Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4928907 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.35)
« Reply #2525 on: 2016-01-14 20:24:53 »
Hi there.

I have played a lot to the NT mod and now I would like to try the custom mod that modify the values in the materia system.  The thing is that when I install it and then try to launch the game, Steam is automatically launched and I am redirected to the steam page of FF7.

Is this mod compatible with the version you can buy on Square Enix website or is it only with the Steam version?

I can't wait for version 1.4. You're doing an amazing job!

I'll be at work in about 30mins, but what's your set-up? Were you playing the 1998 version before through 7H? NT's 'normal' installer and the .EXE patch should be compatible with both the 1998 and Steam versions but I haven't tried the 7H versions of them that Alyza made yet.

Ive asked alyza two times but she didnt know first time, second time she didnt answer, probably too busy working on new release. Maybe you could help answer this q. Can i ask you: is it possible to have teleportation ingame, built into nt mod? In bootleg there was trainer, in it one of the options was to teleport party into certain available areas of the game. Is it possible to bring that feature in?

There's sort of something like that in there; an NPC will appear at certain moments and let you fast-warp to and from Fort Condor for the minigame rather than back-tracking all the way. As for something more general, it would need to be through NPCs. I don't know though, it depends on the field script of the possible destinations.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: 2016-01-14 20:33:21 »
Well the reason I asked is ie i didnt get ghost hand in train station in midgar in clean walk so i used trainer teleportation feature to get it after. I could get it by black chocobo editor, but it felt like cheating even though i would have fought regular enemies for it and not give myself any weapons or materia ahead. Yeah, if you could implement that ie through save menu at save points it would be great, and also a feature to be able to teleport only to places you have already been or/and are available atm in the game, would prevent players somewhat from cheating while making game less walking traveling to distant areas and more action packed.

It would be great if it was implemented first in tweaks and cheats, so nt was not dependent on for such feature...

Edit: oh and another idea came to mind, regarding fort condor battles now that you mentioned them. Are you gonna enable all 15/16 battles? Bc some are unavailable since chars are captured by shinra while fort is attacked etc... It would be a great opportunity to put more goodies in the game.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-14 21:49:42 by lionheart82 »

narf2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: 2016-01-14 22:05:25 »
I'll be at work in about 30mins, but what's your set-up? Were you playing the 1998 version before through 7H? NT's 'normal' installer and the .EXE patch should be compatible with both the 1998 and Steam versions but I haven't tried the 7H versions of them that Alyza made yet.

Thanks for the quick anwer.
I have the lastest version (2012 remake, the one with the achievements) that I got from Square Enix website. NT is working perfectly fine, I just can't launch the game once the custom mod is installed.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-14 22:19:18 by narf2010 »

NewDude

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: 2016-01-15 02:11:02 »
Hey, first off wanna start out that I've been playing this mod for about a month now off and on, and I love it.  Thanks for putting in so much effort!

Now for the problem(?)  I'm fighting Diamond Weapon outside of Midgar, and I've challenged it I don't know how many times with different strategies, and they all just turn into long fights that last 15+ minutes until my inevitable death.  I don't know if I'm making progress or not, so I decided to check online to see how others were doing it.  I saw a YouTube video where Proud Clod appears and helps?  That hasn't happened to me, and I'm not sure if that's the way to beat the fight, if there's a glitch, or if I'm just a baddie.

Any input would be great, thanks a bunch!

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: 2016-01-15 04:00:15 »
Hey, first off wanna start out that I've been playing this mod for about a month now off and on, and I love it.  Thanks for putting in so much effort!

Now for the problem(?)  I'm fighting Diamond Weapon outside of Midgar, and I've challenged it I don't know how many times with different strategies, and they all just turn into long fights that last 15+ minutes until my inevitable death.  I don't know if I'm making progress or not, so I decided to check online to see how others were doing it.  I saw a YouTube video where Proud Clod appears and helps?  That hasn't happened to me, and I'm not sure if that's the way to beat the fight, if there's a glitch, or if I'm just a baddie.

If memory serves, he (it?) should be weak to Earth (and maybe hidden?), so you should slap your highest earth materia on your caster (assuming you have one) and combine earth with elemental on your phys. attackers weapons, so they do double damage. I also think slow works on him/it.
He/it utilizes fire damage in some way. So if you use elemental-fire in your armour, or gear that nullifies (or even better, absorbs). He may also use an attack that slows you, which you should be able to counter with dispel and/or haste.

Outside of this, just use physical attacks and spells when needed, iirc, when he opens his core, he can only be hit by spells, and he should go down fairly easily. Edit: while also doing damage control, naturally (healing/buffing).
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15 05:32:50 by Mithrain »

NewDude

• View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: 2016-01-15 04:15:03 »
If memory serves, he (it?) should be weak to Earth (and maybe hidden?), so you should slap your highest earth materia on your caster (assuming you have one) and combine earth with elemental on your phys. attackers weapons, so they do double damage. I also think slow works on him/it.
I also think that he/it utilizes fire damage in some way. So if you use elemental-fire in your armour, or gear that nullifies (or even better, absorbs). He may also use an attack that slows you, which you should be able to counter with dispel and/or haste.

Outside of this, just use physical attacks and spells when needed, iirc, when he opens his core, he can only be hit by spells, and he should go down fairly easily. Edit: while also doing damage control, naturally (healing/buffing).

Thanks!  So I assume the Proud Clod thing doesn't happen then?  Also, my physical attacks do 0 damage so does Earth Element make it do damage instead?

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: 2016-01-15 05:36:36 »
Thanks!  So I assume the Proud Clod thing doesn't happen then?  Also, my physical attacks do 0 damage so does Earth Element make it do damage instead?
The proud clod thing does not happen, no. Unless I'm becoming senile.
If you're doing 0 physical damage straight off the bat, I may be remembering the whole core thingy wrong. It might be magic until he opens it, and then physical hits are effective.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: 2016-01-15 06:39:05 »
Well the reason I asked is ie i didnt get ghost hand in train station in midgar

Edit: oh and another idea came to mind, regarding fort condor battles now that you mentioned them. Are you gonna enable all 15/16 battles? Bc some are unavailable since chars are captured by shinra while fort is attacked etc... It would be a great opportunity to put more goodies in the game.

Nothing is missable in NT, short of selling Ultimate Weapons. Ghost Hands can be acquired from other enemies/locations; the small secret cave up on Mt. Corel where the dude and his bulldozer are has a treasure chest with some inside. There'll be enemies around that carry them too.

As for Fort Condor, I was going to have a go at making those disabled battles available but execution would be important. We don't want something like this happening:

But we'll see; Kynos told me that those battles were fully functioning, so...

I have the lastest version (2012 remake, the one with the achievements) that I got from Square Enix website. NT is working perfectly fine, I just can't launch the game once the custom mod is installed.

Oh I see; it's the 2012 version. I'm not 100% sure then, I've only got the 1998 and Steam versions which might have a different .EXE (perhaps the 2012 version has some kind of DRM in it?). I might need to try and get my hands on a 2012 .EXE and apply changes to it, unless it's identical and there's just some security thing happening with SE.

Sounds like you found my old Proud Clod vs. Diamond Weapon vid; that's not an NT thing, just a proof-of-concept for 'friendly' enemies that assist the party in battle. Here's the skinny on 1.35's Diamond Weapon:

32,000HP
Earth: 2x
Wind: 1/2
Holy: Absorb
Hidden: 2x

First off, this guy is fast with 180 Speed so applying Slow to him should be a priority. He works to the same AI as Demons Gate so at 25% HP increments he'll open his chest and prepare to use his big attack on the next turn so if you see that chest open, it means you've knocked off another 25% of his HP. He'll also counter-attack during this, so be wary of attacking.

He starts the battle immune to physical damage, and then flips this immunity when the chest opens; becoming immune to magical damage instead. You can have a mixed offence if you want, but the chest will only be open for a couple of turns so it might be best to just have a magic-focused setup. You'll be getting Revenge-Stamped by using physical attacks in any case.

Like Mithrain said, Earth and Hidden are effective here so Quake spells and a Titan cast are the order of the day. Hidden is a tough element to find magic for at this stage of the game, as the only two player-spells that use it are Shadow Flare and Pandora's Box. If you've picked up S. Flare from maybe Extra Battle (could be tough to acquire though) then it'll pay dividends here. Otherwise, focus on blasts of Quake combined with MP Turbo or similar.

Diamond's attacks are a mix of physical stamps which can deal high damage (but if you're using Magic to attack then stick to the back row) and magic projectiles that can inflict Slow-Numb or outright Petrify so keep some Soft handy or prep your team to protect against this status. You can also negate both Amber Shot and Amber Raze by equipping a Bahamut Summon with Elemental Materia in your armor (these attacks are Shout element, which is on all three Bahamut materia). Amber Blast can be negated by protecting yourself from Fire but this should only be used when the chest is open so Shout would be the handier protection to have.

WEAPON Flash, his big attack, is used on the next turn after the chest opens. It deals damage equal to 50% of your character's MaxHP so to survive it they all need to be over 50% HP. It also has a Dispel effect, so you'll need to reapply buffs when it hits. fI you're going with a magic-based offence then it's best to stop attacking and focus on healing your party past 50% of their MaxHP and maybe keeping a turn on stand-by so you can heal and/or replace Barrier/MBarrier, etc. after Flash hits. You should only see Flash happen three times in this entire fight.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15 06:41:25 by Sega Chief »

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: 2016-01-15 07:05:06 »

You can also negate both Amber Shot and Amber Raze by equipping a Bahamut Summon with Elemental Materia in your armor (these attacks are Shout element, which is on all three Bahamut materia).

Despite having done 2 playthroughs, using bahamut to guard against Shout had not occured to me at all. :o

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: 2016-01-15 08:15:06 »
What is this hidden element besides those enemy skills you already have? Is there a list for it? Great description of diamond weapon, thx! Will those elemental affinotoes stay the same for 1.4?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: 2016-01-15 16:06:59 »
What is this hidden element besides those enemy skills you already have? Is there a list for it? Great description of diamond weapon, thx! Will those elemental affinotoes stay the same for 1.4?

Hidden is an unnamed element that was originally used as a 'non-elemental' flag in the JORG version of the game. Though the problem was partially fixed (Materia still needs an element set to it), the dev team likely didn't have the time to re-do the Kernel without messing up the look-up tables so the game shipped with a lot of attacks carrying this element (Carry's Lapis Laser being a notable example). This meant you could defend against these attacks by combining Elemental w/ any 'non-elemental' Materia.

In the NA/EU/INT versions, Hidden was removed from a lot of these attacks but some still remain like Ultima Beam. In NT, Hidden is used as an opposite to Holy so a lot of the demonic looking enemies, Jenova, etc. will resist Hidden.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: 2016-01-15 16:58:01 »

From what I remember the 2012 Square Enix store version had insanely annoying always online some form of advanced SecuROM DRM, also a three download limit, and a third party downloader where if you lost your key you couldn't re-download which is what happened to me when I got a new comp. My point being that the DRM is probably messing with New Threat in some way. I would just buy the steam version when its on sale or if you're pissed about the situation and have your key call Square and ask if you can get a steam key since you bought their store version, maybe they will let you, probably not but who knows.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15 17:01:29 by olearyf2525 »

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: 2016-01-15 18:04:22 »
Thx chief! :-)

Yuffie1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: 2016-01-15 18:16:14 »
A quick question how many battles roughly does it take to rank up. Thank you in advanced for any reply's. :D
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15 18:18:24 by Yuffie1983 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: 2016-01-15 19:47:15 »
From what I remember the 2012 Square Enix store version had insanely annoying always online some form of advanced SecuROM DRM, also a three download limit, and a third party downloader where if you lost your key you couldn't re-download which is what happened to me when I got a new comp. My point being that the DRM is probably messing with New Threat in some way. I would just buy the steam version when its on sale or if you're pissed about the situation and have your key call Square and ask if you can get a steam key since you bought their store version, maybe they will let you, probably not but who knows.

I remember there being a big uproar when the Steam version was released; basically SE pulled support for the 2012 version but didn't offer anyone a free steam key to replace their 2012 purchase. In any case, NT works with the 2012 version but the optional .EXE patch doesn't; I'll likely need to make changes to a 2012 .EXE and see if it works or not; but DRM checks might derail it anyway.

A quick question how many battles roughly does it take to rank up. Thank you in advanced for any reply's. :D

Tough to say; it depends on how quickly you're gaining levels as randoms will stop giving SP when you exceed their Level. The majority of enemies will give 1SP, but the tougher ones in an area will give 2-3. Bosses give a little more and will always give SP regardless of Level.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: 2016-01-15 19:57:24 »
hey

how is 1.4 of NT coming along

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: 2016-01-15 20:21:50 »
I'm getting there, but it's tough to say how much extra time is needed.

On the plus side, I found a head part that would actually be perfect for an Ultros battle model. So assuming it combines well with the base model I had in mind, might be able to make this fight after all.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: 2016-01-15 20:25:16 »
What is this ultros? New boss? O_o

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: 2016-01-15 20:43:30 »
I dunno, it wasn't part of the plan. If it works out I'll fit it in somewhere.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: 2016-01-15 20:44:12 »
I dunno, it wasn't part of the plan. If it works out I'll fit it in somewhere.
Lol that answer. ^_^

NewDude

• View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: 2016-01-15 22:10:46 »
Thanks for the help all! Once I realized he was vulnerable to Physical Attacks when his core was open, I just went ham with Limit Breaks.

2 things I wanted to report if they haven't previously been brought up:

1) After the battle, Aerith said something when she wasn't in the party while the weapon walked away.  My party consisted of Cloud, Red XIII, and Yuffie.
2) Right before you jump into Midgar, with the whole gang up on deck with Parachutes, it asks if you want to change your party. I said yes. Changed Party. Afterwards I said "Ready" and it brought me to the PHS screen again.  I had to say "Change Party" finally in order to advance the game.

Keep up the good work!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: 2016-01-16 16:36:06 »
I'll fix those two up just now.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: 2016-01-16 18:22:36 »
Hey segachief i just saw sapphire weapon on YouTube, do you have something like that in your mod?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: 2016-01-16 18:50:27 »
Nah, that guy got his head blown off. He's dead as shit.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: 2016-01-16 20:13:07 »
Nah, that guy got his head blown off. He's dead as strawberries.
Lol, but can we also make him strawberry? ☺
Or you mean the mod is dead?