Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News  (Read 124679 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News
« Reply #200 on: 2012-01-11 20:43:31 »
Thoughts on the demo anyone?

I just played through it. Does seem like there's a lot more to it this time around. I actually kinda liked the monster aspect on that little run-through there. I actually found the Atlas fight slightly challenging. No more straight lines, yay! Although I'm pissed that I don't get to play with the characters I liked from XIII.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2012-01-11 21:56:20 »
The demo basically confirmed my day 1 buy. The 3 hours I spent on it were already better than all of FFXIII gameplay-wise.

My only problem is, I started playing Skyrim today (a colleague lent it to me so I could try it) and while I was dungeon-crawling (very fun game!),my PS3 suddenly shut down. YLOD. Looks like Skyrim finished my fat 40 GB PS3 off, after at least 4 years of good & loyal services.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-11 22:01:02 by Armorvil »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2012-01-12 02:39:41 »
Bake it in the oven!

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2012-01-12 06:08:40 »
Bake it in the oven!

This does actually work. I've done it with my brothers ancient PS3, I only got mine about a year and a half ago (slim). If you don't want to bake it, you could always leave it for a bit and try again? Sometimes it just miraculously works again. Then will shut off again at some point.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2012-01-12 06:39:52 »
If it is a capacitor issue, it is as simple as opening it up, looking at which have blown, and replacing with new ones.  Not too hard at all, get a soldering iron.  Look online at how to find faulty capacitors and how to find the values, it can be done by eye.  Power issues are nearly always related and the capacitors will be situated on the main power board.  Then go on ebay and get a good quality replacement.  Make sute that the microfarad value is similar if not same, and that the voltage value is the same (although higher is preferable).

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2012-01-12 08:29:11 »
Thanks guys, Ill try the oven method. There are plenty of nice youtube videos and stuff to help in the process. I just need the tools.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2012-01-12 10:46:28 »
The YLOD is usually caused by using poor quality solder on the bga connections of the cell or gpu. Heating it to just above solder melting point for 5 mins and then slow cooling it will cause the solder to reflow to the connections that have been broken by the heating/cooling cycles of the chips. To get into  the old fat style ps3 you need a t10 or t15 security torx driver. I cannot remember which one.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2012-01-12 10:47:35 »
Perhaps thats why the oven works lmao.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2012-01-12 23:35:33 »
Funny how a PS3 can be fixed in the oven. Crazy.

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2012-01-13 16:33:54 »
To begin with, I thought FFXIII-2 would just be generic gameplay and generally terrible after playing the original, but the few hours I spent in FFXIII-2 was immensely more enjoyable than any of the time I spent in the original.

although, am I the only one that secretly hopes Lebreau has a bigger role than she did in the original game?

(her battle style in the original made her my favourite and i found her personality better than Vanille and would much rather have her in my team than either Snow or Fang, i actually ended up buying the xbox version of the game to cheat her into my party.)

but, I don't see myself wanting to buy FFXIII-2 on day 1 release, but when the price goes from £40 to around £25, then I'll get it. (or day 1 release if i can get the money from trading in games.)

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2012-01-13 16:41:20 »
although, am I the only one that secretly hopes Lebreau has a bigger role than she did in the original game?

To be perfectly honest, I can barely remember her. The whole NORA thing just made no sense as a plot device to me. I honestly can't see her having a bigger role in this game, when you consider the fact that she was barely in the last one, and the fact that the ACTUAL characters are barely in this one.

Why do you find her interesting? I've played XIII through a good few times and she doesn't even register on my radar.

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2012-01-13 18:32:31 »
When I was playing the game, i was actually disappointed she only appeared in the first level...

against each person. (and if for the person that they don't really 'relate', I'll basically say something about what I thought did or didn't make sense in comparison to Lebreau)

Vanille
I think her design is more interesting than Vanille's.  (not to mention she doubles as a pseudo white mage with her potions.)

Snow
her weapon makes more sense than Snow's in the sense that your coat can magically make you able to punch a robot's circuits out, and Snow being the leader of Nora made... little sense, Lebreau seems more level headed and suited to that role, while Gadot and the others are better for the grunt work.
(except the kid, he seems to just be a random kid they picked up.)

Gadot
She uses her firearm in a much more realistic manner than Gadot, but she does slightly show off with her battle stance, which in turn is reminisce of Blank from FF9 (who happened to be my favourite from FF9) which automatically boosts her rating in my books.

Fang
Main thing that Lebreau has over Fang is the fact she doesn't have a random australian accent, but in terms of personality, the two are similar and I imagined Lebreau acting similar to Fang if she was kept as a final party member.

Lightning
She has personality and isn't a cross between Cloud and Squall.

Hope
I don't really get why Hope was kept as a proper party member, sure, he wanted revenge, but, I found his whole story and scenario forced, and basically, I just like Lebreau more than Hope.
for Lebreau, I thought that her role (shown mostly in flashbacks) showed that she was responsible and had abilities to raise funds for operations and keep account of other aspects with the shop and how she acted more mature than other people, ie, Snow.

<anyone else hoping he'd actually use Lightning's knife? I thought he could have 2 knives that combine into a boomerang or something...>

Sazh
...I just didn't like Sazh... at all, he'd basically a skinny Barret, except for Cid's past with a ridiculous Afro-being-a-bird-nest idea that probably started as an office joke, that they kept in the game because it was 'funny'.
plus, how do two handguns turn into an assault rifle!?

as for the Nora being used as a plot device, personally, I think it would have been better if NORA was just people on the purge train that decided they didn't want to go and acted up, since thats all Nora really became in the end.

but, Lebreau was shown saving Serah from monsters and chiding her and saying that she had to look after herself, i want the ability to talk to her more often if nothing else. *_*

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2012-01-13 20:20:18 »
Well, each to their own I guess. I also really disliked Sazh, he had some terrible lines. I also disagree with quite a lot about what you said, though I don't care enough to argue the point. Like I said, each to their own. However....

Fang
Main thing that Lebreau has over Fang is the fact she doesn't have a random australian accent, but in terms of personality, the two are similar and I imagined Lebreau acting similar to Fang if she was kept as a final party member.

There's nothing "random" about Fang and Vanille's Australian accents. They have Australian accents because they're from Pulse. It's an early clue that they're both from the same place and that they're from somewhere else.

I get that a lot of people hate on Vanille because she had a whiny voice, but quite a lot of people complain about the fact that she's portrayed with an Australian accent.

Speaking as someone who has family in both Australia and New Zealand, I can honestly say that both accents were done extremely well. I would never have guessed that the VA's weren't Australian, so kudos to them. I also thought the Australian accent suited them really well. Just my opinion on that whole "issue".

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2012-01-13 20:37:51 »
I know that they both have australian accents to hint that they're both from the same place, but originally, they didn't really speak using other dialects or anything and was just added for the dub.

Its random in the sense that it was added whe the original character didn't have any aspect of anything remotely similar to it, thus making it random, but I do agree that it was well portrayed, unlike the british accents in Folklore, those were just ABYSMAL.

and, to each their own, thats one reason why I like Lebreau more than anyone else in FF13. (I hated Sazh, he was annoying and the whole chocobo chick thing immensely annoyed me.)

Everyone has their own way of perceiving characters, and I just liked some more than others, just as others like other chars more than others, and not even registering some.

but, why did they change Snow's design the way they did for 13-2? he was reasonably cool looking, and now, looks... baaad. *_*

...Hope looks good though, I like his future design more than his original.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2012-01-13 20:43:34 »
Haha, he probably had a sweaty head from that toilet roll bandanahat.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2012-01-14 16:44:05 »
Before I play the demo should I beware of spoilers? I never finished xiii due to the hard drive in my ps3 crapping out.

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2012-01-14 17:36:39 »
There's no real spoilers in the demo for the original, but make sure you can keep a constant connection when you download it, for me, it took almost 6 hours to download it, stupid 1.78gb demo.  :P

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2012-01-14 21:56:14 »
Chocolina is amazing. I love her voice.

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2012-01-14 22:03:36 »
After seeing Chocoline, I seriously considered making a field model for her and having her replace the merchants in every shop.

I have to say, I actually think she is one of the best merchants of the FF series.

But, the best one is the merchant from Resident Evil 4. :P

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2012-01-14 23:07:41 »
Chocolina is awesome. She reminds me of various NPC's from Final Fantasy X. Also, she sounds like a higher pitched version of Jesse from the Pokémon series. The original series that is, that I haven't seen since Fox Kids was a channel on Sky.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2012-01-18 16:39:25 »
Played demo, changed paradigm to War and peace spammed X, finished the first fight, deleted demo, would not surprise me if you could beat the entire game like that so I just saved myself £40 I wasn't gonna spend on the game in the first place...

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2012-01-18 16:49:12 »
Wow, that fight must have taken a long time.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2012-01-18 20:24:31 »
But, the best one is the merchant from Resident Evil 4. :P

Haha yes! "Got a good selection of things on sale, stranger!"

blueknavish

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2012-01-19 11:00:24 »
all i have to say is i will never buy another final fantasy game again. they've obviously done something wrong to make me feel this way and have abandoned their true fans. end of topic.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2012-01-25 20:46:47 »
Early Famitsu leaks brings us news about the upcoming Lightning colosseum battle for Final Fantasy XIII-2 Square Enix teased in December. Just like Omega, players will be able to fight Lightning, dressed in her Final Fantasy XIII outfit. Win and you can add Lightning to your party. Other classic monsters will appear in the colosseum as downloadable content.

An interview also reveals players will be able to get an episode with a new storyline focused on Lightning that reveals the hidden truth behind the game’s endings.

Square Enix is also interested in continuing the Final Fantasy XIII-2 storyline with scenarios for Sazh, Dajh (his son), and Chocolina (the time-traveling merchant). The format for these side-stories has not been decided. Two options mentioned in the interview are more DLC episodes and novels.

Chocolina playable? Woop xDD