Author Topic: What consoles do you all own?  (Read 24574 times)

Kashmir

• View Profile
What consoles do you all own?
« on: 2006-11-22 10:53:27 »

What consoles do you all own?

Im about to get one soon but the last console i owned was a sega so i dont exactly know whats out there or whether i should just avoid them alltogether seeing as ive pretty much played everything computers have to offer.

Fergus McMillan

Re: What consoles do you all own?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-22 14:33:14 »
I have a PS1 and a PS2 currently, before that I had a Genesis, before that I had a Nintendo. I'm planning to get a PS3 once the price drops and MGS4 and FFXIII come out.

Jari

« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-22 14:39:14 »
The Mighty Box of X, and the Pay-not-quite-so-much-Station 2.

Really generic question you have there, I don't think that we can tell you whether you should get one, or avoid them altogether. I would almost suggest heading over to Metacritic, and checking out if any of the platforms have games that interest you.

I would go so far as to say that from a technical viewpoint it doesn't matter which console you pick, as long as you are comparing the same generation (well, maybe with the exception of Wii and its different target audience). The possible differences are not that great between Xbox and PS2, and it looks like they are not very large between 360 and PS3 either.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-22 14:42:21 »
None. Absolutely none. Never even had one in my life as far as I can recall. I mostly rely on emulators.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-22 19:12:10 »
I had a Nintendo NES when I was a kid and that's all I had until 2 years ago when I bought a GC. Bad idea. It's a nice machine, but I has been so wasted... Well, at least is cheap.
Then I bought a cheap DC simply because of my collector spirit. Not that I'm really using it, but it's a piece of history.
And this summer I finally bought a DS Lite. Very nice machine, defintly a good purchase. If you spend a lot of time on the bus or the train, I'd certainly advise you to get one.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #5 on: 2006-11-22 19:28:55 »
PS2.... and an AMD Socket 939 3000XP with PCI-E 6600GT PC are my only gaming outlet, of today.

Vehek: You were doing good, until you said that last sentence.....

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-11-23 04:20:43 »
I currently own a PlayStation, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2, and a GameCube. I actually just recently purchased the GameCube only for the latest installment in the Legend of Zelda series, Twilight Princess. Hey, call me crazy for buying a system for one game, but I got the system for $25.00 (USD).

As for the latest consoles out there, personally, I wouldn't go buy one just yet. More often than not, they're over-priced and temperamental. The console will most likely die on you and cause you to purchase a replacement before the next generation of systems is released. Therefore, I advise you to wait about a year until the prices drop and all of the consoles are basically as good as they're going to get.

For buying one, it's entirely up to you which one you buy. Each of the three, newest "main" consoles out there (PlayStation 3, Wii, and XBox 360) have their strengths, their weaknesses, but more importantly, they have video game series franchises tied to them. I never kept up with XBox and Microsoft very much (the biggest proprietary money maker they have is Halo, if you ask me), but the Wii has the Legend of Zelda series attached to it, along with Mario and several other prominent video game figures that are generally associated with Nintendo and that you are most likely most familiar with. In my opinion, the PlayStation 3 and Sony produce the best video game series (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear [for some reason I keep thinking there was a Metal Gear installment on GameCube...], Resident Evil [though, again, the GameCube saw some Resident Evil action], and the Grand Theft Auto series [though you may see that on the latest XBox]), but I personally am more attracted to those types of games.

Establish what you want out of a console. This is my general consensus of opinion in the matter (note that I am mostly speaking of past experiences with the three companies [Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony] and assuming that their past practices carry into the next generation of consoles):

If it's for a good time with friends, more interactive and casual gaming, go with the Wii.
If you want in-depth story games, containing mostly single player action and generally long gameplay hours, look up the PlayStation 3.
If multi-player action with similarly themed games as the PlayStation 3, and with superb visuals, I recommend you try the XBox 360.

A final note is that, though the prices on all three consoles differs independently, the PlayStation 3 is A LOT more expensive than the other two. A lot of opinion I've seen and heard from people is that the Wii will dominate the gaming market this generation. Hey, it eventually comes down to being your call on what kind of experience you want from your games.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-11-23 07:38:37 »
uhh...

Atari 2600
Amiga 600
Commodore 64
Nes
Snes
N64
Gamecube
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox (Kinda died I guess)
Game-Boy (2x normal, color, 2x advance, pocket, sp)
DS
Megadrive
Mastersystem
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast

I might have missed one, but I can edit so doesnt matter really.

You might think OMFG hes and addict!
but it's mostly because I like some of the games on them so i buy the system cus they're worth 10 bucks nowadays, except newer systems, i just have those because i wanted them when they got released :P.

And I don't sell them because by the time im done with em they arent worth anything anymore..

Jari

« Reply #8 on: 2006-11-23 08:14:07 »
[for some reason I keep thinking there was a Metal Gear installment on GameCube...]

There was. Not to mention on Xbox. And PC. Up to now it's been 'timed exclusive' of Sony. MGS3 being totally exclusive.

Grand Theft Auto series [though you may see that on the latest XBox]

More than likely, considering that Rockstar is advertising simultaneous release on their page. Just like the previous GTAs were on Xbox too, again merely timed exclusives.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #9 on: 2006-11-23 09:38:16 »
PC
notebook
some japanese clone of Nintendo with 50 games and lightgun for shooting ducks.

that's all, I can't afford to have many consoles, too expensive.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-11-23 09:39:49 »
I currently have a SNES, N64, GC, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and I plan to get a Wii by the end of the week. I used to have a NES, but a game genie broke it. I may get a 360 and a PS2 eventually.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-11-23 11:30:20 »
Actually GC has more Resident evil games than PS2 :-P

Jari

« Reply #12 on: 2006-11-23 14:24:13 »
uhh...

Amiga 600
Commodore 64

Uhh... to yourself. Since when have these two been consoles of any kind?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-11-23 16:14:23 »
uhh...

Amiga 600
Commodore 64

Wow, you are actually right, I'm sure this will be forgiven though.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-11-23 18:42:35 »
Oh yeah, I forgot to put "PC" and "Calculator that I installed Tetris on" into my list. Also, does "Stratego" count as a single-game console that doesn't have a screen?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-11-23 21:23:03 »
Oh yeah, I forgot to put "PC" and "Calculator that I installed Tetris on" into my list. Also, does "Stratego" count as a single-game console that doesn't have a screen?
Only if you put a monitor on the board.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #16 on: 2006-11-23 21:25:24 »
--------------------------------Consoles
SNES  <-- My favorite
N64
Gamecube
--------------------------------Handhelds
Super Old-School Blocky Gray Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Game Boy Advance SP
Nintendo DS Lite
Ti-83 (I suppose...)

Kashmir

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-11-24 02:09:58 »
uhh...

Amiga 600
Commodore 64

The commodore was a awesome console with its tape deck plug-in, lol. I had space invaders, tron, digger(dig-dug) & others on it.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-11-24 05:54:28 »
C64 isn't a console Kashmir, it's a micro-computer.

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-11-24 08:39:38 »
N64, Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy SP, Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube. Nice list eh? I actualy wish I had some of the older consoles... *tears* I miss them! I want my Sega Genesis with Sonic!!!!

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-11-24 10:54:12 »
uhh...

Amiga 600
Commodore 64

Tron rox0rs.

The commodore was a awesome console with its tape deck plug-in, lol. I had space invaders, tron, digger(dig-dug) & others on it.

Jari

« Reply #21 on: 2006-11-24 15:52:31 »

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-11-25 00:25:34 »
NES, Playstation2 and more recently a DS Lite, after being pestered by my friends to get one.

Kashmir

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-11-25 11:03:01 »
C64 isn't a console Kashmir, it's a micro-computer.

Meh, whats the difference.

Jari

« Reply #24 on: 2006-11-25 11:15:57 »
Considerably larger than the difference between a modern PC and modern console. Back then consoles were truly dedicated gaming machines, while computers were... well, computers.

Or like Wikipedia says:

A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer. The term is used to distinguish a machine designed for consumers to buy and use solely for playing video games from a personal computer, which has many other functions, or arcade games, which are designed for businesses to buy and then charge others to play.

I can't even believe that I have to explain something so fundamental.

Pity that (world's only?) webserver running on C64 seems to be down.