Author Topic: About games from FFX to today  (Read 9808 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
About games from FFX to today
« on: 2012-01-02 14:19:20 »
So, I bought a PS2 in a retail shop for 50$ CAD (which is not much, about 63$ USD and about 80 euros, not really good with conversion :P)

The PS2 has way better games than a PS3, and not only I'm not gonna wait for the so-called HD remakes, but they give unnecessary money to Senix, and I don't want that.

I bought FFX with it, and I plan on getting FFX-2 (I want to get my own opinion out of it), DoC (yeah, it's still good) and FFXII (I actually liked the gameplay a lot) and maybe some KHs too.

But that was not my point. Games get shittier over the years, and that is not only Senix! One of the only company I still like is Valve, because, while they've got Valve time, they make good games. Senix have deadlines and don't want to go over them. That's why games are more shitty than what they were supposed to be.

I have a GBA from my childhood and I still play it. Why do they need to make bigger games? Sakaguchi, please come back! Don't let the world get worse!

I thought of, with all the fans here, writing a letter to Senix and tell them to let us handle the story writing and gameplay to the fans, so for something that would be good. Something like that would really encourage me to buy such games, and maybe bring Senix back to the good path...

That's all I had to say.
Regards,
Vgr

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: About games from FFX to today
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-02 15:47:52 »
You knew that Sakaguchi is still in the industry, right? Blue dragon... lost odyssey... The last story...
Or was it symbolically meant?

I'm not that much of a gamer anymore, but I must say the newest batman game is very good.
Shogun 2 is a must have for strategy fans.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-07 04:04:56 »
Ah my Senix has caught on  :-D

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-07 06:14:44 »
Wonderful.  A member of the new generation has embraced the values of the previous one!

I meant that in a good way.  FFX-2 isn't really that terrible.  Granted, i've only played through it twice in 7 years, but it can be fun.  The cooler job classes really don't have much to offer; I did the most damage of my playthroughs (proportional to enemy HP) with a Gunner, Black Mage, and Warrior fairly early in the game.  There is really no story to speak of, but it does a good job of enabling you to feel like the party is your own creation, although all three girls have the same freaking stats as each other.  It won't go on yur favorites list, but it is worth a playthrough or two.

taterz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-07 10:45:18 »
X-2 is basically what happens when mario party, charlie's angels, and final fantasy combine. it's littered with mini games and jokes (you don't obtain items, you score them. a hilarious change i actually liked). the story is rather tenuous but the battle system is quite decent, it's the missing link from X and previous games to XII with it's real time battle.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-07 17:28:27 »
The gameplay of FFX-2 in my opinion is fine its everything else about it I don't like and that really ruins it for me, I love final fantasy games for their story.

Also I'm unsure of if games themselves are getting worse or if story telling is, Mind you Sonic 1-3 and Super Mario 1-3 had no story to speak of and they are among my favourite games, damn you nostalgia.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-08 00:28:19 »
Well, to be fair those games had a very basic story. The part that was fun was the gameplay. In my opinion, Final Fantasy games are more about thinking and strategy, which can get dull quickly without a decent story.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-01-08 00:37:15 »
It depends on genre.  Game play is king and HAS to be fun in a game without a story.  A story is a lot more important in an RPG, hence why different criteria need using.

Reviewers these days seem to think they can ignore story in RPG or make graphics king, when they do their scoring.  To make a great rpg, you need great gameplay AND a good story.  To make a great non storybased game, you need great gameplay.

Mario 1,2,3,64 , sonic et al, have good design and are a lot of fun.  They do not need a story.  But take out the story from an RPG like FF7, and it will fall apart.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-01-08 00:40:26 »
Totally true dan. Look at FFXII. Awesome gameplay, yet next to no story. I love that game because of the gameplay. The licenses reminds me of the Sphere Grid in FFX and the Gambits are like AI controlled characters, but you decide what they do, and when, unlike FFXIII.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-01-08 02:25:24 »
FFXII actually has quite a deep story, the problem is with the fact that it's not character driven. What makes Final Fantasy games is the fact that you actually care about what happens to the characters because they have aspects of their personalities that hook you. Relationships with each other etc.

XII didn't have that. XII had a story that could have been great if the characters actually had more of a purpose. The only one that really did was Basch, and even then, there was next to no development. You just really couldn't care less about the characters in that one, that's the problem.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-01-08 02:58:14 »
FFXII actually has quite a deep story, the problem is with the fact that it's not character driven. What makes Final Fantasy games is the fact that you actually care about what happens to the characters because they have aspects of their personalities that hook you. Relationships with each other etc.

XII didn't have that. XII had a story that could have been great if the characters actually had more of a purpose. The only one that really did was Basch, and even then, there was next to no development. You just really couldn't care less about the characters in that one, that's the problem.

I thought the problem with XII was that if you remove Vaan the story would have been the same.

Ishtaria

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-01-08 03:18:45 »
Now then young man, you should go back 1 generation further to the PS1 and enjoy some of the great gameplay to be found on there. Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Vandal Hearts, Star Ocean 2. Home of some true timeless classics.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-01-08 04:11:27 »
I didn't think XII had a deep story either tbh... I thought it was a rather basic pseudo-political tale.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #13 on: 2012-01-08 04:40:40 »
front mission games are time well spent?
interesting. I might have to branch out into them from FM evolved on the ps3 XD

But I generally agree. although I haven't yet beaten XII or X-2, I did have a lot of fun on X-2 before I lost it, and XII was good. I'd managed to rack up 80+ hours of just exploring and doing everything I could find to do before I lost my memory card D: I haven't yet re-attempted it. although... I had to lie to myself about it being Final Fantasy for it to be playable XD

Ishtaria

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-01-08 05:53:08 »
Yeah the FM series never had a big following but they were good turn-based strategy games in their own right. The graphics for FM3 are a bit ropey even by PS1 standards and the system a bit strange when compared to FM1 (snes), FM2 (Japan only PS1), FM4 and 5 (PS2) but it's still a decent game. FM4 wasn't well received but I thought it was really good.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #15 on: 2012-01-08 11:05:54 »
And that's the kinda review it takes to get me interested.
By turn-based strategy, do you mean along the lines of final fantasy tactics?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 2012-01-08 12:42:20 »

What's odd is that XII had important moments, it just didn't seem to realize it. It's a bit strange to describe, but what I mean is that I never really felt that XII was aware of the issues it seemed to be raising. I'm not sure why this is - the only thing I can think of is that XII seems quite oblivious when it portrays as 'villains' people doing exactly the same thing as Ashe and co. - like Vayne (in his war on the Occuria) or Al-Cid's rivals in that pirate town (who want to live without authority on principle).

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-01-08 13:47:33 »

What's odd is that XII had important moments, it just didn't seem to realize it. It's a bit strange to describe, but what I mean is that I never really felt that XII was aware of the issues it seemed to be raising. I'm not sure why this is - the only thing I can think of is that XII seems quite oblivious when it portrays as 'villains' people doing exactly the same thing as Ashe and co. - like Vayne (in his war on the Occuria) or Al-Cid's rivals in that pirate town (who want to live without authority on principle).

I completely agree. I think it comes back to the characters again though, the story isn't truly character driven, the characters are kind of just there for the ride. At some key points they do clearly influence the story, but not in a way that really hooks you.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: 2012-01-09 00:29:40 »
The 12 story is very much about the nature of revenge set in a political landscape. The story is quite good, it has some very good moments. However the story vs gameplay kinda ruins it's flow.

@Bosola
I think this is somewhat obvious. The "bad" guys (Occuria, Vayne, Cid) want Ashe to take revenge, but for different reasons. The obvious difference between Vayne and Ashe is that Vayne seeks self glorification while Ashe seeks "Justice". There are others worth mentioning, like Gabranth. He is a very bitter man in seek of self justification. etc.

On FFX-2.
Yeah, it's nothing wrong with the gameplay. It's everything else that stinks. The gameplay is actually very good.

Ishtaria

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-01-09 07:06:26 »
And that's the kinda review it takes to get me interested.
By turn-based strategy, do you mean along the lines of final fantasy tactics?

Yeah it's pretty much FFT with mechs. The skills system was expanded over time, 3 brings in new types of weaponry, 4 brings in a multi-attack ally link-up system and 5 is pretty much an all-round polish.

Front Mission 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGDwJ1nH7HQ

Front Mission 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1MXb8Kd46k

Front Mission 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0w7oTbYc4

Front Mission 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgvUa6bPHs

Front Mission 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwIj_xRx_nY

Evolved is a completely different game to the old ones and while I've not played it I've heard it's not great.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #20 on: 2012-01-09 13:57:22 »
Yeah, it's like a 3rd-person shooter with mechs. Not that great, but it was fun.
Sweet, I'll be playing that at some point :D

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-01-09 15:58:56 »

http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?function=rate&rate=positive&id=RKLS000000613&cat=PLAYSTATION%203

Final Fantasy Origins coming to playstation network soon  :D
(ff1 & 2 btw) can't wait

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-01-09 16:54:01 »
The PSP versions are already on PSN, and having played both, the PSP versions are vastly superior. Having said that, this information is useless if you don't have a PSP.

Incidentally, I have FF3 for the iPhone, and I can't seem to get into it. It's the only one I haven't completed.

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #23 on: 2012-01-10 09:37:39 »
Having played Origins and the PSP versions, I agree completely.
Plus, if for whatever reason it occurs to you to do it, there is a very game-breaking but nifty equipment glitch for FF 1 on the PSP XD

I played it on the DS re-make, but I never really enjoyed it. I found I always had high attack but low defence for all my characters, no matter how I changed it...

r43dscard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-01-13 03:30:25 »
Last week I bought a PSVitaR4 , it is indeed better than PSP, but very small number of games in it.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-13 03:35:24 by ZHANG FELIX »