Author Topic: Friends  (Read 7946 times)

Zophixan

• View Profile
Friends
« on: 2006-08-15 22:24:22 »
Don't you just love your friends? Had a great day out today in Lincoln, where we just hung out in the park and messed about. Does anyone notice that as you get older, you get less and less time to do that? and going outs seem to also seem to involve alcohol or clubbing? I kinda miss the old simple hanging out in the park and playing football! So err theres not much to disucss, so lets discuss how friends rule!

Jedimark

• View Profile
Re: Friends
« Reply #1 on: 2006-08-16 06:43:52 »
The hardest thing is to try and keep in touch with all your friends as you get older (which is why MSN is such a fantastic tool)...
Primary School Friends < Secondary School Friends < College Friends < University Friends etc!

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-08-16 09:06:41 »
I just love tuesdays because me and a lot of friends play poker then.
One of the best times of the week.

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-16 12:58:08 »
Yeah I noticed how hard it is to keep in touch with friends from my old secondary school pre sixth form. MSN and Myspace helps alot!
Its a pity that friends can grow apart in time though, though with my old best friends, when we do meet up, its as if I never left!

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-22 01:50:26 »
I fell out of contact with everyone of my primary school friends and I am not that interested in seeing my university friends out of university.

The way it seems to me is that at school/uni etc you will automatically group with people to avoid being on your own, but the people you first group with are not necessarily the sort of people you would usually choose as friends. Thats why nearly all my friends are from secondary school, by the end of year 13 you have worked out who your real friends are.

There was really only one person from uni I would have considered a proper friend and she turned out to be the nastiest piece of work I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.  :-(

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-08-23 20:06:25 »
I fell out of contact with everyone of my primary school friends and I am not that interested in seeing my university friends out of university.

The way it seems to me is that at school/uni etc you will automatically group with people to avoid being on your own, but the people you first group with are not necessarily the sort of people you would usually choose as friends. Thats why nearly all my friends are from secondary school, by the end of year 13 you have worked out who your real friends are.

There was really only one person from uni I would have considered a proper friend and she turned out to be the nastiest piece of work I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.  :-(
Yeah I agree, by the end of sixth form, you have settled down enough and known enough people to see who suits your personallity the best. Though I did join another school for sixth form, so I had to do that very quickly! Most people I met are great people! I've noticed people seem to adopt a more friendly personallity in sixth form, ie. being friends with everyone.
MOT, what happened involving that girl? I hope I'm not being too nosy!
« Last Edit: 2006-08-23 20:08:58 by Zophixan »

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #6 on: 2006-08-24 19:59:13 »
I'm actually in high school right now, so I can still do the hang out after school thing. I just go and skateboard with them afterschool anywhere close  by (I go to school in santa monica, california).

(just don't tell me to treasure this precious time, enough of that from my parents)

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-08-25 00:17:22 »

Its detailed quite well elsewhere on the forums, however I shall sum it up for you here (it's a classic boy meets girl tale):

November: Boy breaks up with a girl, meets new girl. New girl likes boy, boy not ready for relationship. Boy and new girl become friends.
December: Uni break, boy and new girl email and text constantly.
January: New girl meets new guy, new girl completely ignores boy.
February: New girl randomly talks to boy when she is bored, she is obviously still attracted from all the comments she makes and way she acts.
March: Boy tells new girl where to go because he is tired of being ignored when it suits new girl. New girl apologises and follows boy round for a few days.
April: Boy goes away for a week, on the journey home new girl texts constantly. Over next few days a hundred or so texts are received so new girl gets msn. Boy and new girl get on really well, and talk constantly.
May: New girl randomly tells boy that she only thinks of him as a friend. Boy not bothered since he is chasing 3 other girls. New girl decides she wants attention and constantly flirts. Boy ignores it.
June: New girl asks boy out on date, boy goes and has fun. New girl asks guy out on another date then 3 more 3 days in a row. New girl then tells boy over msn that she is going to sleep with him. Later new girl texts boy to tell him she really likes him and asks him to come round the next day. Next day they lie in the park, apparently all the clouds look like hearts and inspire love in the girl. Girl then invites boy back to hers. Boy walks through the door and girl ignores him for 2 hours then boy gives up and goes home. Girl then ignores boy for a day, boy asks whats going on as he thought they had something good going on. Girl says she just wants to stay friends. Boy asks girl what happened, girl tells boy it was all a joke and boy got the wrong end of the stick. Girl then decides to not talk to boy and blame him because she does not want to answer any difficult questions, such as how can she joke about liking someone.
July: Girl comes up to boy in bar and acts like nothing is wrong, boys best friend is restrained by her friend from punching girl in face. Boy ignores girl and girl stares at boy for 20 minutes before boy and friends move bar. Boy sends email to girl asking for his stuff back, girl ignores. Boy gets girl on msn, she says she will get stuff back to him and reveals that she has been dating 4 guys at once. Boy gets slightly annoyed. 2 Weeks later boy still hasn't got his stuff so sends nasty email. Girl replies and tells him its his fault she hasn't done what she said and that its his fault that they are no longer friends. Boy gets girl to mail him his stuff then rolls over and goes back to sleep (with best friend  8-)). Boy never hears from girl again.

My friends think she was annoyed that I didn't care when she said she wanted to be friends the first time and decided to try and get me to like her so she could do that to me. Apparently she is quite the manipulative cow.

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-08-25 05:06:03 »
The problem is..

Girls never say what they mean, and they never mean what they say. They expect us (men) to somehow, whether through ESP or whatever means, to interperet the correct un-spoken message they are hoping to send. They can't actually say it because that would take all the fun and challenge out of the relationship (mainly at your expense). I mean, my god, could you imagine the calamity that would befall the world if she actually told you what she really feels and means...

Case in point,

I met Sara (not her real name) at a training center. I was going through a very emotional and life-changing period in my life. She was there in a different program than me, so we would only see each other at lunch and after classes (it was a live-in facility). about half-way through my program, we were introduced and 'hit it off'. We spent more than a few hours talking about life, families, and relationships. We even went out on a couple of private dates, so we could speak more freely (with out other students around). We even had sex at the school (discretely). Due to a medical condition, she had to drop out of her program. Before she left, she gave me her phone number and address (which she only gave to 2 other people) and told me that she wanted to keep in touch with me. I finished my program a week later.

After I returned home, I found myself thinking about her a lot. So I found her number and gave her a call. We talked about our mutual friends at the school and re-talked over some subjects we had talked before. She invited me to come spend a weekend with her at her place. I packed some stuff, went down, and wound up spending 6 days with her. We had a lot of fun; talking, laughing, and spending time enjoying each others company. I finally, relunctantly came back to my place and realized just how much I enjoyed being with her. We keep up talking on the phone for 2-3 hrs at a time 3-4 times a week.

A couple of weeks later, she told me that her doctor had scheduled her for surgery the following week: coincidentaly on her birthday. I told her I wanted to come for her birthday, but I wanted to stay to help her after her surgery. I bought her some of her favorite perfume and other 'stuff' for her birthday. But I also cooked up some extra food so I wouldn't have to spend too much time cooking food for both of us. And I bought (and installed) some extra equipment to help her after her surgery. We celebrated her birthday a day early, and none of her family bothered to show up (even though they all live in the same town). We stayed up pretty late that night, as she was worried about her procedure, and I did my best to comfort and relax her. I spent the next 3 weeks with her, caring for her both through and after her surgery. We grew even closer together, both from the good and bad times we shared. She admitted to me that nobody had ever cared or supported her like I did.

I went home for a month, and we continued to talk a keep in almost constant touch. I went back at the end of November to share Thanksgiving with her and her family. She brought up that she was having a rough time financially due to her medicines and lack of mobility (she had her lower spine reconstructed). I suggested that maybe I could move in with her and help her out, both financially and around the house. She thought about it a little bit, and then agreed we could try it. I had to wait till after Christmas, due to my own family obligations, but January 2nd I moved in.

For the first couple of weeks, it went pretty smoothly. I showed her some tips on how to organize some things (like shopping) so that she didn't spend too much money running around to get stuff. We spent a portion of our combined income and bought enough groceries to last a month (or more), and budgeted some for rent, utilities, and an occasional dine-out/order-in. I did most of the cooking, and laundry. Suddenly, her old ex-fiance shows up and starts spending more and more time at the house. At first, I try to be cool and nice about, because I didn't want to cause any hard feelings (even though she had said that he was the probable cause for the fracture in her back). Pretty soon, he's sharing our meals, then he starts sleeping over (in the living room). Soon enough, they get into a fight. He storms out for a day, then comes right back, acting like nothing ever happened. I mention to her that she really needs to keep him from hanging around so much, both for her and his sake (since they fight so much). She agrees, talks to him, and he stays away.. for 2 days.

Now I'm starting to get resentful because:

1. Sara and I don't have our privacy anymore.
2. He's eating OUR money
3. He is upsetting her unnessessarily, and me too.
4. He's causing more stress in mine and Sara's relationship.

But, she keeps allowing him to come back, and every time I get more upset. Eventually, she starts thinking that I'M also causing her stress to. I set up a bed in another room, because she doesn't feel like she has any 'alone-time'. All of the sudden, she starts calling one of our (male)friend from the school. Soon, she starts asking me to leave the room when she talks to him, so she can 'have some privacy'. Meanwhile, I'm still doing most of the housework, because niether her nor her ex-fiance are up to it. The situation really starts to grate on me, now I find it hard to go to sleep because I'm so angry. Finally, on Feb.10 (coincidentally, right after we had spent most of our money paying her bills and shopping) she announces that she's going to spend 3-4 days at the '(male) friend's' house in a couple of days. The day before she leaves (and after I had been up all night fuming) I finally let her have it (verbally) right between the eyes. I didn't curse or swear alot, and I did't threaten or scream. But I let her know that I was EXTREMELY upset about her actions over the past 3-4 weeks. She tells me that maybe I should reconsider if I wanted to stay there or not. She calls me (at her house) 2 days later and tells me I need to leave. That she would feel better if I were gone when she returned home. It was Feb.14th, St. Valentines Day..

She still claims that she never promised me anything or did anything WRONG. That I just saw something that wasn't there, and all the problem was my fault.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-08-25 11:34:21 »
Wow, thats really was a nice story to read, almost novel-like.
Women... Why...?

I know love is the best thing in the world (it is, emo's!) and everyone should have it.
But reading something like that just makes me a bit sick in the stomach.

Was she cheating on you when she wanted some private time with the other male friend?
Because if that was the case, screw her, she aint worth it anymore.

The thing is, why do women do things like this? We show affection and love and care and they take it for granted and go do whatever they like. HAVE SOME RESPECT!

My girlfriend only has male friends... This was indeed pretty hard for me to see at the beginning of our relationship but now (1 year and 7 months later) i know she will always stick with me and i just know that..

The hardest part of a relation is when you had some time together but when you see enough so many times it gets kinda normal.
By normal I mean you are used to eachother.

Most relationships crash in that area because they've seen eachother and decide they dont fit together.
I totally lost my point here but now i wanne post this anyway, hope it has some use.

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-08-25 22:05:10 »
@chaos..

Don't get me wrong, that I was jealous simply because she was talking to another guy. For my part, I don't blame the (male) friend in question at all. She had talked to him plenty of times in front of me, not caring a whit if I heard or not. The problem was all the OTHER stuff, along with the fact that she couldn't tell me face-to-face that she didn't want me anymore.

I was pretty emotionally devestated for a while. But life goes on, albiet not so plesantly. I learned my lesson and will never hang my heart out there again for other people to play 'punching bag' with. It's just not worth it. Unfortunately or not, I'm going to make the next girl prove her love for me, not the other way around. And if it doesn't happen.. c'est l'amore, c'est le guerre. It's suppossed to be a partnership, not a surrender.

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-08-25 23:51:12 »

Its detailed quite well elsewhere on the forums, however I shall sum it up for you here (it's a classic boy meets girl tale):

November: Boy breaks up with a girl, meets new girl. New girl likes boy, boy not ready for relationship. Boy and new girl become friends.
December: Uni break, boy and new girl email and text constantly.
January: New girl meets new guy, new girl completely ignores boy.
February: New girl randomly talks to boy when she is bored, she is obviously still attracted from all the comments she makes and way she acts.
March: Boy tells new girl where to go because he is tired of being ignored when it suits new girl. New girl apologises and follows boy round for a few days.
April: Boy goes away for a week, on the journey home new girl texts constantly. Over next few days a hundred or so texts are received so new girl gets msn. Boy and new girl get on really well, and talk constantly.
May: New girl randomly tells boy that she only thinks of him as a friend. Boy not bothered since he is chasing 3 other girls. New girl decides she wants attention and constantly flirts. Boy ignores it.
June: New girl asks boy out on date, boy goes and has fun. New girl asks guy out on another date then 3 more 3 days in a row. New girl then tells boy over msn that she is going to sleep with him. Later new girl texts boy to tell him she really likes him and asks him to come round the next day. Next day they lie in the park, apparently all the clouds look like hearts and inspire love in the girl. Girl then invites boy back to hers. Boy walks through the door and girl ignores him for 2 hours then boy gives up and goes home. Girl then ignores boy for a day, boy asks whats going on as he thought they had something good going on. Girl says she just wants to stay friends. Boy asks girl what happened, girl tells boy it was all a joke and boy got the wrong end of the stick. Girl then decides to not talk to boy and blame him because she does not want to answer any difficult questions, such as how can she joke about liking someone.
July: Girl comes up to boy in bar and acts like nothing is wrong, boys best friend is restrained by her friend from punching girl in face. Boy ignores girl and girl stares at boy for 20 minutes before boy and friends move bar. Boy sends email to girl asking for his stuff back, girl ignores. Boy gets girl on msn, she says she will get stuff back to him and reveals that she has been dating 4 guys at once. Boy gets slightly annoyed. 2 Weeks later boy still hasn't got his stuff so sends nasty email. Girl replies and tells him its his fault she hasn't done what she said and that its his fault that they are no longer friends. Boy gets girl to mail him his stuff then rolls over and goes back to sleep (with best friend  8-)). Boy never hears from girl again.

My friends think she was annoyed that I didn't care when she said she wanted to be friends the first time and decided to try and get me to like her so she could do that to me. Apparently she is quite the manipulative cow.
I'm sorry to hear that... same for RW_66, you both had a hard time! ugh, I've heard a theory that girls like to have a challenge to get the guy so to speak, and they don't like it when guys are too loving. Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone mad?! From what I've noticed, messing a girl around can sometimes make her stay more than being nice to her-Pity I'm not willing to play that game!

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-08-28 21:50:45 »
Since a while back all my friends decided we would make it a regular thing to get together have a game of football every saturday (anyone is welcome if you are in north west london on a saturday), and we meet up so often and just crash out in someone's front room and beat each other up on Pro evolution soccer (not the best thing for a 26 year old to do I know!).

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-08-30 00:06:13 »
Might take you up on that offer sometime Skillster, pity I can't play football at all, but am planning to start! (Always been into boxing and stuff more!)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-08-30 08:08:41 »
Since a while back all my friends decided we would make it a regular thing to get together have a game of football every saturday (anyone is welcome if you are in north west london on a saturday), and we meet up so often and just crash out in someone's front room and beat each other up on Pro evolution soccer (not the best thing for a 26 year old to do I know!).
Football as in soccer or American Football?
(You're from Londen and I thought they meant soccer with it over there)

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-08-30 17:37:31 »
Everywhere EXCEPT America, football is soccer..  :mrgreen:

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-08-31 21:32:50 »
right you are RW.