd imagine it works out similar to how Shard's FF8 casting did, with casting calls being posted on a few VA sites, as well as notifications sent to people who have done FF7 voice related projects in the past and might be interested about said casting calls.

Once auditions are finished, Aussieroth will handle management, scheduling, etc., and (I think?) Shard will be doing actual voice direction? I'm not entirely sure on the specifics here, but one way or another it'll get worked out.

At this point, the big issue is just that it's impossible to work out a timeframe until Reunion R02 is released. While he waits for a touphScript update he's doing another runthrough for a chance to polish it just a little more. Once that's done, if touphScript's new version still isn't ready, I'll ask him about letting us use his raw text files as a stopgap to work from until it's actually released.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 2014-08-15 19:13:22 »
Bear in mind that - IMO - having a 100% totally polished in every way script to work from isn't really critical.

The script will be used as a reference for what to record. Minor punctuation issues that you'd want to fix in the Reunion project are kind of irrelevant to Voices. Also, as I understand it, it's very likely that some of the dialogue will get changed to make it quite literally sound better. Dialogue that reads fine sometimes sounds kind of rubbish when you have to actually listen to a real person say it.

So while it's not my decision, I'd personally be in favour of cracking on with the project rather than waiting for a theoretically (as) perfect (as it could be) script that's only going to undergo further edits anyway for a voicing project.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-08-15 20:23:18 »
I agree. The Reunion 01 was all most very good, the only flaws were wrong choice windows.
However it is also needed to discuss where voice needs to be added where no text box is. The interventions of the Jenova cells of Cloud or the people in Midgar when the rocket hit the Meteor came into my mind.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-08-15 20:26:54 »
Aussie and I will be doing the casting and directing together. He's in Australia, and I'm in the US, so we'll always be able to have a session with any given actor at any time of day. We plan on splitting the sessions up that way, and doing a few of them together for the more important dialogue.

The English script is so badly translated that our choices are to either relocalize the whole game ourselves (which is a lot of work), or wait for Beacause. I've seen some videos of the mod in action and the dialogue is vastly better. The original text is just bad. It's an order of magnitude worse than FF8's dialogue. It's not just spelling and grammar errors - there are far more Japanese phrases that were translated directly and make no sense in English ("Here I am, miss Yuffie" when you defeat a Pagoda boss). Trust me, we're as eager to start this as anyone else, it's just not doable using the original text.

If we could get a current or recent version of Beacause, we could start with that.