Author Topic: Has anyone tried tackleing FF8's battle fields yet?  (Read 4857 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Buy it's been a few years, hasn't it?

I'm just wondering. Also is there an extractor tool for the PSX version of FF8, as it seems to use Squares own filesystem on the disk.

I remember that someone got thier fingers into FF7's battle fields a while ago. Anything come from that?

Just rolling around in the background...

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Has anyone tried tackleing FF8's battle fields yet?
« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-20 09:19:58 »
I dont THINK anyone has made a field viewer for 8 yet...Its mainly been trying to crack the little part of 7 thats left....I would help but Im no good at that stuff so like you, I float around in the background...

Oh and the battle feild viewer for 7 has been a sucsess from what i have seen of it...

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-20 10:31:35 »
Hello halkun, long time no see...
FF7 battle scenes are fully decoded, i've implmented them into Biturn viewer/convertor. Also I think that Ficedula has done some viewer program for it too.

FF8 models... i would think that Qhimm has decyphered most of it, I think that he can view battle models and IMHO battle scenes are not too far from battle models ... Me myself can view only field models of main characters. Also someone found on the net some viewer for FF8 battle model creatures.

But thats all on PC versions. AFAIK only Cyberman was doing something to PSX FF7...

What exactly do you need ?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-20 12:02:21 »
Well, I'm gonna go and grab FF8 for the PSX today and poke at the disks a little bit. I just remeber there bing a huge IMG file on the disk, I was just windering if there was an extractor to decompress square's filesystem on the PSX version of FF8 so I could poke at them...

THat's all...

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-20 13:12:49 »
halkun!
It's fine to see you again!
Welcome back!

- Alhexx

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-23 03:50:26 »
Quote from: halkun
Buy it's been a few years, hasn't it?

Programmers are still genetically lazy. What do you expect? ;)

Quote from: darkdevil
I dont THINK anyone has made a field viewer for 8 yet...

Well, Snailrush has a FF8 PSX background viewer that you might be interested in. I only have a PC copy, so I haven't used it.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-25 15:34:40 »
Well, I'm gonna go and grab FF8 for the PSX today and poke at the disks a little bit. I just remeber there bing a huge IMG file on the disk, I was just windering if there was an extractor to decompress square's filesystem on the PSX version of FF8 so I could poke at them...

THat's all...

Whale it's been a long while :)
FF8's PSX version is a binary image of variable sector SIZES (everyone grab there head it's a headache). Movies and data files are all aligned to 2K sector offsets within the file however not all sectors of this file are standard 2K sectors. The movies abuse the extra 256 bytes in the sectors for data.

Someone is working on a debug version of PCSX for better 'inspection' of games (little grin).  It would make finding things in FF8 FF7 and FF9 a lot easier that's for certain :)

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-29 23:55:18 »
Quote from: Cyberman

however not all sectors of this file are standard 2K sectors. The movies abuse the extra 256 bytes in the sectors for data.

You know, they really know how to sqeeze blood from a stone. Can you imagine the poor compression engineer at squaresoft? Here he is with 8 gig of data and having some boss telll him he's gotta fit it on four CDs.

"Oh, and by the way, you mind creating a sector-based filesystem from scratch so we don't have some european guy poking around our files while you're at it?"

And they wonder why Japanese have such a high suicide rate...

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-30 11:28:15 »

"Oh, and by the way, you mind creating a sector-based filesystem from scratch so we don't have some european guy poking around our files while you're at it?"

And they wonder why Japanese have such a high suicide rate...

Lmao