Author Topic: FF7 Voices - assessing interest  (Read 35417 times)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FF7 Voices - assessing interest
« on: 2014-07-07 20:05:20 »
So as per this topic there's some interest in reviving the FF7 Voices project, and I've coded up basic tools necessary for the project. But there's no point continuing unless there's sufficient interest for the project to actually get anywhere.

So are people interested? Probably most important other than, you know, people to actually voice characters, is somebody with the time, skills and interest to actually direct/manage the project ... I don't mind handling the technical programming aspects, but I have no audio experience.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Voices - assessing interest
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-07 20:34:34 »
I can voice generic NPC's. Sadly life will keep me from doing a main character role :/ But i have high interest, Just a bad time for the next few months for me

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-07 20:37:44 »
*Obligatory comment about doing a good Quinton Flynn impression and wanting to voice Reno*

The technical and audio side of things is surprisingly easy. Voice acting doesn't typically need a lot of post-production work. Voice direction, on the other hand, can be a real challenge; it requires both an understanding of voice acting and good people/management/organization skills. If it were just about coaching acting, I'd volunteer myself, but I can't be a main point of content for a project this big. I just don't have it in me.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-07 21:02:56 »
Without opening my mouth up too big...

I'd be willing to assist anyone who wants to do the main casting/management. I'm already pretty deep in the FF8 VO project and I don't know if I'd have the time or the sanity to lead both projects at once.

My voice isn't very versatile, but I have a nice mic and I'm a pretty good actor (did a bunch of theater when I was in college, plus an independent movie). Maybe I'll audition for something small.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-08 03:37:15 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:58:47 by dkma841 »

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-08 06:45:34 »
I think you should just focus on main character voices first only and NPC's till last would be more manageable and efficient.. Not sure if my voice will go with any character and I think my phone mic is better than my webcams would need to use noise removal software

Ironically, it's probably easier to do a lot of the background NPCs, because they often just have a couple of lines and don't really interact with the party, so you can record them independently without having to make it sound right in response to / alongside the party's dialogue.

But nobody's really interested in downloading a project that voices a bunch of the random NPCs and not the main characters ;)

But before casting main characters, we're back to the question of who can direct the project - because without that, the project goes nowhere; and really you have to give that person final say on casting anyway.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-08 15:35:11 »
I can do the directing, as long as someone else does the management (the casting, getting a list of lines,  etc). I'd also be willing to help out in some of the management, perhaps coming up with audition lines and maintaining the audition forum threads and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-08 16:33:30 by Shard »

Akabi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-09 03:37:30 »
Hello, I'm that famous person you've never heard about >_>
So, I'm here because I live with the Mayo Master... so I kinda been hearing a lot about the project. I was wondering if I could help in anyway. I spent three years of my life preparing and training to be a professional, honest to goodness voice actress... and then I moved to a country where I cannot work because I have a pronounced foreign accent. YAY.
But I do have some experience with this kind of projects, so I dunno if I could help.

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-09 06:47:08 »
My normal speaking voice has a slightly country accent. (Southern united states.)
If that could help with any characters or npcs id be down. Would consider a main character as well if it. (I could alter my speech to mask the accent easily.)
Ive been looking to give back to this forum in some way for awhile now!

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-09 08:20:57 »
@Akabi, @Lionsmane - thanks; keep an eye on this thread and hopefully you'll hear any news if there is any...

I can do the directing, as long as someone else does the management (the casting, getting a list of lines,  etc). I'd also be willing to help out in some of the management, perhaps coming up with audition lines and maintaining the audition forum threads and stuff like that.

Thanks. Since you're already running the FF8 project, perhaps you can clarify for us exactly what management jobs we need somebody to step up and do?

Covarr's indicated he doesn't mind handling admin, collating files and verifying they're named correctly, and so on. I'm certainly fine to help on the technical side of things - making a central file repository available, setting up any hosting that's required, and altering the tools to make life easier for whoever's running things. What I don't have time to do necessarily is the ongoing project management - e.g. setting up times for recording sessions, checking who's available, planning what scenes will be recorded based on who's available (with a backup plan for when some people aren't available after all...)  - is that the sort of job we need someone to do?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-09 10:43:34 »
lol I have a Greek accent and lol @Akabi about the job. What's your native language and what country did you move in?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-09 15:19:32 »
Thanks. Since you're already running the FF8 project, perhaps you can clarify for us exactly what management jobs we need somebody to step up and do?
Basically, that person will have to prepare all the dialogue they want recorded (including how they should be named or organized), keep track of the cast's email/skype, and schedule recording sessions for individual actors and myself (you don't record them together, it's way too hard to coordinate, and it's also a colossal waste of time).

They will also have to do most of the casting process, though I can help with that a little, depending on how much spare time I have.

I can do any audio editing and file naming on my end before I send the files to whoever's collecting them, so they don't need any audio skills. They just have to love spreadsheets.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-09 22:16:34 by Shard »

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-09 21:04:56 »
Id like to help anyway I can, You can hear what I sound like from my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XenSavage I would be open to a main character role if there is any I could prob do Red Xiii with a little practice I am pretty good at impressions

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-09 21:57:51 »
Id like to help anyway I can, You can hear what I sound like from my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XenSavage I would be open to a main character role if there is any I could prob do Red Xiii with a little practice I am pretty good at impressions
Rufus or Reno (Leno) I would say.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-09 22:04:00 »
Im cool with voicing reno :)
« Last Edit: 2014-07-09 22:07:57 by ff7rules »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-09 22:08:53 »
Interest in voicing characters isn't worth much at this point; frankly, interested voice actors are easy to find (though admittedly, talented ones are a little tougher). We need a project manager and proper auditions first and foremost, and so far nobody's stepped up to the plate as a manager yet.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-09 22:17:17 »
have you ever watched FF7 abridged? ask them if there interested in helping out? voices can be a little funny but thats on purpose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJtNO5CgPRk

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-09 22:17:39 »
Worst case scenario: You could wait until next year when the FF8 project is done, then I can do it all  :-\

Akabi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-11 17:26:20 »
Basically, that person will have to prepare all the dialogue they want recorded (including how they should be named or organized), keep track of the cast's email/skype, and schedule recording sessions for individual actors and myself (you don't record them together, it's way too hard to coordinate, and it's also a colossal waste of time).

They will also have to do most of the casting process, though I can help with that a little, depending on how much spare time I have.

I can do any audio editing and file naming on my end before I send the files to whoever's collecting them, so they don't need any audio skills. They just have to love spreadsheets.

So you need a manager/secretary more than actual actors >_> Yeah, I could help with that. I have no idea about the equipment that could be use for something like this, I always practiced in an actual physical studio, but I did have some brushes with schedules and stuff like that, since I also worked as a secretary  ;D
I could help with coaching and directing too if needed.

@ LeonhartGR: I'm a mexican living in Canada  :-D

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-11 18:36:28 »
The actors will be recording everything on their end, so they'll be using whatever equipment they have. We'll have to mention that their auditions have to be used with the same mic they intend to do the actual part with, or have them tell us they're willing to buy a good microphone if they get a part.

The person who was supposed to be doing that stuff for the FF8 project has apparently vanished from the face of the planet. I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend picking up the slack, but next week we can get things started.

I guess the consensus is that we'll use DLPB's translation? @Ficedula: You can generate the same XML files using DLPB's mod instead of the vanilla text, right?
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 18:56:29 by Shard »

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-11 18:57:20 »
I guess the consensus is that we'll use DLPB's translation? I'll check out ficedula's download to see how the files are named and structured.

FWIW, the file structure is easily changed, although I'm not sure what alternative structure would make things easier. If there is some way it can be improved though, I certainly can.

Also the current download has dialogue exported from a standard non-modded install. I'd probably export it again from the newer translation before any work begins [although the actual dialogue in the voices files is purely for reference, now, the new version I'm working on doesn't rely on the dialogue text to trigger the audio playback].

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-11 19:03:31 »
Well, I'm honoured if our retranslation is used, but do wait for R02 beforehand, if so :)  Will have a few final improvements.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-11 19:09:55 »
FWIW, the file structure is easily changed, although I'm not sure what alternative structure would make things easier. If there is some way it can be improved though, I certainly can.
It's fine as it is. Someone will have to go through and remove the lines that aren't really dialogue (ITEM RECEIVED!)

the actual dialogue in the voices files is purely for reference, now, the new version I'm working on doesn't rely on the dialogue text to trigger the audio playback.
That's what I assumed, but an export of the dialogue along with the file names is very helpful.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-12 01:59:27 »
Man, if I had a good microphone I could do either  Zack or Sephiroth.   

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-12 12:54:51 »
I have a blue snowball mic and its amazing for the price highly recommended