Author Topic: First Battle Crash - Yamp not working  (Read 7252 times)

gramps

First Battle Crash - Yamp not working
« on: 2009-09-12 16:17:32 »
Hi,

I have had a look at the 'read me first threads' first and there are some similar problems to mine but non that hit the mark. If I am repeating a past thread apologies, please point me in the right direction, i'll be eternally grateful.

I am on laptop with vista so didn't work first time, so i unitalled and then I installed:

1)Truemotion Codec
2)K-Lite
3)Numpad codec
4) installed game full
5) higher quality cloud mod (don't think it worked)
6) hand mod (don't think it worked)
==> then when I play the game I could see the FMVs, controls worked, but then I enter the first battle, theres a swirl, screen freezes with a small blue bar in middle of screen, then game shuts down (blue bar goes) and we end up at the desktop with a warning: ff7.exe stopped working

so i then:
1) changed compatability to windows 95
2) that didn't work so tried 98
3) that didn't work so tried to download Yamp and battle swirl patch
4) when I load Yamp up I get this

Final Fantasy VII Skerb's patches installer by dziugo ([email protected])

Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Applying patch: BattleSwirlFix
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Could Not Find C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\temp.bat
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Something's gone wrong... dunno what...
Sorry, no patching today.
Press any key to continue . . .

can anyone help please? somoene said it could be due to vista needing admin permission, if so how can i get aroud this? I know I am abit of a noob so apologies, but I really have been trying to fix this myself and learn something from it, but I am stuck now.

Thanks
Josh

P.s. my comp is:

Inspiron 1501
Vista Home Basic
AMD Turion 64 mobile technology MK-36
896 MB RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: First Battle Crash - Yamp not working
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-12 16:25:53 »
Yeah first thing is to try to run it as an admin by right clicking on the patch and selecting Run as administrator. Vista doesnt like programs modifying files in the Program Files folder. Thats why I always install to C:\FF7\

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-12 18:57:15 »
Nono, executing YAMP as an administrator doesn't work, too. You have to disable Vista's UAC (User-Account-Control).

This will help :)

« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-12 19:30:01 »
executing YAMP as admin works for me. O.o.
And i am running on vista.

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-09-13 00:56:31 »
Nono, executing YAMP as an administrator doesn't work, too. You have to disable Vista's UAC (User-Account-Control).

This will help :)

I admit that turning UAC off is a solution, but running as an admin does work  :-D

gramps

« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-13 11:08:11 »
Hey guys thatnks for helping.

Okay I changed my admin priveleges on Yamp by:
right clicking on Install (batch file)--> properties --> security --> then checking full access boxes --> run Install (batch file) for Yamp and this happens:

FF7.exe file restored from the backup (backup_ff7.exe)
Applying patch: BattleSwirlFix
Patching done

Then i tried the game, the swrl happens for the battle and after the swirl it crashes as its entering the arena (i can see some of teh background),

so then i thought maybe i didn't do it right, I right clicked on Install and selected 'Set as administrator.' instead and ran the batch file, this came up, don't know if its relevant because i think it worked the first time anyway:

Missing file: ff7.exe
Sorry, no patching today.

so then i looked in the folder to find my ff7.exe file and i have seen a new file created: backup_ff7.exe, i think its new. am i supposed to do something with this? or could it be something wrong with my battle.lgp file?

thanks for your help, any solutions would be appreciated?

Josh

p.s. off topic: is it this hard for FF8?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-14 23:31:57 »
batch files don't work when you run as administrator. Doing that redirects their "start in" location to the administrator's folders, so it only works if you're already the administrator. (in which case you'd think it'd be pointless to begin with) Run as administrator isn't all that useful, if vista is giving you issues, turn off User Account Control (via the Users option in the control panel), and it'll work like XP.

that backup_ff7.exe file is (you're not gonna believe this) a backup of the ff7.exe file! In case the patcher ruins your executable, it makes a backup file upon patching.

if the battle swirl works, then a battle swirl fix isn't going to fix your problem. Are you getting an error message like "Oops, something really bad happened..."?

If so, I'd recommend a clean re-install. If you have any mods, manually re-install them one-by-one until you find which one caused the problem.

If not, then try using Aali's custom graphics driver if you don't have it already. If you already have Aali's driver, and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98 doesn't fix it either, then a fresh install is in order.

BTW, FF8 out of the box on the machine it was intended to run on, doesn't even run the way it's supposed to. It's a really bad port. It's probably easier to get to run to begin with, but it's virtually impossible to get it to look like the PSX version...although people are working on mods to fix that.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-14 23:40:15 by titeguy3 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-15 00:25:48 »
Try using Aali's OpenGL Driver.

Found below.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.msg112523#msg112523