Author Topic: Final Fantasy 1 NES : The other Final Fantasy  (Read 6934 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Final Fantasy 1 NES : The other Final Fantasy
« on: 2010-03-14 19:54:30 »
This is going to be long...

A few days ago my main computer made 4 popping noises and shut off. My motherboard seen to have blown 4 caps explosively and about 8 more were melted. It also took out my main hard drive, and my graphics card. It wasn't that big of a loss. I've been running a Pentium 4 with a PNY G-force 5200 AGP with 160GB hard drive for a while and needed an upgrade anyway. My new system is a Core 2 Duo 7500 with a G-force 210, 4 gig of ram running win 7 64bit and a TB hard drive.

As I slowly recover from my backups. I discovered a few projects that have been collecting dust. One of which was me disassembling FF1  for the NES and putting it into compilable 6502 code. It was more of a documentation project to show how the original game worked using the real code.

If anyone wants to help, I can get you started with the tools and how to take the game apart. It's actually pretty simple, just tedious. In a perfect world. A *real* FF7 remake would be cool for the NES. (There are a few hacks, but not a rewrite like I'm thinking). The biggest ROM a NES can hold is 1024K Prog and 1024K char. (with an MMC5 mapper) that would be more than enough. The original NES FF1 used MMC1 (256K) and the biggest was FF3 that was 512k. Still not that big.

Here was some of that silly experiment...

Anyway, anyone want to help, or just have any questions?

alloy

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 1 NES : The other Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-14 20:54:13 »
FF1 disassembly you say?

« Last Edit: 2010-03-14 20:56:30 by alloy »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-14 21:48:06 »
that's not the nes version...
I've been able to extract the map years ago. Actually I have almost all the data identified in the game. I was going to actually break down the source code itself.

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-15 00:15:16 »
Lol sorry , just though id post that here. It was sorta related...anyways

voila!

Made it quickly doesn't fit the mesh really well.. it actually seems to be a little wider on the gba

The one though that kept going through my head was to sorta have a playable
"world map module for ff1" kinda thing, but running in full 3d in udk.

I was mostly inspired by the ending of dissidia. What i made is a test to see how well it would work.
But my goal is to have an similar version to what you seen in the ending cinema.
With the visuals downscalled to work on a graphiccard of course.

Anyways sorry i keep derailing your thread.. i will back out now lol

« Last Edit: 2010-03-15 00:29:56 by alloy »

Zande

• 友情は武器よりも強し
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-16 14:27:28 »
Could be interested of that. I've been digging thru quite abit of code of some of the WSC remade Square games. Alltho it's mostly 魔界塔士サガ (Makaitoushi Saga, Final Fantasy Legend, what have you), of which I've got almost all data down and a couple of megs worth of code, there's parts of Final Fantasy aswell.
I wrote a parser/disassembler for the WSC which outputs code like this (and then I've added in the comments).
Was a while ago since I last worked with this, could be fun to start up again and dig thru both the WSC and NES versions at the same time. Would have to read up on the 6502 again though, that part's abit rusty, heh.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-16 14:29:00 by Zande »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-19 09:42:08 »
I'd be in for writing out the script.  Maybe a bit of artwork, and you can def. count me in for testing

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-22 06:33:40 »
Well it would also be great if you could replace the dialogue with the newer releases version because I'd prefer to play it on the NES than the GBA or PSP.