Author Topic: Oh is it this time of year already?  (Read 7712 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Oh is it this time of year already?
« on: 2009-01-31 12:59:55 »
Well, you all know what today is. Yes, it is the 12th anniversary of our beloved Final Fantasy VII. This year i havent made anything to celebrate it :-( Instead, i thought that we could just share our memories of the game, how we first played it and how old we were.

I was only 7 when i first started playing Final Fantasy VII on the pc, windows 95 it was. I was in Infant school and i used to play it in the playground with my friends all the time. I even got it line for line like it was in the game lol :-P I used to hate Carry Armour in Junon, i could never beat it.

What are your memories of the game?

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: Oh is it this time of year already?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-31 13:10:01 »
hehe, i remember i used to watch my dad play for me. in fact, i used to be into a game called "guardians crusade" before FFVII. then we somehow borrowed FF7, and i watched him play it all the way through. i was really young, too. maybe 6 or so, maybe even less. i was the most excited i'd ever been when the guard scorpion was defeated :D
ahh, good times :)
I remember wanting to play it myself, and i took over quite a few times. after we completed it i IMMEDIATELY took it into my own hands to beat the game. naturally, i sucked :P
i never got the PC versoin until recently, but i had a demo way back about 5 years ago, you got to play a round of the battle square ;)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-31 13:33:16 »
There's a thread on this topic in completely unrelated. I was 10 when I first got it for the PSX at the start of '98 (we get everything last on this continent - bah :x)

Although I'd been playing games for quite a while (I got my first console, a NES, for my 5th birthday in '92, or maybe my 6th in '93, but I think my 5th) it was my first RPG and I was pretty bad  :lol: Now every FF game I play seems hopelessly easy  :?

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-31 17:36:25 »
I remember my Dad borrowed a Playstation and a couple of games, inc FF7, from a guy at work. I must have been 7/8 at the time... He didn't lend us his memory card.

I think I put in Disc 2 or 3 to start with, because it came up saying to put in Disc 1, so I switched to another game... but when I came back to it I loved it!! I saw a friend at school drawing pictures of Barrett and Cloud and I told him I recognised them, so this guy came over my house like every day to help me beat Guard Scorpion (I didn't understand the concept of Counter Attack), I never really got past the Wall Market until I had to give it back. I can remember the prelude making me cry because I had to part with it.

Needless to say I got my own Playstation for my birthday soon after, borrowed VII from my friend and eventually got my own copy which I have right here. <3

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-01 07:59:58 »
i was like 4 and used to watch my uncle play it all the time.
then i picked it up and just spent most of my time grinding i got to lvl 27 in the first slums level lmao (only coz i was stuck) gotta love that game.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-02-01 23:56:17 »
I was 7 and my uncle had it for his playstation, he hated it and left it at my grans.

Me and my cousin used to play it all the time. I never played it without him because I was scared of getting stuck, which I did a lot. I remember the first time I played it by myself was the second reactor mission and I couldn't figure out how to get to the reactor itself (because I tried to repeat what you did in the first reactor.... getting down that chute is in no way obvious unless you know what to do, in my 7 year old opinion!). My cousin got past that part for me and I learned a few things on my own.

In the end my uncle gave me the game and his memory card (because I didn't have one... having only played crash bandicoot and a weird game with a villain clown I didn't know what they were for) and I wasn't parted from final fantasy 7 since. Getting lost in that game really felt magical. I miss those days!

CSK001

« Reply #6 on: 2009-02-02 12:00:49 »
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us.  I'm a new one in this website.  Please keep updating me.
CSK

Job Search

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-02-02 18:05:23 »
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us.  I'm a new one in this website.  Please keep updating me.
CSK

Job Search

We need mods here! Take care of the spambots. >_<

NameSpoofer

« Reply #8 on: 2009-02-09 20:18:43 »
Wow it seems im a bit different.

I didn't know about Final Fantasy until about 2006. That was when I saw my friend playing DoC. Then months later I came across a DVD of AC and I saw Vincent. At first I thought he was the protagonist but my friend told me its cloud and sephy. I was amazed with the graphics so I bought it and I became a fan of FF7 since then.

Then I played FF7 but I was stuck in Wall Market ( Im pretty average gamer to be honest ) . So I switched to playing around with the FF7 models from The Sims and drew some fanart as well. Then one day I found the so called "FF7 Walkthrough.pdf" and finally beat the game  :-D

Then I found qhimm and began with real FF7 modding

I still have to play CC, DoC and watch Last Order  :-D

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-02-09 22:29:14 »
  For me, until I read some article from magazine(while they were making FF7), I hadn't paid much attention to any of FF games.  At mid~late '90s, Console emulation was at early stage.  8-bit console games were already playable enough, but 16-bit console emulator, such as SFC/SNES emulators were still developing.  Anyway, I started my FF experience with FF3, then moved to other games.(Can you imagine playing FF6 via early version of SNES96 in P75 laptop, without sound?)
  Then they ported FF7 to PC.  Since I had no real console(until my younger brother won a PS2), I had to got PC version to play the game.  That's my story.

Richgirl80billion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-02-10 04:10:35 »
I was 6 or 7... I used to watch my dad play and I'd beg him to read what everyone was saying....Kinda like watching a movie... Every since that day Me and Final FAntasy 7 went through so much drama... Losing it, buying it, losing it again due to moving from house to house and buying it again...

The first trouble I got into was the fact that I wasn't sure that I had to catch a chocobo in the begin to avoid that snake... I kept running and running until I finally made it through...lol

I really hated that two headed beast at Gaia cliff... And the carry armor was ridiculous...LOL... I've play FF7 so much and beat so many times and I just started playing over again a few days ago...

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-02-10 11:11:45 »
Hah, I remember previews of FFX in '97. I loved the game from the start. Midgar was cool, graphics were awesome, didn't knew what to expect about the game. Then I played it one year later. My friend bought it so we shared the discs. When he finished the first one, I played it, when he finished second, he borrowed it to me and so on. I remember he took some time to finish 2nd, and I was on first still. Unable to advance story I was maxing out the first one being at 82lvl when I started 2nd disc :D Bought mansion in costa del sol, mastered a lot of materias which were ready for Master
  • and I was probably one of the first people who obtained Omnislash on first disc but for some time I didn't knew what it was and how to teach it to the Cloud cause without 3rd lvl limits I couldn't use it on him :D

They still laugh at this situation when they recall it.

I really loved the immersive mood, interesting story, memorable characters and of course, incredible soundtrack. It was my fav RPG along with Chrono Trigger with which I spend a lot of time also seeing every ending. And there wasn't youtube at the time so you had to finish the game manually with specific set of prerequistice fulfilled in order to view them.
I miss good old times when gaming was a passion. Right now is just a hobby with very limited ammount of time to spend on it.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-02-10 12:07:55 »
Hah, I remember previews of FFX in '97. I loved the game from the start. Midgar was cool, graphics were awesome, didn't knew what to expect about the game. Then I played it one year later. My friend bought it so we shared the discs. When he finished the first one, I played it, when he finished second, he borrowed it to me and so on. I remember he took some time to finish 2nd, and I was on first still. Unable to advance story I was maxing out the first one being at 82lvl when I started 2nd disc :D Bought mansion in costa del sol, mastered a lot of materias which were ready for Master
  • and I was probably one of the first people who obtained Omnislash on first disc but for some time I didn't knew what it was and how to teach it to the Cloud cause without 3rd lvl limits I couldn't use it on him :D

They still laugh at this situation when they recall it.

I really loved the immersive mood, interesting story, memorable characters and of course, incredible soundtrack. It was my fav RPG along with Chrono Trigger with which I spend a lot of time also seeing every ending. And there wasn't youtube at the time so you had to finish the game manually with specific set of prerequistice fulfilled in order to view them.
I miss good old times when gaming was a passion. Right now is just a hobby with very limited ammount of time to spend on it.

Omnislash isn't obtainable until the gold saucer has closed and then reopened, which is on the second disc.

And I see what you mean about gaming being a hobby now. I used to spend all my time on games... now life gets in the way all the time!
« Last Edit: 2009-02-10 12:09:53 by Prince Lex »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-02-10 12:09:09 »
Nope, you can get it on disc 1, but you need a lot more bp to be able to get it though.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-02-10 12:18:49 »
Nope, you can get it on disc 1, but you need a lot more bp to be able to get it though.
Yup. Twice as much as I recall.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-02-10 12:35:58 »
Really? I didn't know that.

I guess thats because I didn't notice it in the score menu in Battle Square... I didn't really spend much time in there on Disc 1.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-02-24 05:46:29 »
I was twelvish. I had a N64 at the time... I had played FF2 (4) and FF3 (6) on my SNES, and so when I saw commercials of FF7 I was drooling. Of course, it was way out of my reach. But then, one day I came home from school and saw a Playstation in front of the TV! My awesome mom had traded in my N64 for the Playstation and FF7. It was one of the sweetest days of my gaming life.

:-D

It's funny how now I have enough money to buy whatever games I want... but they simply don't measure up to the games of my youth. Great memories, mmm.